mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:31 PM

Hats off to the Heroes so far..

David K
BajaGringo
Solo - Kevin / Neil
San Carlos Fish Camp

Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue - please give ..

http://donkeyrescue.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms....
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

All this brings to mind the proverb "No me ayudes, compadre..." :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fW2YOFOVU

:lol::lol::lol:

Double the :lol:

Brian
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
... I had no idea a book was in the works until BajaGringo reported it when he returned from Puerto Catarina. I didn't like the idea from that point, but I decided to continue posting the location of Mike as a matter of concern for them and that the vast majority who view this forum enjoy seeing their progress.

When Mike & I were corresponding about his upcoming trip, I offered to help coordinate help in the case he needed it because Juan has many amigos & family up and down the peninsula...he never mentioned a book...

I think a book is a wonderful idea and doesnt diminish my interest in his trek at all.... why on earth wouldnt you like the idea David? I for one am grateful for the posts you do to keep track of where Mike is so perhaps some nomads may want to join him for a bit which I hope to do too when he gets closer.

What I dont get is why some people attack each other personally on a thread about one man's journey...it's interesting to read people's opinions and outlooks...I may not agree but try not to attack the poster who expresses them. I very much look forward to the book.

hunker down Mike et al...looks like we're gonna have a nasty blow on sunday.

I was a bit put off by what BajaGringo posted that Mike said. I mean we all were concerned and willing to help if even it required driving hundreds of miles. I think the making it a secret of the method of how he and Don-Kay were able to get to Puerto Catarina from where they were on the 20th, to force us to buy a book, is wrong. If he doesn't have faith in the market created by his trek alone to buy some future book, then he doesn't know Baja Nomads very well. At that point the nature of his trek changed from a man's desire of adventure to a man's desire to sell books.

Naturally, I will give Mike the benefit that it wasn't him posting that but I also trust in what BajaGringo posts here.

Let's just continue following him, and see how it goes... hoping for a good outcome, naturally.

you guys are all loony tunes. secret stories to boost book stories. good samaritans offended by secrets. where do y'all come up with this crazy stuff?
when they make this into a movie, which actors will play the arm chair blogging adventurers?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Hats off to the Heroes so far..

Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue - please give ..

http://donkeyrescue.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms....

Here's the real hero in my book....

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 07:01 PM

I for one will buy the book and tuck copies of these posts into it-sometimes the rants here get pretty funny-lots of agendas out there:bounce::bounce:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 07:25 PM

Oh wait! There's a rope around his ankle.

What savage would treat an animal like that!?
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Oh wait! There's a rope around his ankle.

What savage would treat an animal like that!?

And what about those big and lovely gorgeous lashes - must be falsies applied daily to Don Kay for the paparazzi!:lol:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:44 PM
Nov. 27, 2010

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo had another big day... I will guess around 14 miles to just past the San Jose fish camp.

In order for possible access needs I have drawn in some roads that the AAA map doesn't show TW has recently driven. Mileages from TW. Until Mike gets to the modern un-paved highway near Bahia Blanco (that runs all the way along the coast to Santa Rosalillita), 4WD and a second vehicle is recommended to reach him.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Mike, Don-Kay and Solo had another big day... I will guess around 14 miles to just past the San Jose fish camp.

In order for possible access needs I have drawn in some roads that the AAA map doesn't show TW has recently driven. Mileages from TW. Until Mike gets to the modern un-paved highway near Bahia Blanco (that runs all the way along the coast to Santa Rosalillita), 4WD and a second vehicle is recommended to reach him.

Wow, they are really moving! I am guessing that the lighter load on Don-Kay is really making the difference. Mike had to drop a lot of stuff including all of his books he brought to read but the payoff is obvious and I am sure that DK (the 4 legged variety) is much happier.

Second vehicle? I guess I missed that one in my trip planning...

:?:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:57 PM

Quote:

My point was to alert folks that the roads along the coast between Puerto Catarina (where you went) and Bahia Blanca should only be driven in a 4WD with a companion vehicle... for safety. Just good advice... what we did in 2007 when we cruised by with The Squarecircle. http://vivabaja/707

[Edited on 11-28-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 08:59 PM

Quote:

Wow, they are really moving! I am guessing that the lighter load on Don-Kay is really making the difference. Mike had to drop a lot of stuff including all of his books he brought to read but the payoff is obvious and I am sure that DK (the 4 legged variety) is much happier.

