Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Wow I'm so impressed that people on the board can tell so much from a picture! I guess in our 20+ years owning and running a equestrian centre all we needed to do was fax/e-mail the vet a picture and he could have told all!

Your information and links about donkeys have been really valuable, and I accept that perhaps you know more than most about these type animals. I with just a little knowledge from my old pack station friends, gasped when I first saw that donkey----and those monster packs.

But you really filled in the gaps about the age of the donkey, the food and water requirements, how an overloaded young donkey can suffer permanent damage. Thanks

I believe that when a person decides to enter upon such an adventure, it is their choice and they are willing to accept the risks.

But when they drag an animal, like a donkey along, they are, or should be totally responsible for the welfare of said donkey. The donkey had no choice in the matter.

I agree with one person who passed on to me the thought that abuse to an animal out of ignorance is just as bad as intentional abuse. And I just cannot see how the abuse of some dogs in Baja justifies the abuse of another animal.

It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on. A happy looking donkey in one picture and the idea of just making a wrong turn just ignore some what some others have said---lack of real knowledge about burros, and lack of appropriate planning for the situation.

In the past, we loved backpacking into the wilderness---always a great adventure. In my mind, especially with his chosen course, it would be very different if he had gone it alone.

[Edited on 11-26-2010 by DianaT]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 10:15 AM

150 lbs. was always the limit on pack animals in the Sierra Nevada, when we utilized them (frequently). These were a combination of donkeys, burros and pack horses.

But, of course, they didnt need to carry their own water. There were streams aplenty.

If that animal dies or is injured permanently, PETA is gonna have a new poster boy.

Anyway, after he reads all this, he'll realize (as so many of us have) that the publicity of the Nomads board can be a two-edged sword.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on.

Brings this to mind:

http://0.tqn.com/d/gocalifornia/1/0/j/r/500xmjdonkeyc05.jpg
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

Picture of me from 1983 where Mike will soon be.

Graham, great black and white photo! Wow.... hey, how did you get that gash in your knee?

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by BajaNomad]
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 01:18 PM

Bob, Gash in knee was probably one in a hundred. Not sure about that one but most likely from collisions with agaves or pitahayas, or taking a fall on wet rocks under the cliffs.

I got really good at walking the slippery rocks along the shore, but every few days I'd crash down and the blood would flow. That never bothered me as much as rupturing my bleach bottles and losing water.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 01:31 PM

Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. Here's a little movie I made at Punta Baja, just before the burro was getting into that long hard stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgy4lgkTsrI

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 01:40 PM
Billy club?

Quote:
Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. Here's a little movie I made at Punta Baja, just before the burro was getting into that long hard stretch.

Well, I for one feel reassured if Mike and crew run into any unsavory characters in remote areas, Don-Kay has a serious truncheon onboard for defense. :O

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2010 at 08:36 PM
Nov. 25, 2010

Mike and company had the most progress of their trip covering 16 miles from their previous SPOT location.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 11:00 AM

Wow, that's a MAJOR march-----like almost 16 miles!?!?!?! That trio is in GOOD shape, I am thinking.

Barry
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow, that's a MAJOR march-----like almost 16 miles!?!?!?! That trio is in GOOD shape, I am thinking.

Barry

He lightened the load quite a bit more and Don-Kay had several days to rest which should really help. Hopefully the team will be making sure they have enough water and rest along the way to make it all the way to Los Cabos.

I am pulling for them...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I have to tell you that with all the 'Monday morning quarterbacking' about Mike and Don-Kay from some Nomads I was hesitant to continue with the daily location posts...

If everyone interested in the burro had taken the time to read the pre-trip articles and video clip, they would know that Mike loves the burro and all his animals... It was hard for him to hand his two personal pets over to Graham to take back north... but he knew it was for their own good.

Anyway, everyone was well rested and the load lightened... The fact that they covered so many miles the first day after the Puerto Catarina rest was very good news, and so I wanted you all to see what they did.

Sure, I was a bit miffed that Mike isn't telling us Nomads how he got Don-Kay around the cliffs to Puerto Catarina... after the help all the involved Nomads provided. But, since Ed at the newspaper is getting his information from here, I guess I see why. The story and photos of that event (if any) should be great to see once the book is published.

So, let's just enjoy following Mike's SPOT locations as he moves south and look forward to reading form those who have seen him along the way or when he gets on the Internet to tell us himself.

1. You should learn to comprehend what is said when you read words---won't repeat them as it is hopeless that you will ever will understand.

2. Your intended put downs with "Monday Morning Quaterbacking and your put down comment of "if everyone had only read" ----are once again, VERY offensive in their implications and assumptions ----nothing new for you. ---

3. What happened was not a simple glitch, nor a simple wrong turn, and what he subjected Don Kay too ---well, never mind.

