BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Are the US/Mexico borders open to US citizens driving into Mexico?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 05:08 PM

Flash: another warning to Skully... There is no shortage of opinions here! LOL

Yes, as noted many times... RENT before you BUY... Learn how things work, what to expect, how hot and humid it gets, who to see for various services.

La Paz really empties June-October. The nearby Pacific coast is wonderful. If you seek solitude, go see Playas Pacificas for private lots to build a home on. www.playaspacificas.com (owned by a pair of Nomads).

Need more services closer around but still have a small town feel... Bahía Asunción fits the bill to many Nomads. See Shari for all the scoop... www.bahiaasuncion.com

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skully
Junior Nomad

Mood: Bloody Mary

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 05:16 PM

Thanks BajaRunner,

I've been visiting Mexico since I was six years old, and have owned a place in Mazatlan for the last ten, which took two years to close with no fault of mine.
Mazatlan is a wonderful place. From all of the people that I've talked to, La Paz is too, just a lot quieter, which is what we are looking for.

Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info David K.... I'll check it out!

And I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And like I said in my intro, I'd rather be told a painful truth than a not-so-painful lie. That goes for opinions too.
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 05:53 PM

And right now is a pretty good time to purchase a house because there are so many on the market.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 07:29 PM

Hola Skully...and welcome to the sandbox....oh by the way throwing sand is common practice here as is pounding sand....hahaha!

Opinions and advice are diverse and varied. I have been in Baja for 30 years and absolutely love it. La Paz is nice if you like a city.
Like many say....rent first...it's HOT!

Tourists are welcome in many places in Baja Sur and not so much in other places. Each area has it's own enforcement of regulations.

Here in our village, almost all beaches are open, hotels & restaurants at with restrictions as well as fishing and charter boats and private boats can go out with the normal precautions.

I agree that right now is a great time to look for deals as it seems there is a turnover of properties in these difficult times.
I wish you luck in finding your next home sweet home!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2020 at 07:49 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome Shari !

I got the idea that this forum was more my style instead of the PC forums that get posts deleted when an unplesentry is stated, even if it is true.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 06:33 AM

we live 50 miles from la paz. there is a ton of covid here. the health care system is overwhelmed. please stay home.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 07:29 AM

Mexico and USA both have said that the land border is closed, and only essential travel allowed between now and sept 21.

The USA enforces this, Mexicans are turned away if non-essential travel.

Mexico is not enforcing too much, and so inconsiderate, self-absorbed, selfish gringos are doing non-essential trips into Mexico.

Do your civic duty, help stop the pandemic, don’t be a selfish a$$hat.

What is essential travel? According to the USA state dept This is:

Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.

Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).

Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.

Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).

Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).

Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).

Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.

Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 07:43 AM

Times of uncertainty always present buying opportunities, but do rent first and get to know the area and local reputations. There are quite a few horror stories out there and many of them are true. Best to be careful. Kind of a risk:reward thing.

Life is good...
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 10:25 AM

So far I am very pleased at how this thread is turning out.
Thanks you Nomads!

Anyone else care to share some facts or opinions? Please do.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 10:55 AM

Hey Skully
So glad we could help (Well, most of us like to help)
As to the "Goat advice"
You can pretty much put that one on ignore

You were not around of late, but in the last month the Goat/Person posted from his/her travels in Arizona, Northern Calfiornia (where apparently he/she got in a tiff with a cafe owner) and the Pacific Northwest. When challenged he/she made mutterances about being wise and safe and all that la di da.

Stick around, amidst the crud there is good stuff

And yeah a trip over to Abreojos, La Bocana and Asuncion would be in order. We spent a week camping on the shore at Asuncion a couple years ago, thanks to arrangements by Shari. Good people!!
Baja Blanca can line you out well over in Bocana, and Abreojos is interesting if you like bustling fishing towns.

Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 11:08 AM

That all sounds good to me!
Except the dirt camping part. Two star is my idea of dirt camping. :tumble:

As for the Goat... he didn't actually insult me, he just suggested that I refrain from doing what would be, in his opinion, unwise. Just stated a little more aggressively.
No offense taken.

