nothing against us Gringos. I gave up long ago
trying to express that to my friends who are not
familiar with Mexicans in Mexico
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 02:17 PM

Nomads,
Do you remember when ChrisX complained about traffic on the highway and how it was dangerous for him as a cyclist?

Everybody was down on him for being so stupid as to ride a bicycle on the highway....

These folks are no different in regards to the risk they present themselves and others.

And to boot, it appears that they are not walking on the "left" side of the road so they can see oncoming traffic :?:

I applaud their desire to have an adventure and the physical effort they are putting out...but struggle with their poor planning and preparation and some very basic practical issues.

Just sayin'

Don't believe everything you think....
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 03:25 PM

Your right the hwy just plain sucks to walk on. The shoulder is just about as bad and in the places where there is no shoulder makes life a real bummer. Honestly you need a burro. Believe me they are a blessing and can do it all. Start asking around and you might get lucky. Its a whole new adventure, one you will love. Everybody slows down to see the burro.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 04:24 PM

Re: the Road(s) to San Juanico

1. The high road is over grown and washed out in many places filled with rocks and will make it difficult to navigate through the Mesa. it can reach 100+ degrees inland on this route. Very little traffic except some off road Moto guys and a couple ranchers.

2. The washboard "regular" road turns into a Sand Hwy for 30+ miles on the way to El Datil. Would be tough to pull your wagon thru the sand no matter how big your knobs are...so so on the traffic of people going to South to San Juanico.

3. The most common route for locals is the Tidal Flats, hard packed and easy for your wagon to roll, easy to follow the black tire tracks as it makes it's way thru the tidal flats. This route would offer some kind of support from locals and tourists and it would be much cooler as it runs parallel to the beach...and it would be better camping over the days you would be traveling in that area..and I'm going this way and I'll see you on Monday the 18th somewhere along the way! :biggrin:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 07:49 PM

Good advice DBull
Those sandy roads above the dunes are a bear to drive, we actually hung up the rear end gear on the pickup on the sandy middle of the two ruts. Tough to keep going when you are dragging through that crud.

The only down side of the "beach route" is the possibility of getting caught by tides and stuck in soft wet stuff. Those can sneak up on you quickly when you are driving fast in a vehicle, but on foot, pulling a little wagon should never be a problem.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 07:39 AM

Desertbull,

I googled the route a couple of days ago and it looked as though tidal flats were not available all the way to Scorpion Bay. It looked like a section of the journey from a river that enters the pacific about 5 miles north of Scorpion Bay to the Bay itself only has inland roads which look quite sandy. I don't see salt flats there nor any roads leading to the coast.

Are they going to have a difficult time in this area?

Perhaps someone at San Juanico can drive them through this short section.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 08:48 AM

The Tidal flat zone ends about 4 miles south of El Datil and then you traverse the dunes for less than a mile and pass by a healthy ranch and onto San Juanico on the remaining washboard.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 01:54 PM

Just a quick update to let you know you found a nice home for the puppy, so she will not be joining us on the rest of the walk!
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:05 PM

It sounds as if the tide flats will be the best choice. We expect to stay a day or two at the Baja Expedition camp, and will be using the time to investigate the route further by asking anyone and everyone coming or going. We truly appreciate the insight you all are providing - thank you immensely. DesertBull, we look forward to meeting you in route, you should be able to find us okay, we'll be the ones pulling the cart :lol:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:19 PM

I would definitely do the salt flats. Hard pack, wide open and all roads pretty much lead to the same place - Datil. If you have any stickers, the local kids will be very excited.

Here's what your in store for:

bajasuzie
Junior Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 07:13 PM

Way to go John and Rachel! We are waiting for you down here in San Jose!
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasuzie
Way to go John and Rachel! We are waiting for you down here in San Jose!

Cool Suzie:yes::yes:
And cool you found a home for the pup too mexicoliving! They say good things happen to good people, I'm counting on that for you! Safe travels, your doing it!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:27 PM

You guys are an inspiration.

And what a lucky puppy. Good job.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 12:35 AM

Looking forward to their next leg: Vizcaino to San Ignacio!

SPOT TRACKER LINK

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 07:50 AM

Lucky puppy!

Glad she found a new home and to be eating real food.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 07:07 PM

We are leaving in the morning. We had to wait until today to take care of some banking stuff, since this will be the last bank in a long time. We are ready to start walking.

I have gone from a size 44 waist to a size 38 waist, I know because I just bought some new shorts today at the segunda. But with all the Al Pastor tacos and Pacifico in the last few days I may have put it back on, so it'll be good to get back to freeze dried food and pedialit.

Also, I want everyone to know the people that own Kadekaman Hotel and RV park are really very cool. We have friends that have know them 15 years, it was our first time talking to them personally. Today we sat and chatted with Maria, the mother for a very long time and although it was Spanglish all the way, it was fabulous and just adore them. We will be back.

See you all on the road tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Today we sat and chatted with Maria, the mother for a very long time and although it was Spanglish all the way, it was fabulous and just adore them. We will be back.

i agreed with the sentiment. some of the nicest people i have met i spent an unexpected day or 3 with and we basically understood every third word but knew exactly what the other was trying to say! have fun!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 06:37 PM
June 12

Well, they are back on the road after a few days rest in Vizcaino... Looks like they walked about 12 miles down Hwy. 1 today.

They appear to be near Rancho Los Angeles, maybe about 3 miles north of the junction to San Francisquito de la Sierra.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:40 AM

This morning (Wednesday), they are moving along quite well, already passed by the road to San Francisco de la Sierra... Blanca, they should make it to your 'driveway' (12 miles more) by this afternoon!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:51 AM

This is the section that looks to me to be a place where the cart will have problems.

The top left is El Datil. The bottom right with the airplane icon is Scorpion Bay. There are tide flat roads at El Datil but you need to zoom in to see them. As you can see there are no flats between El Datil and Scorpion Bay. The road leaves the flats at El Datil and follows that river/arroyo along it's nothern bank for a ways and crosses it. As you can see, it then proceeds inland to Scorpion Bay.

If you could zoom in you would see that the road between the crossing of the river and the crossing of the next river southward looks to be quite sandy. I can't make out the distance. Further on, the road to the airplane icon in mid page could be sandy as well. They may need assistance in this area.

bajawalk11.jpg - 41kB
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.