Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Should we bring bikes to Baja
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 08:52 AM

Sounds like your not bringing them but here is one more thing I experienced: Last year it rained a lot between Tijuana and Guerrero Negro on my trip down and the bikes were covered in a fine clay/water/ mud coating. My bikes are nothing special but still a bumer
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
one more thing to worry about. doubt you'll ride them much, and you'll always, always have to keep them locked. lock them in camp, near your tent (and be sure you have GOOD neighbors when you go out kayaking) and do take them into the room if you stay in a hotel. there are lots of bolt cutters around. on carrier, anywhere you ride and stop for a few minutes (run into a bakery without locking, big big no no if you want to see the bike again)
you can easily walk both malecons mentioned, and rent bikes to do so in both cities.
if this is your first trip, you'll be busy enough. keep it simple.

Same as in USA.
You non-bikers should quit giving bike advice. You don't know diddly squat.

As the first Warm Showers Host(ess) in BCS, with years of experience with bikers-riding Hwy 1...I beg to differ with you.
Oops, just noted who posted this. Those in the know will ignore him. The others, take your pick of who knows diddly squat.
Have a great time, Buckeye!

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:23 AM
Coincidence? I think not!

http://www.billygoattavern.com/legend/curse/

Hey goat, did you have anything to do with this?
(Sorry for the hijack)

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 01:20 PM

Kayaks and bikes don't mix well, on a short vacation.

Locals use commuter bikes to commute on cheap. For a "stationary" gringo expat it serves a double purpose of commuting and exercising. You are on the move. This long drive will consume a lot of your time, kayaks and walking will be enough exercise.

Mounting bikes for inland off-roading is a different creature, I'm not familiar with this, but you won't need them for malecon.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 02:24 PM

I had a bike in La Paz once. I loved it.
I was staying there for a few months. I drove down without a bike. I flew back to LAX and home to Newport Beach Ca to take care of some business and see my son who was about 10 at the time. I went to Target and bought a $100 5 speed beach cruiser and brought it to LAX with me.
They wouldn't let me take it on the plane for some silly reason so I left it at the airport telling them I would have someone come get it within 48 hours.
I flew back to La Paz and talked to the agent there. I explained, he called LAX, and they put it on the next plane. I picked it up at LAP the next day.
I rode that bike everywhere in La Paz.
But mostly I rode up and down the Malecon end to end almost daily for over a month. Sunshine and total relaxation. Fish taco here... cold beer there... ahh La Paz...
I threw it in the back of my Ford Ranger when it was finally time to go home. At a check point on the way home somewhere around Mulege I sold it to one of the soldiers manning the post there for $75.
As I already had a nice Newport Beach cool beach cruiser at home I didn't really need it.
It's only purpose was the Malecon in La Paz...

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 04:14 PM

I always like to have a mtn bike with me for many of the same reasons others posted. It is something else to worry about, but I like being able to explore new places and it allows one to cover more distance in less time. It is also nice knowing I can hop on the bike to get parts or help if I were to have car trouble in a remote area.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 05:11 PM

I go SOB for a week at a time, stay in town, RV campground for the
week, always take a Mtn bike, would never go without it. Might
do 10 mi. a day, dinking around the streets, some dirt most paved. One slight issue is dogs, in a street pack or residents.
Seeing a pack lounging in the sun, if I can get by them, if
not, get off walk by, not getting any eye contact. I am going
to start carrying some sort of spray and a bamboo stick
if the need arises
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 06:15 PM

Not a lot of bycles around in most of the small towns in Baja Lots of dogs running loose that will chase bycles. if you decide to bring your bikes be prepared to defend yourself from crazy dogs that love to chase everything on 2 wheels
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-30-2016 at 06:34 PM

I have found that most town dogs are well experienced at being targets of rocks. Often just reaching down to pick up a rock makes them back down. Anywho, riding in rural USA and rural Mexico are same re dogs that like to chase bikes. You learn to deal with it, and ienjoy the ride.

If you have any further questions about biking anywhere in the 1000-mile-long peninsula, ask the expert, rhintransit.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 10:22 AM

I'm curious. Where did they attack you in Bahia de LA - probably not on the main road or in daytime?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I'm curious. Where did they attack you in Bahia de LA - probably not on the main road or in daytime?

???

What attack?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

???

What attack?

I think the subject was dogs chasing bicyclists.

As you are not a bicyclist, you might not be familiar with such (I suspect dogs find Toyota tacomas quite boring, not worth of chasing)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 01:00 PM

Yes, dogs. They don't chase cars as they don't see any flesh to grab. In the night they would bark at anything driving, riding or walking by. Stupid animals - most of them, anyway.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 07:50 PM

Most Dogs are easily deflected with a squirt to the face from your water bottle. 99% of dogs are pretty stunned by it, they don't expect it. For the other 1%, be quick!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2016 at 08:31 PM

If the bikes can fit inside bring them but if they are going to be left outside they will be stolen eventually. Maybe you can bring cheap bikes instead of nice bikes.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.