Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja Safety
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Didn't a trailer/motorhome burn up after someone broke into it not to long ago?...Sheet happens everywhere.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71712

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweatpeas  
Obviously Joejustjoe found my other thread but is to much of a "man" (or not enough) to apologize.

Sweatpeas wrote: " Thanks for all the help on the other thread."

What other thread are you talking about?

You have 13 posts now, yet only four posts show up in the search function?

What happened to the other nine posts? I ask, because when posts are removed that's one of the sure signs a troll is around.

If I were to guess, you go around asking questions in threads, yet you never offer useful information for others. You don't even give a reason for your safely questions.

There is nothing wrong with asking newbie questions, but if you do, you should also include the reasons why you're asking.

Have you ever been to Mexico before?

Do you have a upcoming trip to Mexico?

Are you looking to buy property in Mexico?

What's your story?

Forums are usually give and take.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Obviously Joejustjoe found my other thread but is to much of a "man" (or not enough) to apologize.

What happened to the other nine posts? I ask, because when posts are removed that's one of the sure signs a troll is around.

If I were to guess, you go around asking questions in threads, yet you never offer useful information for others. You don't even give a reason for your safely questions.

There is nothing wrong with asking newbie questions, but if you do, you should also include the reasons why you're asking.

What's your story?

funny...I see all 13! and who cares?:rolleyes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

What's your story?

funny...I see all 13! and who cares?:rolleyes:

I see them all as well...Maybe Joe is looking with one eye closed?:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:44 PM

Joe, you simply click the "FIND" button under anyone's post to see all their posts. sweatpeas pops up with 13 posts shown when I just clicked FIND under his post above.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Ignore Joe. He's just......well.......Joe.

Lets, just say Dennis and I go way back, and we don't like each other, and we have opposite views on just about everything.

I'll take the high road, and really don't want to make Dennis cry with my own insults back to him. What I could never understand, is why you people here on "Baja Nomad" seem to like Dennis? Who your friends are often speaks volumes about you yourself.

But these kind of threads are like pet peeves to me.

You'll see threads like this all the time on Mexico or Baja forums, where somebody will ask the question, " IS MEXICO SAFE?"

There is a wide variation of this question, "IS MEXICO SAFE," other examples, are IS BAJA SAFE?, IS TIJUANA SAFE?, IS CANCUN SAFE?, AM I SAFE IN MEXICO? ARE MEXICO HOTELS SAFE? THERE ARE OTHER BAJA FORUMS, THAT WANT TO KNOW IF MEXICO SEX WORKERS ARE SAFE, AND THE LIST IS ENDLESS WITH THE VARIATIONS ON THE MEXICO SAFETY QUESTION.

Since this question is one of my pet peeves, I think the appropriate answer to give back is, "NO MEXICO IS NOT SAFE" SO FIND A NICE MEXICAN RESTAURANT IN THE STATES FOR THAT NICE AUTHENTIC MEXICAN EXPERIENCE AND JUST STAY HOME.

How do you really answer a question like this, Is Mexico safe? Do you hear the same stupid question about the USA.....IS the US safe?

Generally speaking the USA is safe, but so is Mexico. Except in both countries there are some very bad places, and Mexico does have it's share of very bad bad people as Trump would say. Mexico can never be totality safe, but you can say the same thing about crossing the street.

Another thing you would do is refer them to the US State department website without the other advice they probably aren't even listening to you about anyway.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings...

But instead we get threads after threads of well meaning advice, like "always keep your head on a swivel when walking alone in Mexico, especially at night. Some say never drive or walk around in Mexico when it's dark, it's like they think Mexicans muggers are vampires and only come out at night. One of my favorite safety advise I often hear, is when walking in Tijuana, hide your money in your shoes, from corrupt TJ cops and the muggers, like they don't know scared gringos hide their money in their shoes.

My experience tells me it's just not the newbies asking "IS MEXICO SAFE QUESTIONS" but scared season veterans to Mexico, often repeat this same question, over and over and over again ad nauseam.

[Edited on 10-20-2016 by JoeJustJoe]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Joe, you simply click the "FIND" button under anyone's post to see all their posts. sweatpeas pops up with 13 posts shown when I just clicked FIND under his post above.

I see only four and I use the search function all the time. Did you actually read all 13?

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

BTW, whenever I suspect a troll is posting, I like to look at their previous posts to get a feeling where they are coming and get a sense of who they are, and it's a great way to sometimes catch people in lies.

It's been my experience people are more truthful in their early posts, than their later posts, when their online persona kicks in of somebody they would like to be.

I'm just passing this little information on which has nothing to do with this thread.

