Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: new board.....
Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 11:19 PM

I love this thread. Woody in OB, I love your pictures and everything you have written here. My first board was a Sunset Surfboards single fin diamond tail. I will try to post the pic later. My dad bought that for me in '79 for 5 bucks, but the ding repairs were 50!!! Needless to say, there has been many boards in between then and now. The newest ones are a 9'0" Channin 2+1 epoxy and a 10' Otis single fin. That one is a beauty!!!

\"Life\'s a journey, not a destination...\" Aerosmith
Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 11:33 PM
surfing in Ventura

Here is one pic of me in Ventura.

Ventura surfing.jpg - 4kB

\"Life\'s a journey, not a destination...\" Aerosmith
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 05:37 PM

Love the old photos! I bought my first board in 1988 when I was 14. I can't remember who made it, but it had a horrible geometric airbrush design on it that was orange, pink and gray. Very 80's looking and absolutely no rocker at all. I gotta dig through my old photos.....

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-13-2008 at 10:52 AM

Woody, thanks for starting this thread...love the stories...anytime you want to surf Las Gavitoas, (k41 1/2) let me know and your in!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-13-2008 at 11:13 AM

actually, this thread is 1.5 years old and was ressurrected last week. surfer jim stared it and i just glommed on.

thanks for the invite....

jpatosprey1

Mood: always adventurous - sometimes quixotic

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
1983, my first and only REAL "magical" board. 6'5" Rick Holt shape South Coast "Supercharged" (tribute to the air Coryell team) singlefin pintail.

i'd have to dig too deep to find a foto. but here is THAT board in action on the wave of my life.....Salsipuedes Dec-83 <the shark wouldn't bite and the bee wouldn't sting!>

[Edited on 6-19-2007 by woody in ob]
jpatosprey1

Mood: always adventurous - sometimes quixotic

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
the racetrack 3 of 3. notice there is no one else in the water!!!!!

hey woody - did not know you were ripping el nino in 1983. especially at salsipuedes. nice wave - actually way beyond nice. i will make sure connor sees these three photos. definitely looked like a "leave if you can" kind of day. jp

ps. it seems like almost every new board i get is the magic board - until the next one..... in november 2008 it was this 6'7" pendoflex that i was lucky to buy from some unappreciative guy who had it shaped for himself and surfed it once. had a brand new wax job. heh heh. and carbon fiber fea future fin setup. 17 magical sessions later - in 14 days - along comes this 6'4" merrick m4..............and the winner will be................?
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2008 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Wow,Lee, So you had a Phil board also? Double redwood stringers and redfin? MMM, yeah, good surfing days then.I grew up here , started surfing in 1967, and my brother actually took Joyce Hoffman to their Senior prom! They were "kinda" dating then and I went to school with her little sis, Dibbie, and we hung together alot. That was before she married Herbie Fletcher.Where did you live back then?And there was the Harrison family, Loren Sr., of course, Loren Jr., Marion and Jenny.What great days those were, and real die hard surfers,,,great people, wonderful memories!

By '67 I was making my own leashes, ( I don't like to swim for my board ).My first real good board was a Greg Noll, My first board was Jonny Fains used team Jacobs board, and since he was already a good surfer and surfed Malibu, was pretty flat. I a beginner always pearled. I told Greg Noll this and he said you just need more rocker. It worked perfectly, so I rode Greg's boards for a few years, till I started making my own. For the past 15 years I've been riding a Phil Becker, my current board is one of the last he shapped, he's now retired from shapping.When I lived in SD I rode boards shaped by me or Tim Bessel.

Yes double stringers and redfin. Phil was just the greatest surfer back then and the epitomy of cool. Joyce was the top woman surfer -- along with rival, Nancy Nelson.

And you'll remember That San'O was a ''private'' beach and you had to be a member to get in.

I was 19 and stationed at Camp Pendleton between tours of Nam. '66 was the best Summer of my life. Surfed most of the week, all weekend, drank beer at the Club House (just North of the park fence). Life was good then. It's good now, but it was really good then. I knew everyone in the water and it was family. No leashes, one fin!

P.S. Second board was a blue 9' Surfboards Hawaii. Shoulda never sold my Hobie. Got it used at Gordon & Smith in San Diego.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 08:01 AM

Tim Bessel sure did make some good boards over the years.One of my favorite all time boards was a 6'8" Bessel I got from him in the 80's..

805 gregg, do you remember a board maker named Wes Golemon?? Shaped for Noll for a while and then had his own shop at Silver Strand in the 60's..His son is a buddy of mine and just got on eof his old boards. He's looking for info and more boards..Just curious..

TT
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 08:02 AM

This is the Wes Golemon logo...

DSCN3172.JPG - 19kB
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-29-2009 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
actually, this thread is 1.5 years old and was ressurrected last week. surfer jim stared it and i just glommed on.

thanks for the invite....

HA HA!!!! Surf ho!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Tim Bessel sure did make some good boards over the years.One of my favorite all time boards was a 6'8" Bessel I got from him in the 80's..

805 gregg, do you remember a board maker named Wes Golemon?? Shaped for Noll for a while and then had his own shop at Silver Strand in the 60's..His son is a buddy of mine and just got on eof his old boards. He's looking for info and more boards..Just curious..

I don't remember Wes, but I do remember Fast Eddie who worked for Greg. I moved to Ventura County in '84. I don't like most of the local shapers, I had David Puau? Morning Star and Fletcher at Point Blanks (Patagonia's son) try and shape me boards, that didn't work. I do have a cool Yater shaped 9'6" carbon fiber Carl Pope Bisect travel board. A collectors item now hull #16 never been ridden or even waxed. I'll sell it in a few years, to one of you well to do surfers.

TT
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 04:25 PM

Cool Gregg,

Thanks for crankin up the old memmory banks for me...Boy, i would sure love to see that Yater/pope bisect. It sounds veeery interesting...when was it made?? I have a '59 Yater Balsa that I'm holding for the right time as well..I have a few other wooden Yaters in the collection, but late model stuff..one 10'0" balsa that has never been waxed ridden, my pride and joy.

TT
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 04:26 PM

The Yater shaped Pope bisect is a few years old, Carl Pope started making them after he sold his health club here in Ojai. I ran into his son Than in Ventura and he took me over to see the beginings of the bisect. The first ones were carbon fiber, Than took a 2x4 and hit one on the rail, the 2x4 just bounced off. Later I went by to see how things were shaping up and Carl had hull #16 sitting on a rack, his secretary came in and said the buyer had just backed out, Before my brain was in gear I said it's mine, luckily I was making good money back then because it was $1800 and probably worth every penny, fabricated by an aircraft manufacturer. It's a hollow carbon fiber piece of surf jewlery. It's only been on one surf trip with me to Punta Mita but no surf so no wax. Now they look like they are made in Slovakia or some other crappy place and shaped by some jokers.

[Edited on 5-3-2009 by 805gregg]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.