BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 07:06 AM

You guys are making alot of progress, but what worries me are the painkillers for the feet??? If the feet hurt that much, there might be some serious tissue damage, such as cellulitis, which could lead to osteomyelitis. Serious pain that necesitates painkillers is a major warning sign...sure, an anti-inflammatory such as Diclofenaco or Ibuprofeno can help, but what kind of medications are we talking about? We might have damaged ligaments and tendons here too, which will only get worse if not allowed to heal.
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:16 AM

Thank you. Not sure about the pain in terms of what it is, just occasional numbness in the toes, and sharp pain if I press a point in the top of my arch. Sometimes I will hit it while walking and it causes a big ouch!! But then if I walk on the outer edge of the foot for a short distance it goes away.

We are both just using Ibuprofen 800 mg and Arnicare, which is Arnica tablets, a homeopathic medicine a nurse friend sent us. Not too strong, but seems to help, certainly with the back pain.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:19 AM

a little hard-headedness helps with the pain also. be careful about walking on the outer part of you soles. you'll end up pulling muscles all the way up your back to your neck. maybe some hiking boots would help if you are just wearing tennis type shoes.

keep it up!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:19 AM

I don't think anyone would fault you if you ended your walk early. Walking from San Felipe to San Ignacio is quite a deal. Just don't cause yourselves any life long damage from doing this!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:23 AM

Also, we are using massage and stretching to help alleviate some it. We are going to start with some resistance training as well, by stopping a little earlier in the day and doing some basic isometric, calisthenics, body weight training. If we can keep our calorie intake up and can strengthen ourselves, it may also help. All cardio and no anaerobics has made us both a little weaker. Plus, it;s hard to get enough protein, and meat from a bag is never that appealing :no:
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:25 AM

Last minute update. We are staying one more day here in San Ignacio to get a bit more rest. We are leaving the Desert Inn and going to stay with Gary and Terry at San Igncaio Springs. All the prep has made for another late day, so staying with them will give us more rest, time to spend with them and we can get out of here bright and early in the manana.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:27 AM

their breakfast at the BnB will give you something to smile about!

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:37 AM

The walking shoes have saved us. We have been fortunately enough to have Edward McLarty, multiple world Ironman and owner of the Portland Running Company size and provide us with pairs of Brooks and New Balance walking shoes. Once they arrived the blisters stopped and the soreness was greatly reduced. It has not gone away completely and doubt it will, but the boots were killing us before, so it would be hard to go back to them.

As for quitting - not a chance. Rachel and I would rather crawl to Cabo to stay off our feet, then to quit. We have 100 days, and although we won't make our goal of 2000 miles, unless our feet grow wings, we are sure we can do the entire length of the peninsula in our allotted time frame. Our goal is to at least get to Cabo, then back up to Todos Santos before our time runs out.

And I must say, that in addition to the new shoes, it has been the support of the nomads, and other awesome Baja folk that is really making this possible. We are only walking, everyone else is providing the motivation and support. So, thanks. We are not giving up on anyone; ourselves, our charities, our family and old friends; or all of you new friends!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:59 AM

Way to go guys!

I don't know what advice to offer other than to not worry about timelines and schedules.

Walk at a comfortable pace.
Drink more fluids than you think you need.
Sleep long and well at night.
Enjoy yourselves.

And everthing will fall into place.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 11:06 AM

Best of luck... and I hope the mud flats are dry!

Just a thought, if you need assistance out there in 'no-man's land', and since the Spot signals your location every ten minutes, to alert those of us who are just seeing your track and not the SOS signal, walk out from your position a ways, every 10 minutes, to several points, to make a circle.

Read what Desert Bull has posted, as he is an off road race professional with many contacts and trips south of San Ignacio (Baja 1000 course this November).

Wishing you success!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 12:22 PM

I think you will be feeling much better walking on dirt, asphalt is murder on the feet and joints. Also taking a break for a few minutes when the feet start to hurt, rubbing and flexing them, then starting again, can help from pushing them to the point of misery. Good luck on this next leg of the adventure, have a great time! Do you have a pre-made message in case you need something but don't need the full on SOS? If not you may think about it. Somebody on this board might just be close by:)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 12:32 PM

mexicoliving, Keep on trucking! Protein? Increase your calorie intake? With all the walking, maybe you should be loading up on carbs.;) Are those shoes water-proof? I know that's a dumb question, being in the desert an all, but I'm not in the desert. Could use some tuff water-proof shoes tho.;)
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2012 at 09:51 AM

The Baja Walkers are on their way again! So far I think they have walked about 350 miles:bounce:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-17-2012 at 09:59 AM
Numbness in the toes

Wonder if you have diabetes or high blood pressure? Numbness in the toes could be a sign of diabetes. Also you mentioned that you had a 44 inch waist when you started, and have lost quite a bit of that, but have you checked your blood pressure? Especially with the hot climate, I would check it midday. I also suggest starting to walk about 4 am. to avoid the heat for some of the walk. I think a good physical exam would be in order on your way, especially since most of the Nomads are commenting that you are in for some heavy duty heat and terrain.
Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Thank you. Not sure about the pain in terms of what it is, just occasional numbness in the toes, and sharp pain if I press a point in the top of my arch. Sometimes I will hit it while walking and it causes a big ouch!! But then if I walk on the outer edge of the foot for a short distance it goes away.

We are both just using Ibuprofen 800 mg and Arnicare, which is Arnica tablets, a homeopathic medicine a nurse friend sent us. Not too strong, but seems to help, certainly with the back pain.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2012 at 10:03 AM

SPOT TRACKER LINK

Well south of San Ignacio already!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Wonder if you have diabetes or high blood pressure? Numbness in the toes could be a sign of diabetes. ... I think a good physical exam would be in order on your way,...
Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving

"doctora:"
it seems a bit much for you to jump to the conclusion they may have diabetes and need to look for a check up along the way to cabo. perhaps you can pop on down and make a house call at their camp! i suspect that their walking is improving their health, and their foot problems are just readjustments of the body due to previously leading a more sedentary life.

disclaimer: i am not a licensed MD but i play one in nomadlandia!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 06:48 AM

c'mon goathead, the proper slogan is as follows, "i'm not an MD, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night!"

you know better....:light:

[Edited on 6-18-2012 by woody with a view]

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 07:00 AM

Hola, DK!

I like the "GOOGLE EARTH-TYPE" spot link that you used before.
The terrain was much more visible.

Thanks!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 08:19 AM

Hi Udo,
Just click on hybrid on the top right of the map and it will give you the terrain. Looks like they got an early start this morning after camping last night near a bunch of buildings. Is that a ranch or what? I've never been out there before. .
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hola, DK!

Thanks!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Hola, DK!

Thanks!

That is the same link, but when I show the map, I usually click on the hybrid one (satellite + roadmap). I had a busy Father's Day yesterday, so didn't get around to posting a map yesterday. Right now they are at a fork in the road where the mountain ranches are on the left branch and Laguna San Ignacio is on the right.

Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.