Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: problem with ffm
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 06:20 PM

They rarely check. I think it nearly 30 years I've been asked two or three times.

But... what most people don't think about is if, for some reason, you need to be evacuated back to the U.S. in a timely manner for some life threatening medical condition/accident, not having the proper immigration paperwork will slow down, or depending on the situation even halt the evacuation process. In a medical emergency time matters.

Just something to think about.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 07:02 PM

If you get into an accident and don't have the proper papers to be in the country, it maybe an issue.
Even it may make your insurance invalid, which, if there'e substantial money involved, will likely be pursuit by the insurance company.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
lhenlex

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 12:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
If you get into an accident and don't have the proper papers to be in the country, it maybe an issue.
Even it may make your insurance invalid, which, if there'e substantial money involved, will likely be pursuit by the insurance company.

My husband is a mexican citizen. I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired. But he goes to school in Tijuana so we're just gonna bring his school ID. Hope that works...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lhenlex  

My husband is a mexican citizen. I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired. But he goes to school in Tijuana so we're just gonna bring his school ID. Hope that works...

It seems a bit odd that your son is in Mexico everyday for school without visa, but you are concerned he needs a visa to travel within Mexico?
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:45 AM

Make sure you have your son's birth certificate to enter back into the USA. They cannot deny entry to a US citizen but I assume you have to prove it!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:54 AM

Actually, they can do just about anything they want to do at the moment. The border zone is a good place to bite your tongue, grin and bear it, and move on. Just consider it a ten minute visit to the dentist.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
lhenlex

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It seems a bit odd that your son is in Mexico everyday for school without visa, but you are concerned he needs a visa to travel within Mexico?

we live 5 mins from the border TJ side..for some reason going further than Rosarito requires the tourist permit or ffm..i only found out about this when I started researching about driving to Cabos.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:57 AM

THAT HAS CHANGED!
There is no longer a "Border zone" where tourist cards are not needed... and that was ONLY if you Mexico stay was no more than 3 days!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:09 AM

The last two times we passed the mid way point,we did in fact have permits. We where on motos we all pulled out our permits to show. He would not even look. Told us keep going.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The last two times we passed the mid way point,we did in fact have permits. We where on motos we all pulled out our permits to show. He would not even look. Told us keep going.

I was part of a chase crew and we were supposed to have FMM's issued by SCORE, typical of them those were delayed so we got pulled over, fined, passports confiscated and lost a full day of prerunning. It's hit and miss but I've never gone back without crossing all the T's and dotting the i's. I think Mulegena is correct, we're foreigners and should play by the rules where we visit whether it's expedient or not.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:52 AM

I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired.

I bet if you go to the FMM office with the expired passport they either won't notice it's expired or won't care. Just keep mum and act surprised if they say something.

Afterall, it is a US passport. You don't lose citizenship when it expires.

Give it a try.
lhenlex

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I will get the tourist permit. But my 9 yr old son can't because his passport expired.

I bet if you go to the FMM office with the expired passport they either won't notice it's expired or won't care. Just keep mum and act surprised if they say something.

Afterall, it is a US passport. You don't lose citizenship when it expires.

Give it a try.

i will! thank you
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

I was part of a chase crew and we were supposed to have FMM's issued by SCORE, typical of them those were delayed so we got pulled over, fined, passports confiscated and lost a full day of prerunning. It's hit and miss but I've never gone back without crossing all the T's and dotting the i's. I think Mulegena is correct, we're foreigners and should play by the rules where we visit whether it's expedient or not.

wow! what kind of fine and how did you get your passports back?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
THAT HAS CHANGED!
There is no longer a "Border zone" where tourist cards are not needed... and that was ONLY if you Mexico stay was no more than 3 days!

My reference, "Border zone", was to the crossing. Anyway, the zone you allude to, David, was called the "Free zone" if I'm not mistaken.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 11:05 AM

Hi Dennis, I was responding to the OP (Ihenlex) when she said that she heard going south of Rosarito required a tourist card. Of course, we know it was Maneadero/ Punta Banda where no tourist card was needed for trips of 72 hours or less.

In either case, more than 72 hours anywhere in Mexico was the rule or (now) all trips south technically require an FMM.

The tourist card (FM-T before) was FREE from about 1962 until mid-2000. The border region did extend to San Felipe or Maneadero whereas in the rest of Mexico it extended only 20 kms. or so south of the border. In Sonora, it did go at least south to Puerto Peņasco.

The Free Zone is (or was) the area where no TIP (Temporary Import Permit $$$) is required for automobiles in Mexico. That is the entire peninsula of Baja California and in Sonora as far as Guaymas (The Sonora Free Zone).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 04:50 PM

It was back in 2009 that the chase crew had our passports confiscated until we paid the bank and showed the receipt with an FMM. Fine was $75 but went up quite a bit the next year. As I mentioned, we lost a day of prerunning since we had to go to the approved bank to get receipts and FMM receipts after we made payment.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:15 PM

The 'Border Zone/Free Zone' were often used interchangeably.
I have tried to explain to some aquaintances the change of
last Oct. that requires ALL Tourists entering TJ at SY that
technically an fmm is now required, no matter of the length
of time in Mex, my explanation is rarely paid attention too,
generally followed by the 3 day, only so. of Ensenada OLD practiced
immigration regs debate, with an occasional 'know it all SOB', (not so. of the border'). I imagine crossers driving into TJ
that get fmm's are in the low double didgits, if that.
To further confuse things, I
understand one can cross over for the day in at least
Mexicali without needing an fmm, maybe other POE. Hasn't
always been so, but I go out of my way to comply with
everything Mex Authorities require

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:26 PM

Because both the poster and her US-born son live in Mexico they should both have residency visas.

Here's the law and means to obtain visas and/or citizenship based on relationship to a Mexican citizen: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/cambio-a-residente-temporal...

and: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/solicitud-de-carta-de-natur...

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 08:30 AM

Got my 6 month FMM yesterday for the upcoming winter in BCS. 8 AM San Ysidro. Parked to the far right before the gates. No wait, I was the only person. First the IMN office where the agent copied info to the FMM form from my passport card. Then to the bank across the hall, $20.21. Back to the IMN office with bank receipt for the stamp. 5 to 10 minutes total.

All set to take off in a few weeks. :bounce:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.