Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: A hole in the ground that you through money into
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 09:41 AM

How much sewage does one or two people generate in a day? Not much is my guess. Run all of you sinks and shower drains to water your plants, not into the pit. If it's yellow let it mellow and flush once a or twice a day. If it's brown flush it down. A few gallons of waste a day is negligible. How far above sea level is your toilet seat?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 10:39 AM

Actually a healthy septic system thrives on waste. It's food to amoeba.
Occasionally I'll flush a kilo of the cheaper ground beef, along with a cup of brewers yeast into the tank. Kind of a reward for the little critters for doing a good job.
I also stick the tank to be aware of sludge build-up on the floor. That is the best indicator of a healthy or problem system. So far, nothing.
Septic systems need to be maintained , and they'll let you know when you don't do that.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 11:16 AM

There is a business here in Ensenada that sells poly 2 chamber septic tanks. North on Reforma just past Smart and Final on the East side of the road. You can also order one at Home Depot. These are leach line septic tanks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 11:31 AM

That surprises me. I'm curious as to the construction and size. Ensenada, as well as every other place I know of here, is more into cesspool design due to the lack of space required for a leach field.
Add to that, the widespread ignorance and concern of the concept.

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 11:44 AM

rotoplas tanques pdf They are called biodigestors. At the time I purchased mine you had to drill the leach line pipes yourself but the tanks were basically plug and play. I think Home Depot said 3 weeks to order one but the place on Reforma had it in stock.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 11:45 AM

http://www.bioinge.com/ing/index_eng.html

Hello boys
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 11:57 AM

Rotoplas Biodigestor
=============

I think one would be better off with a porta-potti
==========================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8rRk-cnUI

http://www.sodimac.com.pe/sodimac-pe/product/1298968/Biodige...
========================

https://translate.google.com.mx/translate?sl=es&tl=en&am...

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 01:40 PM

don't build a cement block septic tank...
for new construction they are illegal

get the plastic two/three chamber and add a leach line
on top of gravel
cover the leach line with paper and fill with dirt

if you use a backhoe the job will be completed in a few hours

do not put it under the driveway...one day it could need replacing and cement drives are expensive

flush your toilet every use...

plants LOVE the nitrates in the "cleaned water"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

get the plastic two/three chamber and add a leach line
on top of gravel
cover the leach line with paper and fill with dirt

if you use a backhoe the job will be completed in a few hours

do not put it under the driveway...one day it could need replacing and cement drives are expensive

flush your toilet every use...

plants LOVE the nitrates in the "cleaned water"

Yes..Yes....Yes....and let me add......do your homework on setting a leach line. Level...not almost level...is the operative word. Don't listen to anything different.
Home Depot USA sells a sock that fits over a 4" line [standard for this purpose] to keep fine dirt from accumulating inside the pipe. That's the function of the paper Bob mentioned. Both would be even better, but.......
You probably won't be able to find leach line in Baja. so it's easy enough to drill your own. Just do it correctly.
Every mistake in septic tank construction will be paid for down the road.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

In Mexico? How's that? Rural building code?

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 07:28 AM

I think the issue is that due to local restrictions leach lines are not allowed. That might be overkill, as a properly constructed and maintained anaerobic septic system (perc tested, properly sized leach lines, etc.) is a proven low maintenance system that here NOB is permitted to be within 50 feet of a drinking water well.

In some cases, however, if the soil is impermeable, or the lot is too small, there are approved aerobic tanks where the stuff that comes out the end is clean enough for irrigation use. Of course that would involve maintenance, pumps and electricity, what could go wrong? You could probably find plans for approved aerobic systems from your local health department. PS hire a backhoe.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 08:25 AM

There are hundreds of beachcamps along the coasts of Baja. I would guess not even one has a proper system. Cesspools by the sea. Actually, cesspools IN the sea.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I think the issue is that due to local restrictions leach lines are not allowed.

I believe the concept of leach fields is all but unknown to the area.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 10:45 AM

Dennis, the OP asked about an aerobic system and several comments down said leech (sic) lines were not approved in his camp. I was just responding to the post. Sounds like they want people who build there to have their own little mini treatment systems to cleanse their effluent to sparkling clarity, like dew drops on blades of green grass. As you said not exactly the norm for Baja. As an aside, several of my health inspector friends had vacation homes at Rcho Bufadora back in the day and not one of them had a septic system that would meet NOB standards. Oddly enough, the little concrete block tanks seemed to work just fine, even though there were no inspections or permit fees involved.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Dennis, the OP asked about an aerobic system and several comments down said leech (sic) lines were not approved in his camp. I was just responding to the post.

As an aside, several of my health inspector friends had vacation homes at Rcho Bufadora back in the day and not one of them had a septic system that would meet NOB standards. Oddly enough, the little concrete block tanks seemed to work just fine, even though there were no inspections or permit fees involved.

Yeah...I was just doing the same...or something like that

Anyway, I had a place in Toscano's[Rancho La Bufadora] back in the 60s and just as today, the entire development is on individual cesspools. There's not a septic system in the place.
As we all know, cagada drains to the lowest point, and that's the ocean.
It's probably against Dept. of Tourism laws to test the water in Ensenada's best known tourist attraction where busloads of visitors stand above the turbulent geyser and marvel at the spray blowing in their faces.

By the way...those little concrete tanks, cesspools, are no more than a box with drain holes in the side.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:50 AM

Stay with a passive system if allowed. Chlorine or sewage electrical pumps will be a headache over time. A passive greywater system for your landscape would help to minimize the size of your system/tank. A 300 gallon septic tank should be sufficient if you have a greywater system.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 12:14 PM

Agreed. Don't run your shower or washing machine drain into the sewer tank. Kitchen sink...yes. Don't want greasy flowers.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 07:00 PM

The septic system I installed at my place on the mainland north of PV:

A "fosa"- pre-digester tank, looks like a tinako except has 4" inlet and outlet and a filter basket full of bits of plastic pipe (came like that from the store). The solids break down in this and the water flows into a leach field 1 and half meters cubed built from cement blocks. I live alone with the occasional visitor and one Christmas had my whole family, 11 people, for 10 days. The system has never needed any maintenance (nor do I add meat or anything else), never needed pumping out in the 10 years since it was installed.

Septic systems work best the less water you put into them. All my grey water- 2 bathroom sinks, 2 showers, a washing machine, and the kitchen sink have their drain pipes extended into whatever part of the garden is closest to them. For this I just add more 2" pipe to the existing 2" drain pipe, drilling 3/8 inch holes on the underside (obviously this has to be done before gluing the extension pipes on) wherever I have plants that need water. I put a cap on the end, but don't glue it on, just keep it in place with a rock. This way if the holes get plugged up or the pipe gets too cruddy inside, I just remove the cap, stick my water hose up inside the pipe as far as it will go, and pull it back out slowly, which flushes it all out. All of this pipe lays above ground, not buried. I painted it so you can barely see it.

And no elbow connections, which can get plugged and are hard to get a plumbing snake or hose thru- two 45s instead.

So I don't overload the septic system, pee and nose blowing paper goes in the basket and I don't flush after yellow. If brown, it all gets flushed, including the paper.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 07:31 PM

certainly not a solution.....but it sure would help if all you tourists would load up on imodium when crossing south and deposit your beloved taco's when you get home, where they could be properly processed! ;)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 07:39 PM

The Pacifico Diet........:lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.