I also have a standing rule of rarely if ever responding to newbies with less than 100 posts, and that rule has served me well for a few years now. I should have followed my own rule book. That rule is in place, because I have followers who will use second handles to troll me, and because generally I dislike newbies.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 03:26 PM

I see only four and I use the search function all the time. Did you actually read all 13?

BTW, whenever I suspect a troll is posting, I like to look at their previous posts to get a feeling where they are coming and get a sense of who they are, and it's a great way to sometimes catch people in lies.

It's been my experience people are more truthful in their early posts, than their later posts, when their online persona kicks in of somebody they would like to be.

I'm just passing this little information on which has nothing to do with this thread.

I also have a standing rule of rarely if ever responding to newbies with less than 100 posts, and that rule has served me well for a few years now. I should have followed my own rule book. That rule is in place, because I have followers who will use second handles to troll me, and because generally I dislike newbies.

Then make it easy.. delete your posts and go away. Baja and Mexico is not as safe as you make it out to be.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the help on the other thread. There is a lot of comments about safety on this site. How is personal safety and property safety in Baja?

IMO there is very little talk about safety on this site (compared to other parts of Mexico), but "little" is not an exact quantitative measure so I'll let it slip.

What "property"? In your "other thread" you asked about bringing an small solar aircraft to Baja. Somehow I've missed when and how the discussion turned to property issues, - other than the aircraft itself.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Then make it easy.. delete your posts and go away. Baja and Mexico is not as safe as you make it out to be.

I would rather see Joe than censorship.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

I would rather see Joe than censorship.

No censorship, or maybe self censorship.... he stated he normally does not lower himself to comment on a newbies post...so I was giving him an easy way out...
Sweatpeas
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 05:45 PM

are you still trying to put words together?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 06:09 PM

[

No censorship, or maybe self censorship.... he stated he normally does not lower himself to comment on a newbies post...so I was giving him an easy way out...

Sorry, I'm not going anywhere, and it was a mistake to talk to a newbie in the first place, although I still can't help but feel Sweetpea isn't a newbie.

Oh no, it looks like we have an ALARMIST in our midst with Norte!

Mexico alarmists, are the type whenever they see a story from " Borderland Beat" or equivalent scary Mexico site, they re-post it or comment on it, saying, " you see how dangerous Mexico is, and I guess they go hide under the covers, and scare themselves.

Here are just three of Norte's alarmists type posts about Mexico from just a one minute search:

Norte wrote: Instead of trying to decide which one is worse. why not avoid them all? Unless of course, you are trying to justify your own poor decision making.

Norte wrote: And this from the drama king? Why don't you just admit you were wrong ad Burbey was arrested. This all just anther good reason to stay away from Mexico.

Norte wrote: Carjackings, 3 people dead from automatic weapon fire, yes lets ignore any warnings. Come on down and feed our criminals.

Norte wrote: When are people going to wake up and heed the warnings.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 07:05 PM

In regards to safety, I tell folks If you are not comfortable going to Baja don't go. If you are on the fence, I would go and keep your eyes open. Life has risks. I have never stopped going. I understand the risk and choose to go. Your mileage may vary.

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 07:09 PM

Being a victim of crime changes your perspective dramatically.
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 08:29 PM

Yep! My first house was broken into 3 times before I sold it. the 2 ed house was broken into once. Every time I lost things that were important to me, not of major value.
I now use the "walkaway theory of travel" if you can't drop it, and walk away don't take it. Goes for all my international travel.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 11:34 PM

it was a mistake to talk to a newbie in the first place, although I still can't help but feel Sweetpea isn't a newbie.

Everybody was a newbie at some time. Still, generic questions like the OP - very general and yet aimed at a wide range of hot issues - those are usually not a good sign. Zero details. What "property", what "safety", where in "Baja" - who knows... One can't expect meaningful answers to questions like this. But, with a hot issue a heated debate is guaranteed. Whether he planned it this way or - to put it mildly - not insightful enough to foresee the consequences of his actions :) - I don't know. Can be both.
Sweatpeas
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Yep! My first house was broken into 3 times before I sold it. the 2 ed house was broken into once. Every time I lost things that were important to me, not of major value.
I now use the "walkaway theory of travel" if you can't drop it, and walk away don't take it. Goes for all my international travel.

Sorry about your losses Mmc. Where did you live when these break-ins occurred?
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 08:47 AM

[rquote=1052631&tid=84316&author=JoeJustJoe
What I could never understand, is why you people here on "Baja Nomad" seem to like Dennis?
[Edited on 10-20-2016 by JoeJustJoe][/rquote]

Because he's f-ing funny! He is able to articulate for most of us grumpy dudes!
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 09:12 AM

My first place was in the Rosarito and we co owned it. The second was in Ensenada, I will be moving back to Ensenada when I retire. I live In the greater L A area.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Sorry about your losses Mmc. Where did you live when these break-ins occurred?

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.