BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Govt Issued Discount Card for Seniors?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:09 AM

CaboRon
what insensitive remarks? this is just my opinion and nothing more. I am sorry you are so poor, but as poor as you think you are you have a lot more than most here. why don't you just stand on the corner with your hand out.

when the market gives you the 5 % discount who do you think makes up for it? the lady with the 5 kids and no husband that is standing behind you. and everyone else that doesn't have a card that is who. I think it is real nice that they have this program for those that relay need it but there are always those that abuse these things.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
CaboRon
what insensitive remarks? this is just my opinion and nothing more. I am sorry you are so poor, but as poor as you think you are you have a lot more than most here. why don't you just stand on the corner with your hand out.

when the market gives you the 5 % discount who do you think makes up for it? the lady with the 5 kids and no husband that is standing behind you. and everyone else that doesn't have a card that is who. I think it is real nice that they have this program for those that relay need it but there are always those that abuse these things.

Don't feel sorry for me. And you really don't get it, do you.
This is no different than a free coffee with your meal at Jacks.
I am not a beggar. just someone willing to take advantage of what is offered to me.

And the lady and her kids behind me DO NOT share in Gigantica's profits and loss. The shareholders/owner profits from the enterprise ....

Enjoy your steak !

- CaboRon

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:27 AM

I wouldn't advise buying stake or steak at Gigante. The quality is much better in Costco or any carniceria!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

This is no different than a free coffee with your meal at Jacks.
I am not a beggar. just someone willing to take advantage of what is offered to me.

And the lady and her kids behind me DO NOT share in Gigantica's profits and loss. The shareholders/owner profits from the enterprise ....

Enjoy your steak !

- CaboRon

you are very naive if you don't think that your 5% isn't passed along to the other customers. do you relay think that those big Co.s pay for that out of their profits?:?:

I wish I could retire. some of us have to work for a living.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
I wouldn't advise buying stake or steak at Gigante. The quality is much better in Costco or any carniceria!

That holds true for the Gigante in Anaheim too :lol::lol:

- CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:

I suspect he does get it... :D

A question is whether the discounts granted with this card are some sort of subsidy, government or otherwise. If so, have foreign retirees earned the "right" to take advantage of them?

--Larry

Larry,

You are right... that is the question.

Sign me maybe naive,

-CaboRon

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:57 AM

It is absolutely not a Government subsidy of any kind. These are merchants that have agreed to participate in the program.

You can also get 1/2 off admission to many museums and cultural arts centers. In the US many places have a senior price (movie theatres, airlines, museums, etc)! At Foxploration they give you a discounted ticket if you are a Baja resident. Should we not take advantage of these offered discounts because we don't NEED to? Or maybe after someone has paid full price for their 60+ years on earth they EARNED the discount?

I frequent a shop in Ensenada where every time I go there they mark off a little card I carry in my wallet. After so many visits, I get a discount on the next visit. Should I throw that away, too? Should we never buy anything when it's on sale?

But, really, don't buy the steak at Gigante!

Oh, wait! I just got an email from LL Bean. It includes a $10 discount on my next order for my LOYALTY. I guess I'd better not use that either. Hmmm. Or if I keep saving money by shopping smartly we can help our local rural school buy supplies for the classrooms and teachers.

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by bajabound2005]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Dennis, you gonna explain to me what other posters mean? You're gonna have a lot of work to do. All-inclusive, broad-brush, mean spirited nonsense will get attention every time on this board.

No, not other posters, just Al in this particular case. If you had followed the thread from the start, you would have seen the flow and direction of sentiment. You have entered the thread at a late date and proceeded to pick at the bleached out bones of an archaic post, dragging them out of context to render an edict on a mans moral condition. How pompous can you be. How, in the name of God, did you extrapolate anything homophobic from Al's post?
It seems that attention is your goal and your method of achieving you goal through mean spirited nonsense is one with which you are familiar as you noted above. Your hand is well formed for the infamous broad brush.

