Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 09:04 AM

The road from El Datil south to San Juanico will be no more of an adventure than what they've already experienced. It's a graded washboard road about 1/2 mile past the old ranch on the edge of the wash. This road is traveled daily and this entire dirt section I'm guessing will be the highlight of their trip. No zooming trucks and cars. It will take them a week to get from San Ignacio to San Juanico as its 110-miles. Once they arrive to San Juanico they won't want to leave!

Guessing about road conditions from zooming in on Google Earth is like predicting when the next Tidal Wave will hit...:?:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 04:31 PM
June 13

Well, almost to Blanca's driveway... Looks like they stopped about 2 miles before reaching the Punta Abreojos Highway Junction:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 07:24 AM

I got word this morning that the Tidal Flats are wet. When I went through their 3 weeks ago they were flooded and they usually take about a month to dry out, but my friend drove through there at 6pm Wednesday (June 13 evening) and they were still wet so you might ask the locals as you get closer to making that turn south. See you soon. :biggrin:

[Edited on 6-14-2012 by Desertbull]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 10:58 AM

It looks like right now, 9:54am their time they are 10 miles from the San Ignacio turnoff. Today they have gone 7.3 miles so far. They can make there today if they push it. Go guys!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 11:49 AM

The high spring tides this month centered on a week around 6/3-6/4.

If they are like the flats around Laguna Bocana they only become inundated by the top of spring tides. In which case they should be drying for several weeks. We're having neap tides this week.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
It looks like right now, 9:54am their time they are 10 miles from the San Ignacio turnoff. Today they have gone 7.3 miles so far. They can make there today if they push it. Go guys!

Recently it was in the 90's in the afternoon in San Ignacio. I hope they make it there today if for no other reason than to be able to relax in the shade of the plaza.

With all of the problems they have faced, I think they are doing extremely well---- Best of luck to them!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 12:27 PM

Wish 'em luck! They must have changed their game plan. San Ignacio isn't on the coast. Maybe they should've said they were gonna follow the main roads(Hwy. 5 and then Hwy 1.)?:yes:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Wish 'em luck! They must have changed their game plan. San Ignacio isn't on the coast. Maybe they should've said they were gonna follow the main roads(Hwy. 5 and then Hwy 1.)?:yes:

They changed their route quite a while ago. From San Ignacio, they plan to head out to the west coast---so they will be on a coast, just a different coast.

Where ever they end up, I think they have accomplished a lot --- what a trip!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

They changed their route quite a while ago. From San Ignacio, they plan to head out to the west coast---so they will be on a coast, just a different coast.

Where ever they end up, I think they have accomplished a lot --- what a trip!

Right, they changed their announced route at Coco's Corner... since he is pulling a wagon and the Calamajue River and other non-graded roads are not user friendly to wagon wheels!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:05 PM
ARRIVED IN SAN IGNACIO!

Did about 17 miles today and were on the entrance road about 10 minutes ago...

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:09 PM

They made it to San Ignacio!! A long day for them, I'm sure they are really stoked right now!! It must feel really good getting off the highway, finally, and being in such a cool town for the night. Good for you John and Rachel! Enjoy your evening:biggrin:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:19 PM

Wow. San Ignacio. They're probably resting under the big trees now.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Wow. San Ignacio. They're probably resting under the big trees now.

It may be very difficult for them to leave that plaza! It is difficult to believe they are already there. Great walking!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:28 PM

John and Rachel are doing this this is to raise money and awareness for charities in Baja that they feel are amazing charities that need support to continue. Here's a link to the charity page tio see which ones they are.
http://bajagoodlife.com/baja-100-day-challenge/baja-charity-...
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:04 PM

Looks like they have nice digs tonight, The Desert Inn!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 03:32 PM

The best nachos in all of Baja Sur!

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress The Desert Inn!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 08:08 PM

Hola all,

Made it to San Ignacio after a few hellish days, and as much as we wanted to stop, we couldn't seeing the palm tops of San Ignacio ahead of us. Just before we reached town, Manual from Halfway Inn (former Desert Inn) in G.N. stopped by to introduce himself; what a really nice guy. He gave us some white peaches from his ejido Beneito Juarez, and boy oh boy, they were good.

He also gave us the name of the two managers at the S.I. Desert Inn and suggested they might take care of us...well that was a no go. No such luck, apparently, Fonatur is not as generous has Roberto the new owner of Halfway Inn, but no worries we were planning to stay anyways. I gotta tell yah though, after spending the last month sleeping outdoors, it was difficult to stay here, since there are no windows that open and the only way to get air is the air-conditioner. Plus, in addition to having to always breath processed air, the constant hum of the thing gets old. But, I must say they keep it clean, the grounds are always beautiful and the staff are very kind.

We received a package from family on Baja Pack and completed a lot of work on the Baja Blues Fest today, so tomorrow we are heading out. Although we are both tired and sore, the new pain killers will help ;-) Looking forward to getting off the asphalt and getting to the Pacific.

The only difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude, and right now our feet hurt, but our attitudes are great.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 08:39 PM

Well you both have my respect! Hope to see you at the Baja Blues Fest!
Really I just shake my head thinking of your pain and determination . My sombrero is off to you! Best of luck!!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 09:02 PM

Keep kicking burro. Sounds like something you and your descendents will read about. Way to make a mark. Love it.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 09:32 PM

Greatest respect for what you've accomplished.
You guys are incredible. You know what this land is really like behind the Cactus Curtain.

You'll be sooooo happy you've chosen to head to the coast.

Congratulations on your efforts!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.