Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Cost of a New Panga?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 07:40 PM

Bajabound, I suppose around where you live in Sausalito getting into and out of the water is no problem because there are lots of launch sites/ramps available and handy. If you're only going to use it up there close and only in BOLA when you are down south, you need only figure out which boat will launch/haul safely in both places. Do you know what current conditions are on the beaches where you would/could launch/haul in BOLA? If so your problem is solved ----- the boat should match the two locations. The reason you don't see more medium size tin boats in the Sea of Cortez is because you can't always easily put em in, run em up on the sand -- all the new motors have hydralic lifts, won't kick up when you hit the beach, tin boats don't slide up the sand like glass boats. Safety and comfort on the water are important but if you can't safely get in and out, the rest don't matter. Pay attention to the launch conditions.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 11:00 PM

BOLA has some pretty decent launch ramps, Osprey. He could pretty much launch anything he wanted in that area. Not even tide dependent since Guillermo extended his ramp and the Villa Vita ramp is very good, too.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Bajabound, I suppose around where you live in Sausalito getting into and out of the water is no problem because there are lots of launch sites/ramps available and handy. If you're only going to use it up there close and only in BOLA when you are down south, you need only figure out which boat will launch/haul safely in both places. Do you know what current conditions are on the beaches where you would/could launch/haul in BOLA? If so your problem is solved ----- the boat should match the two locations. The reason you don't see more medium size tin boats in the Sea of Cortez is because you can't always easily put em in, run em up on the sand -- all the new motors have hydralic lifts, won't kick up when you hit the beach, tin boats don't slide up the sand like glass boats. Safety and comfort on the water are important but if you can't safely get in and out, the rest don't matter. Pay attention to the launch conditions.

More fiction Osprey?

I have never seen a Gringo in a fancy medium sized fiberglass boat, "run his boat up on the beach". These must be the same fiberglass boats that don't have power trim? :lol: As a matter of fact, I just fished with a guy who has just such a panga and he was scared to get within 30 ft of a sandy beach on a flat calm day. Like someone mentioned before, Pangas are mexaneered for the SOC. If you fish anywhere else, another boat might be a better option. However, I would pay to see you run your Panga up the launch ramp in Saucalito.:o

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 08:00 AM

It seems to me the prices quoted on pangas in baja are outreageous 25 30 grand for a no frills boat is way hi google panga craft lots of sizes and options for a reasonable price and you get a choice not having to settle for what the builders speciality is is a big plus in my book
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

More fiction Osprey?

I have never seen a Gringo in a fancy medium sized fiberglass boat, "run his boat up on the beach". These must be the same fiberglass boats that don't have power trim? :lol: As a matter of fact, I just fished with a guy who has just such a panga and he was scared to get within 30 ft of a sandy beach on a flat calm day. Like someone mentioned before, Pangas are mexaneered for the SOC. If you fish anywhere else, another boat might be a better option. However, I would pay to see you run your Panga up the launch ramp in Saucalito.:o

Here's one:

ZZ2EE488CD.jpg - 45kB

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:11 PM

Tone, are you saying you run that boat on the beach and it does not have power trim?

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:20 PM

My panga is glass, 23 ft 8 inches, 55 HP Johnson, just like the 20 odd pangas on our beach (and on beaches everywhere in the southland just like these) and it runs up on the beach to get above the waves when it's rough when we return from a day's outing. I'd venture to say hundreds like mine do it every day. These old motors just kick up when you hit the sand. Not many launch ramps down here. How would you go about it?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:25 PM

A neighbor gave me his old boat trailer about 2 years ago. Before that I didn't have a trailer, kept my boat on the beach with all the other pangas. Pushed it in with my Jeep, ran it up on the beach when I came back in, pulled it up above the high tide mark with jeep/truck/whatever just like my Mexican neighbors. I just did what I had to do to go fishing. There's not a lot of mystery about the process.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Tone, are you saying you run that boat on the beach and it does not have power trim?

Sorry, Minnow. I glossed over the "power trim" part and thought your point was that gringos are afraid to run their pangas up on the beach. In this case, I carefully coasted up on a rocky beach. This is an older 21' La Paz built Panga, circa 1982. Nothing fancy....just reliable, stable and planes well. The bow does like to slap the water though when choppy. The motor is a 1999 Johnson 90, 2 stroke. I also have a Mercury 9.9 kicker motor just so I don't end up in Guaymas. The location is just inside the point on the far side of Bahia de Conception. Good fishin' around that point.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
It seems to me the prices quoted on pangas in baja are outreageous 25 30 grand for a no frills boat is way hi google panga craft lots of sizes and options for a reasonable price and you get a choice not having to settle for what the builders speciality is is a big plus in my book

I agree Jim.

It's become such a buyer's market for good used boats everywhere, as fuel stays high and the bottom drops out of the real estate market.

Where the pangas really shine is in areas with limited launching, as mentioned several times in this post.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:43 PM

Osprey, nothing wrong with your setup for your area. Very specific for the conditions though. If I was in your situation I would have the same rig. When in Rome......

Tone, nothing wrong with your boat either. I would not call it fancy though.

Now this panga I would call Fancy. I hear they are using it in a Movie that they are filming in Baja.

