Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
RichBaja
Banned

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 10:38 PM

A little further south and he hits the seven Puntas. Great surf spots! Check them out.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBaja
A little further south and he hits the seven Puntas. Great surf spots! Check them out.

From Jackie Greene's Seven Jealous Sisters:

"Seven sisters, seven sisters
Are on my mind, they're on my mind
They all live apart and they don't ever speak
So I can have me one every day of the week
Seven sisters are on my mind"
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 10:25 AM

You know, there are many wild burros and horses, coyotes and some deer and sheep out in the wilds of Baja. Somehow they manage to get along - nobody putting 5 gallons of water in front of them. Everyone who Mike comes in contact with is, first and foremost, concerned with Don-Kay and caters to him. So far, so good.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 10:32 AM

That's a beautiful stretch of coastline he’s passing through, and heading into.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBaja

Uh oh! Look out.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 11:33 AM

You mean you can drive right to those surf spots?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 12:45 PM

many of those burros people think are wild are actually just FREE...but they belong to ranchers and know where their water troughs are and go to them every few days when they need to.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 12:57 PM

Just like many of us Nomads, no?! Free roaming souls who know where their Watering Holes are and visit them regularly!:wow::wow: Shut Up Franks, Sharkeys, El Candil, and The Road House to name a few!Too many days and I need to put my head in the trough, verdad! :lol: Oh yeah and The Tidepool, too. Gotta bad thirst, gotta go! Tio
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Gotta bad thirst, gotta go! Tio

Mee too. It's a beautiful, warm day...no freakin' wind and Sharky's opens in thirty minutes.
SALUD
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 01:37 PM

On the last map that DK posted it shows a well to the east of Bahia Blanca. Does anyone know if it is there and is there with good water there? Just curious.

Joelt
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Gotta bad thirst, gotta go! Tio

Mee too. It's a beautiful, warm day...no freakin' wind and Sharky's opens in thirty minutes.
SALUD

I thought you were boycotting Sharkeys. :?:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 03:34 PM

Me too!!:P
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
You mean you can drive right to those surf spots?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Of course you can. You didnt think surfers could hike in all the beer and Animalitos they need, did you?

Gentlemen, start your engines!!! And your GPSes!!! This is gonna be bigger than finding the Ark of the Covenant and Excaliber, combined.

Woody, I recommend Prozac.

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by Hook]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 06:39 PM
Nov. 29, 2010 Beyond Bahia Blanca

Mike and his four leg friends had a big day covering an estimated 16 miles from last night's camp.

They are taking a road that isn't on the AAA map or Almanac, but makes a short cut closer to the coast. We took it in 2007 and before rejoining the graded road going north to the San Antonio Jcn., we found a zone of silt (moon dust/ Baja dust) that reminded me of Laguna Chapala in the old days!

On the AAA map, near the San Antonio Jcn., a well is shown. Mike is not going by that point.

View west:

Viwe south:

High view (north at top):

AAA Map (lagoon south of Mike drawn in):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-29-2010 at 06:57 PM

thanks, Hook!

i'm trying to turn over a new leaf, remember? at least the surf has been/is gonna be flat for weeks so any errant fotos that might end up in a book won't give up the ghost.

Neptune willing....

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 08:01 AM

David, thank you so much for your postings and providing the great information on the whole journey. Thank goodness you have thick enough skin not to let the people who have a little less sense than Don-Kay side- track you and get you off on a tangent. Kinda reminds me of the arm chair quarterbacks you can see at any football gathering who offer eloquent advice on what should have happened and why they are so much smarter and well informed than the person who is actually up to his ass in alligators and trying to drain the swamp. Graham, who is the only critic that has much of value to say, because of his experience, seems to be pretty positive about the whole endeavor.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 08:14 AM

hmmm...less sense than Don Kay??? interesting....ranchers tell me that if you arent sure which path to travel...let the burro choose...he'll know where to go. When Mike went up that canyon, I was wondering who's choice it was...did he follow Don Kay's lead? I look forward to asking him as we had that discussion on the phone about burros' good sense.

David, can you estimate about when Mike will arrive in Rosalillita...we are going to arrange for some hay and goodies to be waiting for them there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 09:05 AM

Shari;
If he continues his current pace of 15 +- miles per day, then 3, maybe 4 days. I used the 'path' tool in GE and just followed the roads and got about 45 miles, not counting any side-trips they may do. It looks to me that there a a lot of level straight stretches so maybe 3?

mike.jpg - 37kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joelt
On the last map that DK posted it shows a well to the east of Bahia Blanca. Does anyone know if it is there and is there with good water there? Just curious.

I was by the well last week and there is a windmill but I don't recall it turning. There are a couple of ranches in the area, one pretty close to the northeast across the valley. There is also a couple of fish camps. One on the north end of Bahia Blanco and one southwest of the well over the hills.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 09:45 AM

Shari, what Santiago says... 3 days, unless he finds a need to take a break for a couple days... which he may wait to do in Santa Rosalillita (specially if he knows there are 'friendlies' there).

Does your contact in Santa Rosalillita have a phone or Internet...? You could let him know Mike's location each night.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.