Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: where to retire with wife in baja to surf and ride
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 11:11 PM

Spend the next 24 months in 24 places. Report back and let us know what you decided. Learn how to pronoune Matagalpa Nicaragua. Many people like Colombia. Have you been to Chajul Guatemala? Oaxaca has good weather. Folks are wearing coats and hats in Ensenada right now. La Paz sounds good in the winter. Yea, La Paz in winter, Medellin in summer? Lets send a scout to Peru. Could be a dirt bikers dream.

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Me? Kids raised, no kids? I would rent in one place and then the next and then the next and then the next..... it's a big world and I would start in the north part of Mexico and keep going until I run out of coast.

On edit, from there well, head east or west or north.

[Edited on 12-27-2016 by soulpatch]

North sounds a little to cold.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
booniebasher

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 06:02 AM

great guys, thanks for your help, Now what equipment to take, I have a lot of stuff and definitely need to downsize. My wife is up for adventure , so she says...how should I roll , should I move in stages etc ?
I have a 30 foot class a
a sprinter moto hauler with apartment up front
f350 4x4 diesel
etc
?????
rv first with suv ?
**** mayby just the sprinter and ride a dualsport back when we ike an area and bring the next toy etc ????:?::?::?::?:
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 06:31 AM

I live in TS and trunked it yesterday at sunset if that is of any help...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 12:33 PM

I've been checking Craigslist and looks like progress has caught up with Baja rentwise as far as Rosarito.
I toyed with the idea of living there for a while but it was a fleeting thought. Just too gross.
Find the most remote location you can tolerate... and then go all in.
That's what I'm going to do.
Day 1 after I walk out of work for the last time I am heading south and not looking back.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

SONG&DANCE
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Day 1 after I walk out of work for the last time I am heading south and not looking back.

How can you offer this advice if you haven't experienced living "remote" yet?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 12:55 PM

That's a big trailer. But if you could find a spot for that I think you would do ok.
I have an F-350 too and I going to pull a trailer down and park it for a while and settle in and see what happens.
I thinking the inspiration will come and I'll find all my spots as they come to me.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 01:34 PM

Where have you visited in Baja? Speak Spanish? Each region has different weather and attractions. Come for a lookaround with a light pack.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SONG%26DANCE  

You are correct. San Quintin is not remote. And he has close neighbors, like <100 feet away.

but Baja nomad retirees are prone to grandiose pontificating on subjects they know nothing of. If they lack knowledge, they can google it and be know-it-alls!

[Edited on 12-28-2016 by BajaNomad]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by booniebasher  
great guys, thanks for your help, Now what equipment to take, I have a lot of stuff and definitely need to downsize. My wife is up for adventure , so she says...how should I roll , should I move in stages etc ?
I have a 30 foot class a
a sprinter moto hauler with apartment up front
f350 4x4 diesel
etc
?????
rv first with suv ?
**** mayby just the sprinter and ride a dualsport back when we ike an area and bring the next toy etc ????:?::?::?::?:

If you bring all that stuff, the first time you leave it alone the local thieves will swoop down and take it all :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

booniebasher

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 03:31 PM

im thinkin about just the sprinter van and a couple of motos, and surfboards.....live in the van jus tlong enough to find a good deal on a rental. Mayby keep going south , 6 months at a time. Friend said todos santos and sayuita would be good choices to retire or stay long term ?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 03:55 PM

If it's of the grid it's remote enough. Nearest store is about 8 miles.
It feels pretty remote.
But if it's too remote you can't leave anything. Neighbors watch your stuff.
But like I said as remote as you can tolerate.
I like pretending it's remote. I can still drive into town for a taco if I want.
I can drive out to Punta Meso and feel like I am all alone.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by SONG%26DANCE  

You are correct. San Quintin is not remote. And he has close neighbors, like <100 feet away.

but Baja nomad retirees are prone to grandiose pontificating on subjects they know nothing of. If they lack knowledge, they can google it and be know-it-alls!

It's not that complicated. That's the point of the whole thing isn't it?

[Edited on 12-28-2016 by fishbuck]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-28-2016 at 08:07 AM

All that really matters is that you are in your happy place. If you add a goat to graze on the seaweed and tin cans all the better!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-28-2016 at 08:48 AM

Hola Boonie You where here riding with me for a week. Just come back on Vacation and I will show you surfing places.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-28-2016 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

There's a whole generation of millennials that have become a culture of DIY experts because of the internet, Google and Youtube.

Their BS filters work differently (better?) than the previous generations as well. They've had so much more to filter through at early ages.

Thus, I'm uncertain if either of your comments should really be made into much of an issue.

Just my $.02.

:)

...btw - for the O/P - based upon ALL of your criteria, I suspect you'll appreciate the Todos Santos area most... unless you want/need/choose and/or then decide to be closer to the USA border, in which case, I suspect you'll then appreciate the Ensenada area the most. Another $.02. :biggrin:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-28-2016 at 11:03 AM
booniebasher

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 10:27 AM

how about this idea, I drive a full size motorhome with enclosed trailer and store in todos area ? ( is there such a place )
then I start takeing vacations there, by flying in !!!
And I move rv if we want to , in otherwards rv is a way of moveing aroundf looking for longer term residence ????

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 02:47 PM

Sounds like one way to do it!:)

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by booniebasher  
how about this idea, I drive a full size motorhome with enclosed trailer and store in todos area ? ( is there such a place )
then I start takeing vacations there, by flying in !!!
And I move rv if we want to , in otherwards rv is a way of moveing aroundf looking for longer term residence ????

So BCS is a good idea - we have a house on the East Cape and love it - but flying into and out of the area is limited. You have Cabo's airport and La Paz. So depending on where you are coming from Cabo is easy for tourist flights and La Paz is easy for domestic flights. If you park at Todos Santos you then have to spend time and money getting to an airport.

Maybe park in La Paz - Maranatha RV park can either store or hook you up with storage and they are pretty close to the airport. Easy from there to all BCS locations. Flights from TJ to La Paz on Volaris are a bargain.

There are vehicle storage places around the Cabo airport but for a big rig I'd imagine it's pretty expensive.

You have other issues with one being you are not supposed to leave anything in country when you leave on a tourist FMM but that opens more cans o' worms that can be dealt with later.

Andy
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 06:48 PM

I would never live in Todos Santos. Locals not friendly. Get off internet and come explore. You have not answered my question... ever been in Baja, Speak Spanish, et al??
booniebasher

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 07:51 PM

Yes I have friends that live in baja Malibu, san vicente , speak Spanglish with a translator
Have pre ran the 1000
co drove the 250
surfed all the pacific in the 80,s
that's about it
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.