At this point, I am still gathering as much info, from as many sources, as I can. And I couldn't be happier.
That includes U2U messages from several Nomads as well.
Thanks Nomads!:cool:

[Edited on 8-15-2020 by Skully]
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 11:39 AM

Hey Goat...

I have a question for you.. because I don't know the answer.

Why are the airlines advertising for American tourists to hop on an airplane with two hundred other people that they haven't met, and fly for five or more hours to a destination of their choosing in Mexico, and that is perfectly fine and legal. However, if those same people want to "engage in social distancing" (as the government keeps insisting that we do) and drive across the border with just two people in the car to that same destination of their own choosing in Mexico, and that is not okay?
Why is that?

People have been getting sick on airplanes for decades and this is now supposed to be a better solution than driving? I think not!

Could it be that the airlines have something to do with the current mandate of only use air travel to get to your foreign destination, instead of taking your own vehicle and avoiding airports and airplanes? <- Warning! "Conspiracy Theory"!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-15-2020 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skully  

Hey Goat...

I have a question for you.. because I don't know the answer.

Why are the airlines advertising for American tourists to hop on an airplane with two hundred other people that they haven't met, and fly for five or more hours to a destination of their choosing in Mexico, and that is perfectly fine and legal. However, if those same people want to "engage in social distancing" (as the government keeps insisting that we do) and drive across the border with just two people in the car to that same destination of their own choosing in Mexico, and that is not okay?
Why is that?

People have been getting sick on airplanes for decades and this is now supposed to be a better solution than driving? I think not!

Could it be that the airlines have something to do with the current mandate of only use air travel to get to your foreign destination, instead of taking your own vehicle and avoiding airports and airplanes? <- Warning! "Conspiracy Theory"!

I only know these truisms:
1. Lobbyists (e.g. for airlines) and big donors often get what they want
2. The trump administration is a ship of fools that have totally flocked up everything about the federal covid-19 response in USA, including airlines.
3. I won’t get on an airplane right now, I have little trust in Americans to do the right thing. I know that there are sick people getting on airplanes because they are selfish and just don’t give a chit about strangers. I prefer to not be around such a$$hats for extended duration of a flight.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 09:22 AM

At the top of his ad, it says:
"Entire guesthouse hosted by Harald
2 guests · 1 bedroom · 1 bed · 1 bath"

So I would think that a couple would be allowed.
It looks clean and it looks quite nice too. Those are a big points in my book.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skully  

So I would think that a couple would be allowed.
It looks clean and it looks quite nice too. Those are a big points in my book.

I am sure that Harald is trying to avoid a "single" person looking for a party house rental.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2020 at 08:28 PM

I crossed Thursday going north at Otay. The Sentri lane took maybe 4 minutes all in. My friend who walked across with a ready card took 70 minutes to cross.
South was 30 seconds to cross into Baja last Tuesday.
No issues.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2020 at 05:45 AM

Howdy, if you are looking for information regarding Covid 19 and being allowed into Baja, a couple of good Facebook pages are "TalkBaja" and TalkBaja Road Conditions." There are many posts regarding being checked for essential vs non essential travel. Overall, its Mexico and the "rules" change on a whim every day so whether or not you would be turned back is really the luck of the draw. Lately the chatter seems to favor being allowed to travel whatever the purpose. Since you already drive into Mex I assume you ave SENTRI/Global Entry? One thing to keep in mind, medical care is not the same in Baja as in the USA. Should you unfortunately become infected with coronavirus and have underlying health conditions that may lead to a serious illness, you will not have the same options for treatment as in the USA.
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2020 at 06:26 AM

Thanks Ricky for the update!
Good to know.
Skully
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2020 at 06:42 AM

BajaMama:

Yes, we are well aware of the potential medical issues that can arise.
Of the handful of occasions where we have had to seek medical treatment while not in the US, most of our experiences were very positive. Not all, but definitely most. And those that were exceptional were in Mexico.
We also carry year-round insurance that covers pretty much everything, up to, and including emergency air-ambulance back to the US, which we hope to never have to use.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.