4. But not to worry, you will get your moment of fame you seek, and your chance to say once again, gosh, I only wanted to help.

So carry on with your maps---you draw well with a high lighter.

On Edit---I already know your usual responses very well as they never change - go for it

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

1. You should learn to comprehend what is said when you read words---won't repeat them as it is hopeless that you will ever will understand.

2. You intended put downs with "Monday Morning Quaterbacking and your put down comment of "if everyone had only read" ----are once again, VERY offensive in their implications and assumptions ----nothing new for you. ---

3. What happened was not a simple glitch, nor a simple wrong turn, and what he subjected Don Kay too ---well, never mind.

4. But not to worry, you will get your moment of fame you seek, and your chance to say once again, gosh, I only wanted to help.

So carry on with your maps---you draw well with a high lighter.

On Edit---I already know your usual responses very well as they never change - go for it

Hmmmmmmmm, looks like a 'pot calling a kettle black' to me. :lol:

Pretty funny.

WORDS---It's all in the interpretation, and here is a prime example. We (all of us) ALWAYS bring our bias to the table, unfortunately.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 05:04 PM
Barry, you are correct and I apologize for posting while angry and not really thinking it through---so let me try this again.

Quote:
I have to tell you that with all the 'Monday morning quarterbacking' about Mike and Don-Kay from some Nomads I was hesitant to continue with the daily location posts...

If everyone interested in the burro had taken the time to read the pre-trip articles and video clip, they would know that Mike loves the burro and all his animals... It was hard for him to hand his two personal pets over to Graham to take back north... but he knew it was for their own good.

Anyway, everyone was well rested and the load lightened... The fact that they covered so many miles the first day after the Puerto Catarina rest was very good news, and so I wanted you all to see what they did.

Sure, I was a bit miffed that Mike isn't telling us Nomads how he got Don-Kay around the cliffs to Puerto Catarina... after the help all the involved Nomads provided. But, since Ed at the newspaper is getting his information from here, I guess I see why. The story and photos of that event (if any) should be great to see once the book is published.

So, let's just enjoy following Mike's SPOT locations as he moves south and look forward to reading form those who have seen him along the way or when he gets on the Internet to tell us himself.

DK---please point out or quote where anyone said that Mike does not love his animals? I sure cannot find that. Love may have had nothing to do with him slapping 200 pounds on the back of a young donkey. Maybe he thought the donkey would love it. We don't know his reasons---and not assuming any

Difficult to believe that he researched his adventure so well and yet still chose such an inappropriate course for the donkey that I am sure he loves. And it proved to be a very poor choice----not a misstep---cannot assume why he made that choice after all his research.

Just how do you come to the conclusion that anyone did or did not watch those videos? I know your assumption worked for your conclusion, but do you have ANY direct knowledge of same? Please post it if you do

And frankly, I think Mike owes no one his story, after all there is a book in all of this----smart economic choice it would seem.

So keep your high lighter going and you will probably receive your kudos and credit. But please, refrain from your put downs of others unless you have direct knowledge.

As always, I wish Mike well and DonKay better.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by DianaT]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. ...

Heh, Heh. Why that donkey would be real valuable around a farm. He could plow the earth without a plow.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:07 PM
Nov. 26, 2010

Another big day for Mike and company... At least 14 miles traveled from last night's position.

The AAA map doesn't show the road that is close to the coast that Mike is using... see the Topo map below...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:19 PM

David continue the good work.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on. A happy looking donkey in one picture and the idea of just making a wrong turn just ignore some what some others have said---lack of real knowledge about burros, and lack of appropriate planning for the situation.

Burro's a romantic prop . Burro looks good on book cover.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:

Knowing that stretch and knowing the nature of Burros I'm sure alot of unsavory whipping and rock throwing were involved ..

Is this adventure all about 'The Book' ? I thought you do the adventure 1st and then start talking about the book?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Get real, you can't do it! :lol:

In spite of the fact that this is the Mike and David show [:lol:] Mike should be thankful that someone is keeping track of him. His margin for error is thin.
Keep up the good work, David.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-26-2010 at 07:26 PM

i think Diane has put her finger on an underlying pulse of this thread.

that sound you hear is the blackhole that is Don-Kay's ego sucking all matter into the area around oceanside, ca. sure, he is spending some time putting Mike's adventure into perspective for the BajaNomadNation, but then why should you/we read the book (on a Kindle of course!) as you/we already know what happened?

that said, Mike has only to get through the next 3-4 days and the weather will be on his side. no more rain, ugly fish camps, localistic surf N-zi's..... just the cartel, as CardonHugger refered to, although what are the odds of foul play? from there Mike is sleeping in a real bed and getting fed every day until cabo.

good luck, Mike!

Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.