Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: El Canelo wash
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 11:44 PM

Awesome Ken...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
I will be inviting more capable Jeepers on this trip along with my friend with the Ford Explorer which is going EXTREME. This will not be a "run" where people show up expecting everything to be done for them. Mentally, that is not where my mind is at this point. I'm looking for fun and adventure along with a release from the moment. Checking out some new digs south of the border sounds like the kind of fun that will lure me back to my two most favorite things - tough 4 wheeling and BAJA, CALIFORNIA.

Ken,
You've seen a photo of my Bronco pre-runner and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that I also own a Grand Cherokee so I do have some Jeep blood. Perhaps you guys wouldn't mind a big Ford product tagging along with you on this one since one of it's smaller siblings is invited. We're no worries and fully self contained for the whatevers of Baja. I am very interested in scouting these shortcut cross over trails.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 02:45 AM

Quote:
Gadget,

No problem if you'd like to be in on this trip. I am not listing it as a, "Run" because I don't want the hassles/worries of leading a group run, and because this trip is simple therapy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
I will be inviting more capable Jeepers on this trip along with my friend with the Ford Explorer which is going EXTREME. This will not be a "run" where people show up expecting everything to be done for them. Mentally, that is not where my mind is at this point. I'm looking for fun and adventure along with a release from the moment. Checking out some new digs south of the border sounds like the kind of fun that will lure me back to my two most favorite things - tough 4 wheeling and BAJA, CALIFORNIA.

Ken,
You've seen a photo of my Bronco pre-runner and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that I also own a Grand Cherokee so I do have some Jeep blood. Perhaps you guys wouldn't mind a big Ford product tagging along with you on this one since one of it's smaller siblings is invited. We're no worries and fully self contained for the whatevers of Baja. I am very interested in scouting these shortcut cross over trails.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 04:35 PM

Ken,
Copy that. Please keep us posted on a confirmed departure date so we can determine who will be riding co-dog with me. That's all I need. E-mail me direct if you want.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 08:50 PM

Departure from Riverside, CA is Sunday 4/8/07 - arriving in San Felipe at night. Staying until Thursday 4/12/07 - returning to Riverside, CA.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 05:55 PM

Ken,
Please go to you U2U

See you in Baja
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:02 PM

El Canelo gang:

1. Gadget in his raced-out Bronco
2. Andrew in his built CJ-7 on 36" TSL Swamper Radials
3. Ken in his 'BAJAJPN' Rubicon
4. MadMike in his '07 Unlimited Rubicon

Talk about a diverse group! This should be a blast in the desert. I can't wait to start snapping digital photos of all of the rocks we are bound to encounter! :bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 07:06 PM

Our crew is assembled. There will be 3 Jeeps and 1 Toyota on this trip. All 3 Jeeps are lifted, locked, 4:1 gear reduction, mud-terrain tires, etc. The Toy is built to tackle the Sierras, so we can't wait to see how it works in Baja.

Our plan is to tackle Smuggler's Canyon on Sunday, and then pack up and drive to San Felipe for showers and beer. Then, Canelo Wash with Baja Lou. It should be a blast.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 08:14 PM

Have fresh batteries in your GPS Ken!

If it is a no go through Canelo to the mine, then go south to Turquesa Canyon and make the way from the turquoise mine to the grade, and up!

Remember, after the turquoise mine, stay to the right (north) side of the wash... It should only be a mile to the bottom of the grade!

Here are the photos (also in the trip report here on Nomad):

http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum1/207

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by David K]

La Turquesa-r.JPG - 41kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see this area. On Day #1, we plan to tackle Smuggler's Canyon.

As you can see, we have ourselves plenty of off-road fun planned for the next several days...:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 08:00 AM

Looks like Copper Canyon of mainland Mexico (great pictures)... The few in the beginning of you Jeepers climbing on a junk car and some granite must be this 'Smugglers Canyon'? Where is that?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Where is that?

Its our secret. Bring your Toyota out to play with us, and we'll take you there. I couldn't believe how much traction that granite provides a set of tires. Look forward to more pictures when we return...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 08:33 PM

Turquesa is too far south. We want this to be an easy trip - 4 wheeling during the day, and plenty of fun and drinking during the night. We'll see what those Jeeps and lone Toyota can do in Canelo...

[Edited on 4-6-2007 by Ken Cooke]

Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:57 AM

I wish the moderator would pull this aggravating post from the board so I don't have to look at it any more since I can't go :no::no::no: Seriously, guys have fun and be safe. Will hook up GSB with you Jeepers on the next one and you can see what a FoMoCo will do. Granted, as I'm sure there is much snickering going on regarding that comment, I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars on the Bronco to make it work. It was barely worth didily when it was stock :spingrin: and yes, now I have chapped the purest, Ford guys hides, sorry, just a little clowning here.
And David, don't forget to get ahold of me for the La Turquesa when you want to do a Fri - Sun run on it, OK!

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by Gadget]

See you in Baja
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:13 PM

It looks like we have a full day of HARDCORE 4'wheeling on Sunday which makes me VERY happy. Tuesday, we have a 2nd day of HARDCORE 'wheeling as well, so, this looks to be a really fun and great trip south of the border - my 4th in a month! :bounce:

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2007 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
I wish the moderator would pull this aggravating post from the board so I don't have to look at it any more since I can't go :no::no::no: Seriously, guys have fun and be safe. Will hook up GSB with you Jeepers on the next one and you can see what a FoMoCo will do. Granted, as I'm sure there is much snickering going on regarding that comment, I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars on the Bronco to make it work. It was barely worth didily when it was stock :spingrin: and yes, now I have chapped the purest, Ford guys hides, sorry, just a little clowning here.
And David, don't forget to get ahold of me for the La Turquesa when you want to do a Fri - Sun run on it, OK!

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by Gadget]

Gadget, that's a deal... and Roy (The Squarecircle) is ready to go too and get his new Land Rover dirty, the right way!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 09:55 PM

Just back from the El Canelo wash expedition, I am amazed at how well Baja Lou's VW Buggy kept up with our built Jeeps! He was able to go literally everywhere our Jeeps could go - with ease.

We could not reach the mine, due to the fact that the rocks kept getting bigger, and I did not want to keep smacking my differentials and gas tank skid plate on those things. I slid off of a rock on my steering knuckle, and my front differential kept getting hit throughout the day-long trip.

Lou, his friends Bruce and Wes were great people. Too bad I have to work everyday for a living - otherwise, I'd spend the rest of the spring in San Felipe instead!:light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 07:09 AM

So how far did you get? GPS reading.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 07:27 AM

Time for bigger tires?.....:lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:12 AM

Here's the end L/L N 30 25.375, W 114 45.656.

I got a couple pf pictures I'll post later with a little report of the great time we had with Ken and friends. We got into the high resolution area on GoogleEarth but not too much farther. The rockfield ahead of us was doable, but slowly, so we chose lunch and a return.

Great trip - and not the last one to this area - got to find the mine for TW

[Edited on 4-13-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.