Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: KILLING BAJA
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
You obviously didn't care much for the changes Miami made.

I don't know what I said that made it obvious that I didn't like the changes in Miami.... Actually, the truth is, I liked many of the changes I saw in Miami. It's like visiting Cuba or South America, or Jamaica, or Haiti, etc. The cultural atmosthere there is absolutely incredible. It just depends on what you are looking for. Many of those who grew up there in my day don't like the changes. But, I love the different cultures just suburbs away from each other. And the FOOD!... well... you get the picture.
Bob H
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
You obviously didn't care much for the changes Miami made.

I don't know what I said that made it obvious that I didn't like the changes in Miami.... Actually, the truth is, I liked many of the changes I saw in Miami. It's like visiting Cuba or South America, or Jamaica, or Haiti, etc. The cultural atmosthere there is absolutely incredible. It just depends on what you are looking for. Many of those who grew up there in my day don't like the changes. But, I love the different cultures just suburbs away from each other. And the FOOD!... well... you get the picture.
Bob H

Well I was wrong then. As for my memories of So Ca. I grew up very close to the ocean and it has certainly changed. I don't consider hotels, condos and golf courses along the beach cliffs any kind of ibenefit except for a limited wealthy few. It was always a "special" place when it was left undisturbed. Now, walkways to the beach for golf club members. This, after voters decided to save the area from developmentin the 70s. They saw value in having such pristine protected places. Especially since all the rest of the adjoining coastline was gobbled up. Gee, I wonder what happened to THAT piece of legislation.:rolleyes:

I can understand how modenizing and developing older areas is good and beneficial. My opposition is not about change per se. It's more about dominate forces at work that are not in the best interest of the public as a whole.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 07:45 PM

Sharks, you always have a very interesting perspective on things. I realy enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.
Bob H
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 12:25 AM
Bob H.

I feel likewise sir.
I also feel dialog and sharing common interests (even off-topic) is beneficial for many reasons . Lest we challenge our own selfs' feelings and opinions would render us biased without bonafide reflection. I find that here. I strive to fine-tune my attitude, philosophy and feelings about myriad interests as I grow older. I really don't want to be a grumpy, stubborn ol' hard-nosed man, thanks.:fire::no: I've seen that.
This forum is a wonderful tool and exercise in displaying self to society. The feedback definitely is a bonus even when it hurts. A persons wisdom is congruent and propotional to the input/output of information received and exchanged through years of experience and influence.
It's a learning curve, given that that person wants to learn. Pity that some, labeled "narrow-minded," simply do not reconcile the information stored within. :light::light::light:

Thanks Bob for makin' me think! Yer a good guy!:light:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Ever hear of "The Ranch" - Hollister Ranch in Santa Barbara, California? Talk about exclusivity......

That's interesting because I consider The Ranch a unique success story of warding off development in the midst of southern Calif. I had the pleasure of visiting a friend and surfing there about 20 years ago, and even if I never get there again in my lifetime I find it reassuring to know that it's still there, and pristine, with perfect empty waves probably peeling in right now. A few lucky Ricos bought their piece of this pie and I say "good on 'em". If I really wanted to visit again, I could get off my butt and Boat-in , and I'd find it in the same unspoiled condition. The fact that it's private is what saved this gem.

But then, I've become a card-carrying Surf-Exclusivist in recent years and am more than happy to "pay", rather than fight for waves. My husband and I have lived modestly and saved, and chose our 2 alternating retirement home locales, partly for their wave quality, but mostly for the privacy/exclusivity of the surf.

?......you get a bunch of surfers to own land, and you either end up with no access, or a surf camp!?

More often, once the land frenzy begins at a remote surf outpost and local people sell off their tiny parcels to surfers seeking "cheap lots", you end up with a new crowd of gringo locals and often just a Surf Ghetto without any thought put in to a master plan.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 01:25 AM

You betcha it as a good thing Ola. We used to drive in like idiots , down the train tracks from,...uh..... Jalama beach?? Anyway, besides geat lefts, were great big Cabezon. Easy taking with a Hawaiian sling.
So what is the state of "The Ranch" these days?