No wonder he didn't want to get it near the beach, movie stars are so tempermental.:lol:

[Edited on 25-7-2007 by Minnow]

[Edited on 25-7-2007 by Minnow]

phpZxef1gPM.jpg - 41kB

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms

The most recent price quote I got on a "no frills" Mexican panga was about a year ago. $8500 USD (no motor). Mine has "frills:" Fuel tank, T-top, bow rails, stern rails, center console rails, gauges, hydraulic steering, bilge pump, bait pump, three piece construction, extra storage compartments, and more, all custom ordered.

However, some of the new US made pangas are really nice and the prices are good too. Those boats are certainly worth looking at.

bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for your reponses. All of the information has been good food for thought. I'll let you know what I finally decide.

It never hurts to see a few more pictures of boats!
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 11:58 PM

Check out this panga style boat. Pretty nice for the price. The link is for a 26' but the 22' I looked at was $34K out the door with a trailer. I have since moved on to looking @ Makos, Regulators (100% wood free), Parker & Edgewater. All of these boats have the main features we are looking for like self bailing c-ckpits, live wells, large gas tanks, hydraulic steering, trim tabs & lots of cooler storage! One of the Edgewater boats equipped with twin Yamaha 150's was "cruising" while only burning 2.7 GPH. Not too bad for a real nice looking CC boat.

http://www.anglerboats.com/models/index.php?model=26panga

The two most important reasons for me to look at some US made CC's were (1) twin motors. If one goes out, you can still make it back home safely as "Toneart" mentioned. (2) USCG regulations for the US made hulls (< 26') to have "Full Flotation" (foam filled). I am not sure if any of the Mexican full fiberglass pangas have either of those options. Diaz probably offers those as options.

Peloncito
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 11:41 AM

Flotation: My Diaz panga has a short bilge area in the stern with four plugs: one at the stern to drain the bilge, and three forward to drain sealed bilge areas. To my knowledge, this and other pangas use sealed air spaces instead of foam. That's not as good as foam if you get holed in a collision, grounding, etc.

A couple of points to consider: Should you develop a small leak in a foam-filled compartment, the foam can absorb the water and it is very difficult to get it out. Also, US requirements for flotation in boats over 20' do not require LEVEL flotation. Unless there is lots of foam in the sides and gunwales expect to float upside down. Mexican pangas do too.

Twin engines: You can get those on a Diaz panga. I think the "slot" on the transom has to be longer. But I don't know to what extent performance and economy are changed. Two 75hp engines will probably weigh much more than a single 150hp. There is definately more peace of mind with two, but double the maintenance costs and double the chances of mechanical problems. And no added protection from a fuel related problem that can stop both engines. I chose to use one engine; we'll see what happens.

If you end up with something like a Regulator you will pay more up front, and more for fuel. Could be tougher to launch in some areas and conditions. Will need more power to tow. But the "fit and finish" will be far better, more features, a dryer ride, better range and you can go FAST. You're looking at some really nice boats.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 02:11 PM

Two engines=twice the drag etc. and double the chance of a mechanical malfunction.:yes:
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 04:13 PM

Very good points on the twin engines Don. Never really thought through the double maintenance costs. Yamaha has a very good track record and their new 250 has a revised better fuel filter to protect against gas related problems. We all know how clean Pemex gas is.......

I was mistaken on the USCG requirements for flotation for 26' versus 20' but what I did find out today after looking @ the Grady White's, is that their complete CC line all the way up to their 306 (30') have the foam filled hulls. This is right off their brochure: It not clear what "afloat" is defined as.....

"Our boats have more than enough foam to keep the boat, motor and listed capacity of people afloat. Grady White's sprayed in closed cell polyurethane foam won't absorb water even if the hull is punctured, so the boat does not sink."

The Grady I looked at (222) today has a single Yamaha 250 equipped on it and I think the smallest option was the 200. Of course the Grady is priced @ $68K. Ouch!!!!! I wonder if Regulator, Parker and the others have followed that philosophy of filling all of their models with foam? I would hope so.

It is tough to select a boat that is right for every condition or situation.....
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 10:22 PM

Martyman

If you are still looking at a 16 footer, take a look at the Klamath center console. I have one that I actually bought from Pescador a few years ago. He will tell you what a great Baja boat this is. I'm over in San Carlos now after many years of Baja and it is just a bit small over here as most of the fishing is a lot further out then is Baja. For Baja its hard to beat. It's 16' 3", centrer console and a 50 hp Merc 4 stoke.

Hook may chime is as well as he and I have fished on my boat a fair amount of times together. He has put her through her paces more then once. About a year ago we were in the SLC tourney is 5-6 seas and she did a great job. On calm days at different times over her life had her out to Tortuga with Pescador, Hook and myself together and on different trips. Pescador, his wife Marika and I ahve had reat times on her out of La Ventana as well. I believe Pescador bought her from someone in Los Barriels if I remember right.

As far as tin boats go Klamath and Gregor are hard to beat. But then again Pescardors Quintrex sure is nice!!!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 10:25 AM
2 engines

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Two engines=twice the drag etc. and double the chance of a mechanical malfunction.:yes:

yes...thats why one sees so many single engine transport aircraft crossing oceans!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 01:34 PM

AcuDoc;
Thanks for the hot tips. We are trying to keep our Horses at/or below 50 as we are tightwads. Are you talking about the Klamath bayrunner models?
It does seem to be a buyers market for boats as Craigslist has 30 new boats listed daily! We intend on having something to take down in November.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.