[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:05 AM

dinner at alfonsinas

baja21.JPG - 36kB
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
what's the time penalty to go to Gonzaga via HW 1 and cocos corner instead of from SF?
just curious.
and assumes starting point is SD area, crossing at TJ.

i can't imaging 4-5 hours to go, what? 75 miles or so? and get beat up all the way?
i think i'd go on the pavement around cocos each time.

My calculations are 8-9 hrs via SF and maybe 9-10 hrs via HW1. But I also hate the traffic going through ensenada and SQ ... but the Puertecitos-Gonzaga road!?!?!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja_Girl
Hey, Preston, I'm heading in that direction soon...it took 5 hours from SF to Gonzaga? Just slow because of the road, or did the doggie and son need time out of the car?

Hmmm, anyone know how long it would take on a Sunday to go from SF to Guerrero Negro via Gonzaga? Can I do it in 10 hours, mas o menos?

gracias.

I have traveled this road often since it was built in 1985/6 and the older 4WD road it replaced, it is in the worse shape starting 8 miles south of Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay...

San Felipe to Puertecitos is well paved, but not a high speed highway due to sudden, stupid engineered dips across arroyos. Speed limit is signed 40 kph (25 mph)! So the 55 mile road to Puertecitos will take you 1.5 hours, or more if you do the speed limit.

Puertecitos to Gonzaga is about 50 miles, with 42 being pretty slow due to the rocks and washed away base dirt exposing the rock base. 2WD is passable, but low cars should avoid... allow 3-4 hours.

Gonzaga to Hwy. 1 is in better shape (36 miles) and will take an hour, or more if you stop at Coco's Corner.

Capt. Mike, it is the bad roads of Baja that not only made it famous, but gives it character, keeps out the rif-raf, and has preserved it from being over-developed this long. You can fly into Gonzaga as there are three airports there still open, afterall.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
maybe it's just me, but the kid and the dog look pretty happy.....to be off the road!!!:lol::lol:

Your right! for the kids and the dogs ... it's the destination, not the journey. I was the same way when I was young.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by preston
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
what's the time penalty to go to Gonzaga via HW 1 and cocos corner instead of from SF?
just curious.
and assumes starting point is SD area, crossing at TJ.

i can't imaging 4-5 hours to go, what? 75 miles or so? and get beat up all the way?
i think i'd go on the pavement around cocos each time.

My calculations are 8-9 hrs via SF and maybe 9-10 hrs via HW1. But I also hate the traffic going through ensenada and SQ ... but the Puertecitos-Gonzaga road!?!?!

San Diego to Gonzaga Bay via Hwy. 1 is 8 hours.

San Diego to Gonzaga Bay via Hwy. 5 is 10 hours.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja_Girl
Hey, Preston, I'm heading in that direction soon...it took 5 hours from SF to Gonzaga? Just slow because of the road, or did the doggie and son need time out of the car?

Hmmm, anyone know how long it would take on a Sunday to go from SF to Guerrero Negro via Gonzaga? Can I do it in 10 hours, mas o menos?

gracias.

I have traveled this road often since it was built in 1985/6 and the older 4WD road it replaced, it is in the worse shape starting 8 miles south of Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay...

San Felipe to Puertecitos is well paved, but not a high speed highway due to sudden, stupid engineered dips across arroyos. Speed limit is signed 40 kph (25 mph)! So the 55 mile road to Puertecitos will take you 1.5 hours, or more if you do the speed limit.

Puertecitos to Gonzaga is about 50 miles, with 42 being pretty slow due to the rocks and washed away base dirt exposing the rock base. 2WD is passable, but low cars should avoid... allow 3-4 hours.

Gonzaga to Hwy. 1 is in better shape (36 miles) and will take an hour, or more if you stop at Coco's Corner.

Capt. Mike, it is the bad roads of Baja that not only made it famous, but gives it character, keeps out the rif-raf, and has preserved it from being over-developed this long. You can fly into Gonzaga as there are three airports there still open, afterall.

