Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Whale watching tours in San Ignacio
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 07:15 PM
Shari

Do you know if you are allowed to put a kayak in the water at Ojo's??

THey have been very strict with us in th past when we showed up at San Ig. with kayaks (we had no intention of putting in at San Ig. just had them along)...

Thanx!

photo of my then 2 Y/O daughter lovin it..

windy and whale.JPG - 30kB
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 08:20 PM

Absolutely NO vessels of any kind in Ojo de Liebre...strictly prohibited and dangerous..will confiscate kayaks and give you a big fine too...there is a big sign at the entrance...but it's fun to kayak in Laguna Manuela with whales just be real careful and make sure you make noise so they know you are coming.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
...San Ignacio is fine if you don't mind lots of people, planes, gringo companies with lots of pangas. Most people love it as they advertise that you can fondle whales there and most people want that. I have had many bad experiences there and witnessed atrocities of boats chasing whales and also where several boats have boxed in a calf, separated it from it's mom which can be a real problem as sometimes the mom gets alarmed and can hit the boats if she can't get her calf to come back to her. Also seen as many as 12 boats trying to get close to one poor whale.

shari I think you know I have enormous respect for you (and we do share the same last name :) ) but I have to disagree with you. I have watched the whales in all three lagoons for more than 25 years now and in my humble opinion your description here of San Ignacio sounds, to me, much more like the other two lagoons, particularly Magdalena, than it does of San Ignacio. Just the fact that San Ignacio is so much more remote and difficult to get to than the other lagoons suggests that it would be less congested. I have always found Laguna San Ignacio much more remote and peaceful in its solitude than either Ojo de Liebre or Magdalena, and the pangueros, particularly Kuyima's pangueros, very respectful of the whales. I have never seen any "atrocities" there.

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by Ken Bondy]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 08:45 PM

This is the secret to how the Kuyima pangueros get the whales to follow them around all day :) :

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 10:02 AM

I have to agree with Ken. San Ignacio pangeros are the best. They love the whales and I have never seen any of them chasing the whales.
Lopez Mateos is another story. Although I love the place and it is nice to board the panga from a dock instead of wading out to it, the pangeros there do chase the whales. In "Eye of the Whale" Dick Russell even mentions their tactics.
I have only gone out in Scammonds Lagoon once and we didnt really have a wonderful trip but I, too, enjoy the shore show there. We camped at Ojo de Liebre and I was thrilled to be awakened with the sound of the whales blowing. What a great alarm clock. I did a trip report on that but I guess it just got erased. ah well.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I have to agree with Ken. San Ignacio pangeros are the best. They love the whales and I have never seen any of them chasing the whales.
Lopez Mateos is another story. Although I love the place and it is nice to board the panga from a dock instead of wading out to it, the pangeros there do chase the whales. In "Eye of the Whale" Dick Russell even mentions their tactics.
I have only gone out in Scammonds Lagoon once and we didnt really have a wonderful trip but I, too, enjoy the shore show there. We camped at Ojo de Liebre and I was thrilled to be awakened with the sound of the whales blowing. What a great alarm clock. I did a trip report on that but I guess it just got erased. ah well.

Is this it?: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=8669#pid64058

Or here?: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=8496

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 12:48 PM

I shall repeat this again, it totally depends on who you go out with, on what days, time of year etc. etc. etc. but I certainly respect your humble opinions. But I'm sure 25 years back San Ignacio was pretty mellow as were all of them.

synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 03:54 PM
Did she really say "WHALE PIMPING?

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
The best place to see whales totally depends on what kind of person you are and how you FEEL about whales. If you like lots of gringo companies, lots of boats, planes and tourists chasing whales around to try to touch them...then yes San Ignacio is for you. There there is more mating activity,and is a much smaller lagoon with many more boats. If you like a more respectful approach with fewer humans and more whales doing their natural whale thing which is raising their babies...then Ojo de Liebre (scammons lagoon) is a better bet. My favorit place to observe whales is driving out to the lagoon south of Guerrero Negro and camping where you can hear the whales blowing all night and see them from shore spy hopping at dawn. There are very few boats there and not alot of people either. The boats leave on demand and often there are just a few people on board and you can wait and choose the folks you want to go out with which really makes a big difference on your trip...and often you are the only boat out with the animals...and there are between 1,500 and 2.000 whales there as opposed to 3-400 in San Ignacio. Ojo de Liebre is the largest and main calving lagoon where over half of the worlds gray whales are born. It is awesome to observe the mother's and calves nursing and teaching their lovely babies how to spy hop and breach. There you see much more natural behavior as they are not as disturbed by boats. While I too love petting whales, we must remember that human habituated animals are in more danger of being killed and the point of whale watching is just that...to watch...observe and appreciate thier beauty...not race around trying to touch them. This whole whale touching phenomenon has become rather obscene in my opinion as people now come to expect to touch a whale and companies even guarantee touching!! Kind of whale pimping. This makes me sad as it puts alot of pressure on the boat operators to get close to a whale...sometimes in San Ignacio I feel like the whales are just resigned to this and swim up to a boat just to get it over with. In the old days,whales were afraid of boats and kept their distance but now they have not only lost their fear but even challenge the pangas to the point of being dangerous. You don't hear much about these accidents but I assure you, they happen. I have seen a real change in whale behavior over the last 20 years...yes they are more "friendly" but are also much more agressive. There have been many more accidents as whales are now coming right up to boats and they don't always see the animals and so run them over which makes the whales kinda mad and they slap the panga away. I can tell you, it's no fun getting tail slapped by a 30' angry whale. So all of you whale watchers, please be kind to these lovely sensitive creatures...respect their lives and their space and don't pressure your captain to get too close. Just enjoy thier splendid presence.

Did she really say "WHALE PIMPING?

Perhaps Jesse can start a new reality TV show "Pimp my whale!"

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by synch]
Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 05:31 PM

Shari, our current plan is to leave Rosarito Beach about 7:00 a.m. We figure that will put us in town between three and four.

However, should we be delayed and not make it in time to meet you, what time should we be at the beach to connect for the pongas? (And I need to give you your rice and Get Baja sticker)

Pat
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 12:43 PM

We'll have coffee at the restaurant beside the ticket booth at around 8:30, make sure you change your clocks...we're 1 hour later here. It takes about 45 minutes to drive out to the lagoon. Don't forget extra batteries for your camera and warm clothes. There will be other Nomads staying at Los Caracoles too that night. Hope to see ya for dinner at Las Cazuelas.

Pstreet1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 01:12 PM

We're going to try to be there. We've moved our departure to 6:00 a.m., hoping to be in town early enough to meet you. What time are you thinking of for dinner?

In any case, we'll see you for coffee at 8:30--thanks for the clock information.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 08:40 AM

Yep sometime between 3 & 4 would be great, I'm sure we'll be there awhile. Hasta pronto

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.