Looks like Don Kay sent out strong messages and they were heard. Three cheers for Don Kay. Now on with the show.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 09:33 PM

I applaud Mike challenging himself & taking on the rugged terrain & conditions, as well as Mother Nature!! I believe he's encountered some very rough spots along the way & will apply his hard learned lessons going forth, to the benefit of himself, Don-Kay & Solo. I believe this is a total team effort & Mike is just as dependent on Don-Kay & his well-being, as Don-Kay is dependent on Mike's well-being & treatment. I wish them all a safe & successful journey....mile after mile, after mile, after mile, after stinkin mile!:bounce:

WAY TO GO MIKE!!:bounce:
Quote:
I have to tell you that with all the 'Monday morning quarterbacking' about Mike and Don-Kay from some Nomads I was hesitant to continue with the daily location posts...

Quote:

Sure, I was a bit miffed that Mike isn't telling us Nomads
how he got Don-Kay around the cliffs to Puerto Catarina... after the help all the involved Nomads provided. But, since Ed at the newspaper is getting his information from here, I guess I see why. The story and photos of that event (if any) should be great to see once the book is published.

Quote:
....I had no idea a book was in the works until BajaGringo reported it when he returned from Puerto Catarina. I didn't like the idea from that point, but I decided to continue posting the location of Mike as a matter of concern for them and that the vast majority who view this form enjoy seeing their progress.

Quote:
I was a bit put off by what BajaGringo posted that Mike said. I mean we all were concerned and willing to help if even it required driving hundreds of miles. I think the making it a secret of the method of how he and Don-Kay were able to get to Puerto Catarina from where they were on the 20th, to force us to buy a book, is wrong. If he doesn't have faith in the market created by his trek alone to buy some future book, then he doesn't know Baja Nomads very well. At that point the nature of his trek changed from a man's desire of adventure to a man's desire to sell books.

Naturally, I will give Mike the benefit that it wasn't him posting that but I also trust in what BajaGringo posts here.

A bit Miffed?? Had no idea?? A bit put off??? Why???:?: Would you not have offered if you'd have been told up-front a book might follow Mike's epic trek? What difference does it make? Did Mike violate some sacred unwritten secret oath here?:?: As others have pointed out, isn't publication of this type of adventure after the fact more common than not? You're coming across as though Mike used & deceived you somehow!

In all honesty, WHAT SPECIFICALLY are you miffed & put off about? The fact that there may be a book....or the fact that bajagringo found out before you & usurped you spilling the beans??
Quote:
Graham deserves any boost in sales, so I hope so! 'Into a Desert Place' and 'Journey with a Baja Burro' both are about walking great distances in Baja, at first alone then later with a burro to carry the load. http://grahammackintosh.com

:?:And Mike doesn't deserve the same if he eventually does decide to publish his epic adventure?:?:
Quote:
I offered to post his SPOT locations on the Internet and Mike accepted, and liked the idea. So, no hint from him for free publicity for a future book. It doesn't really matter, I like Baja books, I collect them (like Neal Johns does) and will buy Mike's. Adventure is what it is all about... real life or arm chair...

Based on what you've said throughout this thread, I have a question for you....did you tell Mike upfront when you OFFERED to post his SPOT locations on a daily basis that there were strings/conditions that you were attaching to your offer? Did you make it clear to Mike before he accepted your generous offer exactly what those strings/conditions were & that you reserved the right to bail on your offer if he had the audacity to violate your terms & conditions?

I totally agree with your statement, "Adventure is what it is all about... real life or arm chair." This is totally about Mike, Don-Kay & Solo, it's not about DavidK & his fragile ego. Man up & honor your commitment to Mike to post his progress on a daily basis. Please stop with the petty grade school threat to renege on your offer & stop the whining & sniveling. Don't make Mike regret having accepted your generous offer when he reads your words here....and he eventually will read them!:(
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 10:10 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, LongLegs has just demonstrated to me how taking things out of context will totally mess up someone's good intentions, in this case David's. What is it with you guys and gals????? Do you see ghosts too??? Do you think David is out to get you??? Is he the enemy???

This IS a tough crowd--------and way beyond my comprehension in how they come up with this stuff.

Just ignore it, David (I guess) and keep up the good work.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:04 AM

CHILDREN!!!!
PLEASE BEHAVE!!!!!!!!
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:07 AM

I honestly wish this thread could be returned to what it was supposed to have been. Oh well, it is a forum that is open to all subscribers, so we have to take the bad with the good.

That brings up a question. Would it be possible to start a locked thread that only shows the updated locations and maps? This thread could be left for accusing everyone of something or another.

Brian
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:21 AM

Blane, what a wonderful idea-go David K........
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 08:18 AM

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
I honestly wish this thread could be returned to what it was supposed to have been.

Impossible with the packs of jackals here waiting to pounce on any misstep. And i'm not referencing this thread only.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:43 PM

Never posted before, but I have to now. I can't believe how you guys can take an interesting thread and make it into a childish mudslinging contest about yourselves. Wow, unbelievable.:?:
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.