David: agree completely with your analysis and thoughts. In spite of my complaining about the road ... I hope (and pray) they will never pave it (or at least until I pass away).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:20 AM

You are a good man Preston!;D

Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:50 AM

How Fun!!! Its exactly what I had hoped for!!! Nasty old rocky roads!!! Yippee!!! Thanks, guys, you are so way-cool and really helpful...I promise to post photos so you can laugh all the way with me.
xoxoxoxox
tu amiga siempre
lisa marie
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 12:56 PM

Yes that was them Peston, the other gentlemans name is Gino. Well great
to hear that they did make it out to overnight at the island. Gino is the diver of the group. They should be back real soon with lots to tell. I wonder if they ever made it out to San Francisquito as planned?
Thanks for the response.
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Yes that was them Peston, the other gentlemans name is Gino. Well great
to hear that they did make it out to overnight at the island. Gino is the diver of the group. They should be back real soon with lots to tell. I wonder if they ever made it out to San Francisquito as planned?
Thanks for the response.

They did not mention san francisquito .. and I did talk to them quite a bit about diving, etc.
Yakfishing
Junior Nomad

Mood: Onshore wishing I was offshore

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 03:37 PM
BOLA to Border Travel Time??

Quote:

The trip north was uneventful (about 6 to 7 hours to the border … with 1 stop for tacos in San Quintin …

Hey Preston,
Great report and photos!

What shortcut do you take?
It takes me about 10 hours to get to the border from BOLA.
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yakfishing
Quote:

The trip north was uneventful (about 6 to 7 hours to the border … with 1 stop for tacos in San Quintin …

Hey Preston,
Great report and photos!

What shortcut do you take?
It takes me about 10 hours to get to the border from BOLA.

Sorry ... I did a recalculation and it was 7.5 to 8 hours to the border. There was very little traffic (even through SQ) and was never stuck behind a truck climbing a hill so I was moving well pretty much all the time. There was only one military stop and he waved us right through (no inspection). This was probobly as fast as I have done it. I pretty much keep it at 70 MPH when I can. More typical for me is probobly 8 to 9 hours (but I don't keep statistics).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 07:07 PM

Then there's the 1-3 hour border line to add to the 8 hour drive!

Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 08:23 PM

I just did this route two weeks ago (1st timer) and I really liked it. Yeah the road is slow and rocky but it just gives you more time to see the sites.
Be sure to watch out for the arrow head shaped rocks standing on edge in the road. They look like they will easily puncture a tire.
Not sure how many hours it took us to go from Puertocitos to Gonzaga we stopped near Isla Lobos and camped for one night.
We were towing a 15' aluminum boat so we were a little slower in some areas.
Came out through Chapala then on to San Quintin.
Can't wait to go back.

The Pemex in Gonzaga was out of gas when we were there (6/11-14) be sure to plan for that.
Diesel was available at the Rancho Grande store.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Then there's the 1-3 hour border line to add to the 8 hour drive!

plus "Capt. Mike, it is the bad roads of Baja that not only made it famous, but gives it character, keeps out the rif-raf, and has preserved it from being over-developed this long. You can fly into Gonzaga as there are three airports there still open, afterall. "

yur right DK....what WAS i thinking??!!

an 8 hour drive i can handle if i have a week or 2.:lol:

but a 1-3 hour wait at a border??:no:
i don't know how you put up with it.

guess i'll keep drinking Red Bull and go with the wings...:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2008 at 05:06 PM

hola Preston - got your email...........do a trip when you can but do you know how HOT it is there now??!!
it was 113 today in phx - san felipe just as bad. yikes - give me the pacific bro!! and PSFO or Gonzaga??
fuggedaboutit :(

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2008 at 05:53 PM

Almost a year between the above two posts Cap. Mike!?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-17-2008 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
My car is a ’97 Ford Explorer with 114K miles. Has never failed me yet! It will be my Baja car until it dies in Baja (where I will leave it to some local who will probably get another 50K miles out of it).

My friend Chris has two of these - a 2WD lowrider, and a 4WD rock crawler. Here's the proof:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31905

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 07:12 AM

yeah - we are currently discussing a flight for him. mainly by PM and email.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.