Author: Subject: Reasonable way for cell data plan
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

We use it constantly at our home in Sonora and never come close to our data limit,

use either Telcel or Movistar towers. Never without coverage except well out at sea or in some enclosed canyon

Verizon has much better coverage in the areas of the Western US that we travel.

Very helpful, thanks.

On the U.S. coverage angle, I agree: A few years ago I was on a remote mountain pass in Colorado with my ATT phone showing one bar while a friend was happily chatting away on Verizon, no problem. We got back to town and I switched over, never to return.

Verizon vs AT&T....lets get real, Verizon has Joy AT&T has Lily......GOD I MISS T-MOBILE! :yes:

:lol:...oh yes the pink dresses!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 11:42 AM

We use it constantly at our home in Sonora and never come close to our data limit,

use either Telcel or Movistar towers. Never without coverage except well out at sea or in some enclosed canyon

Verizon has much better coverage in the areas of the Western US that we travel.

Very helpful, thanks.

On the U.S. coverage angle, I agree: A few years ago I was on a remote mountain pass in Colorado with my ATT phone showing one bar while a friend was happily chatting away on Verizon, no problem. We got back to town and I switched over, never to return.

I have switched between verizon and ATT over the years. Just last month switched back to ATT. the coverages are pretty much the same these days, verizon might have a little bigger area, but it is not significant difference anymore -- and when traveling, the extra coverage is usually unimportant. 99% of the areas i travel have essentially similar/same service.
of more importance is the signal strength at your house and frequently-visited locations where you want/need a phone.
a bit of extra coverage in a few remote locations I rarely visit is unimportant.
ATT is a bit cheaper than verizon.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 12:02 PM

The thing about the claim that ATT has 90+ percent of the coverage of Verizon is that that extra 10- percent is in remote area where you'd be phuqued without service, in case of a breakdown or emergency.

If you're really just looking to save money, Goat, you should probably check out T-mobile since the merger with Sprint and all their new 5G upgrades. I suspect their coverage is right there with the Big Two.

Verizon is forced on us a bit as Verizon generally has the C.O.W (celltower on wheels) contracts with the Federal government to supply COWs for wildland firefighter command posts. My wife has a seasonal job supporting wildland firefighters. I can generally communicate with her, no matter how remote the command post. Alaska is the exception; they seem to contract with ATT for COWs.

But even before she had this job, in our travels in the mountains of the Western US, ATT couldn't hold a candle to Verizon's coverage in the back country. Maybe that's changed. ATT was always so much more city/town oriented.

I do know that Verizon and T-mobile's coverage in Mexico has improved dramatically in the last five years. Neither was using Telcel towers back then; now they both do. ATT bought a smaller Mexican cell tower company a couple years back, gave up their arrangement with Telcel (at least in our area) and their coverage is not as good as before.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 12:35 PM

For quite a few years, I have used an ATT pre-paid phone for my Baja trips. It roams on the Telcel system on most of the peninsula at 35 cents/min, but in the La Paz area it now connects to ATT/MX AT 25 cents/min.

The ATT tower works great for calls to and from the US, but connections to local numbers was not as good as when it is on Telcel.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 01:11 PM

AT&T works at my house in LA, Verizon does not.

AT&T coverage has crushed Verizon in MX for many years. Have had free unlimited data in MX for 5 years at least.

AT&T has been much better for international travel for 20 years because they chose the same technology as 90% of the rest of the world, unlike Verizon and Sprint.

AT&T >>>>> Verizon.

[Edited on 6-9-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 01:27 PM

The thing about the claim that ATT has 90+ percent of the coverage of Verizon is that that extra 10- percent is in remote area where you'd be phuqued without service, in case of a breakdown or emergency.

Exactly. I've recently started using an Inreach, which might just resolve that remote area cover-my-arse concern enough to consider switching away from Verizon, but at this point I think it would be to T-Mobile; their merging with Sprint and intense 5-G roll-out is making them a lot more interesting.

Plus, I believe they've historically been ahead of the other big players in terms of Mexico roaming.

AT&T and T-mobile have always used the same technology. Which is online with 95% of the rest of service providers.

So international roaming with T-mobile and AT&T has always been better than Verizon.

Verizon didn't get on board with the same technology until LTE 4G.

[Edited on 6-9-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.