Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:09 PM

I just received a call from Chava at the delegacion at Cataviņa. Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help.

I was on the road heading south to San Quintin this afternoon when I got the call and wll be taking off in the early AM tomorrow with another good friend, Meņo Casteneda who will accompany me to see what we can do for Mike.

Will report back once I return tomorrow night...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaGringo]

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:10 PM

bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

sbwontoo
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I just received a call from Chava at the delegacion at Cataviņa. Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help.

I was on the road heading south to San Quintin this afternoon when I got the call and wll be taking off in the early AM tomorrow with another good friend, Meņo Casteneda who will accompany me to see what we can do for Mike.

Will report back once I return tomorrow night...

Sure glad they went back out to check on him----good luck and stay safe.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:33 PM

Something is fishy here-------the electronics (SPOT) don't lie, do they?? Could the boys at Catavina have it wrong??

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Something is fishy here-------the electronics (SPOT) don't lie, do they?? Could the boys at Catavina have it wrong??

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry

Yah... I know Ron is only relating what Chava told him:

"Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help."

If he didn't 'hike out'... does that mean a panga from Santa Catarina picked up him and Don-Kay ??? I don't see that as being easy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry

I was wrong on the date. I should have said his position on the 20th, not the 19th. What Chava told me on the call today was that Mike couldnīt advance any further from that point on his own and they brought him down to Puerto Catarina fish camp last night, from where he reported his Nov 21st position

How they got him there I am not sure but I will get to hear the story in the morning and will share it all with you when I get back online sometime tomorrow night.

It sounded like Chava was calling from a sat phone as there was a bad echo I was on the highway on my cell phone so we werenīt able to talk much.

I wish I had thought to ask him how they moved Don'Kay but weīll all just have to wait until tomorrrow to find out that part of the story...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:40 PM

Thanks Ron!

I will post the SPOT location for tonight as soon as I see it!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

Just another BajaNomad. Youīd do the very same thing if the situation presented itself, wouldnīt you!???

solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:55 PM

That poor Burro has been some difficulty.
Tell us if you need any more assistance from this side
neil
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:44 PM

My friend Meņo knows some of the folks down at the fish camp and we are getting things under control. Thanks and will post more tomorrow...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:10 PM

This explains a lot of things. I just couldn't see him making so much progress in that terrain so fast.

And the more I thought about the low tide idea the less plausible it sounded. What if Don Kay got stubborn out there on the beach with the cliffs to your back. Who would take a chance like that?

Well I, for one, never measured Mike's success by whether he reached Catarina. The fact that he reached for the unreachable and tried to do the undoable is all that matters. He is a hero in my book. Those who call it a 'stunt' just don't get it and will never understand. His attempt on this lonely stretch of coastline captures the spirit of all those early nomads who were attracted to baja. And we 'understand' Mike.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:11 PM

Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7, still no spot signal from Mike as of 7:10 pm...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:17 PM

Mike is tough and I really admire his spirit. Right now I think he is just a bit "roughed up" after being pinned between the sea and the cliffs on the rocky route from San Carlos to Catarina with Don-Kay in tow. A trek that took a lot longer than he planned or prepared for.

With a little rest and "freshening up" he should be ready to continue on...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:20 PM

I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Well I, for one, never measured Mike's success by whether he reached Catarina. The fact that he reached for the unreachable and tried to do the undoable is all that matters. He is a hero in my book. Those who call it a 'stunt' just don't get it and will never understand. His attempt on this lonely stretch of coastline captures the spirit of all those early nomads who were attracted to baja. And we 'understand' Mike.

quote]Originally posted by solosancarlos
That poor Burro has been some difficulty.
neil

I feel for the animals ( burro / dog ) Another selfish human endeavor where animals suffer ..
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:23 PM

Must be soooooooooooo hard and I think SkipJack hit it on the nail when he said that Mike is reaching for the unreachable. gotta hand it to him.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7

Go Broncos!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

WOW....Shortcuts are for those who are impatient or late for work. Mike has to take his time. Maybe, being newly retired, he doesn't understand that.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM

That's a good one Dennis... it does take a while to get it through ones head...

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM

Quote:

What are the road options between the San Carlos fish camp and Catarina?
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.