Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ham Radio license
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2020 at 07:28 AM

Jack, check your u2u inbox.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-13-2020 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  

You cannot beat having a ham license for enhanced communications and you can seek out volunteer examiners (VE's) in your area to assist you in getting your license. In the old days you had to travel to a large city and take an exam before men in suits with the FCC. Now it is simpler with friendly fellow hams.

We have a friend who does education and licensing - camping with him next weekend now that I think of it - our main question was, do we need a Mexican license, and if yes, where/how do we obtain it? Thanks everyone for the info, I really appreciate it.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2020 at 12:01 PM

Here's a write up on the current situation. Used to be a trip to SCT with your license, pay $80 USD, you had your permit good for duration of your visa. My call N1IY became XE1N1IY. Apparently not so any more as the license is considered a "concession" and cannot be given to foreigners.

https://www.qsl.net/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 12:03 PM

Back in 95 I did radio relay for SCORE at San Ignacio. They provided a fancy document signed by the governor of Baja Norte granting me ham radio privileges as XE2K7BVT. Operated HF & VHF, what a blast! Thought it was odd that a local government could issue radio privileges that are normally the domain of national governments which belong to organizations that provide regulations to minimize interference between radio users. Later I bought a Mexican amateur radio permit at the IFETEL(?) office in Ensenada, near the police offices. The gentleman there was not enthusiastic about selling me permit, kept saying "not necessary", in part probably due to dealing with a dumb gringo that can't speak Spanish. He finally relented and took my US$60 and issued permit. Using HF I was able to contact my late father in Seattle daily from spots like El Crucero and El Arco. Today there is cell coverage in much of Baja and Sat Phone can be used in places without it. If those systems ever crash there are still a few of us hams that can provide communications. I do wish Mexico would relent on ham radio license for foreigners. I think they would make more money and the exposure to this ancient technology my rub off on some of their youth and inspire them to study science. I realize Mexico has bigger problems. Baja! -73- Chuck K7BVT
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.