I would hate to here it's been developed but then again, why wouldn't it? Duh! MOOLA!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 09:06 AM

http://www.hollister-ranch.com/

http://surfline.com/surfaz/surfaz.cfm?id=927

I am checking my lotto numbers as we speak! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 09:21 AM

The biggest irony of the whole Ranch thing is that when a swell hits. it's just as crowded as anywhere else!! Owning land only allows you the luxury of paddling out from the beach. There are so many boats out there that surfers get into fights over anchorages. I really hope you win the lottery, but think twice about the ranch.

I have found a new place to surf. It takes many days to get there, it's hot as hell, the shots you have to take are more painful than being dragged across the reef on a ten foot day, and setting foot on land could cost you your head. This place is soooo perfect that several weeks of this place and you have no desire to surf anywhere else.

and no, it's not Tule in august......
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 07:50 PM

I'm sure you're right Sculpin, the boat traffic at the Ranch on good swells is probably ridiculous nowadays and I was envisioning the empty waves and beaches of years ago. A sad sign of the times. I saw my new favorite bumper sticker the other day which politely reads "Thank you for not surfing".

But the quality of the Ranch waves is way beyond the average surf spot in California and it's not an ordinary place. If the empty hills and beaches of those points were filled with condos, hotels and parking lots, I think the perfect waves would attract a surf-crowd the likes of which we have never seen. Given it's proximity to the metropolis, I'd venture that they would become the most crowded surfspots on the planet and the fact that it's private has kept this at bay.

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by oladulce]
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 11:22 PM

I guess you will only find out if you try......good luck!
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 09:46 PM

Wildcoast is working with people who get real results, like Ecoparque.
I have a lot of respect for this organization.

I helped out by designing their "Clean Water Now" ad campaign and last year's Dempsey Holder poster and tees.

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by jide]

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 12:59 PM

It is interesting to see the same polarizing attitudes that are so virulent in our U.S. politics being expressed here regarding Baja. If one reads our forums it is easy to find a side to agree with. The polemics just seem to stick our stands on issues with like kind. We are predominately mature adults here and we have had the time and experience to know where we stand on important issues. Some here are quite eloquent in expressing their ideas; on both sides. Some, not so. Notice that one side is caring and leaning toward positive solutions. There are lots of helpful posts, with links to websites and constructive, helpful ideas. Thank you!!! There are always ways to resist the Status Quo. Change is inevitable. If our hearts are leading, we CAN have some impact as to what kind of change occurs....that is, if we care. If we don't care, we can stick our heads in a sand bar and let the fecal waves wash over us. (Just remember to keep your eyes, ears and especially your mouth shut). :o
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 01:00 PM

Killer Dana had em all beat until it's demise with Dana Point Harbor. San Clemente or Trestles was another great spot except when Tricky Dick used it as his West Coast White House then the Secret Service would conviscate your board if it was washed up after a "wipeout" as they couldn't touch you out in the water.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 01:30 PM

Shari, Sharks, Ola, Mr. Bill and others, Seems' like ya'll are on the same page, maybe from different views. Nothing wrong with taking care of the environment, quality of life etc. Got my support!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-16-2006 at 02:44 PM
Dana Point

My youthful surfing days were limited to Southern California, but Dana Point before the Harbor was the best break I ever surfed. I spent many wonderful days there. I hated that Harbor so much that, in later years when I was sailing, I would avoid going there.

I finally got over that in 1992 when I came up the coast and then sailed (and motored) over to Avalon. It turns out I should have avoided it then. Dana Point is a bad departure point for Catalina because the course is dead into the prevailing wind. Making it worse, I came back from Avalon on the First day of Spring and the last El Nino storm of the year. A truly miserable experience.

"They don't make em like they used to and they never did"
Don Meredith.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.