By the way, George, I have a question of style. When addressing Al, you speak like a perfumed quasi-poet. When you address me, you speak like a dock hand. Whats up with that?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:24 AM

Well, you're just more manly I guess. The thread goes on. Now you begin to get the other side of the story. What is ignoble about accepting discounts, anywhere, any time? While you're in the explaining mood tell my pompous ass all about it.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

you are very naive if you don't think that your 5% isn't passed along to the other customers. do you relay think that those big Co.s pay for that out of their profits?:?:

I wish I could retire. some of us have to work for a living.

You still don't get it. Gigante, like other large companies, does not look at the books at the end of the day and set the next day's prices based on how much they paid out in discounts. Like advertising, spoilage, theft, employee compensation, etc., etc., the value of the discount is factored into their everyday prices -- it is part of the cost of goods sold. Whether you take advantage of it or not, everybody gets to pay it. If you don't use it, the shareholders of Gigante will thank you. This is business 101.

Perhaps you could more easily afford to retire if you utilized the resources that are offered to you and not worried so much about the social implications of buying a bag of beans. And the last time I looked, there was no stigma to planning to retire.

;D

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by bajamigo]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:30 AM

Are the stores being subsidized by the government for the discounts?
There's a lot we will probably never know.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:32 AM

If the stores or other merchants were being subsidized, wouldn't they ALL participate?

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
It never ceases to amaze me at the people who want something for nothing...and are willing prostitute thier manhood...how low do you really go:lol::lol::lol:

Agree and embarrassed. I know some of these folks live fairly high on the hog and they still want a freebie.

Perhaps if they were living on a thousand pecos a month I would feel differently..........but no American does...........heck even druggies and drunks get $565 an month from SSI and the checks will now be deposited in Mexico so they don't even have to return to Otra Lado once a month for the money.

Al G...Well, color me surprised...I agree with Osprey. First of all, not all of us have a "manhood" to prostitute. Secondly, prostitution has historically been sexual favors in return for monetary or other tangible reward. Could you please explain how a senior citizen of any nationality making use of a benefit offered by a governmental agency & the merchants and/or service providers who choose to participate, is "something for nothing" and specifically what is "low" about it? It's NOT welfare, it's a senior discount, the same exact type of senior discount that's offered for seniors by many U.S. companies. It's a sign of respect for age & an acknowledgment of; in the majority of cases; a dramatically reduced income. The majority of Gringos DO contribute to the Mexican economy at a much greater monetary rate than the majority of Mexican senior citizens are able to, so how do you view senior discounts as "something for nothing"? Are you trying to imply that you don't take advantage of senior discounts which are offered to you in the U.S.??

Bernie...Why on earth would you be embarrassed to make use of a discount program offered by merchants who chose to participate knowing that qualifying seniors of any nationality could make use of a benefit offered based primarily on the number of years of life?? Me thinks you maybe forgot about a certain age group...Not all "old farts" are created equally; some of us haven't yet made it to the age of collecting Social Security. And it's true that we don't live on $1,000 pesos a month, however I know there are many of us for do live on $9,000-10,000 pesos a month. Not all of us live "high on the hog", some of us happen to fall closer to "hoof" level.;D I fall into the not old enough for senior discount, but too young for SS category, and I doubt that I'm alone. I also think it's important to realize that there are a lot of us who might possibly be in a position of having taken the lemons life has tossed at us & setting up a lemonade stand in a place where we could AFFORD to...not all of us who are retired made it to "retirement" of our own free will, many of us were outsourced, laid off, or otherwise non-voluntarily relieved of our earning capabilities at an age where hitting the streets looking for gainful employment anywhere near our former salary simply wasn't a viable option. Now...ya gonna buy a glass of lemonade or not...gimme your senior discount card & I'll add a little sugar to the glass just for you!;)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, you're just more manly I guess. The thread goes on. Now you begin to get the other side of the story. What is ignoble about accepting discounts, anywhere, any time? While you're in the explaining mood tell my pompous burro all about it.

Can't do that. I don't know any more than you or anybody above really knows about the structure of this thing.
I do know, however, that neither the Mexican government nor business in Mexico is known for their grandiose generosity.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Well, you're just more manly I guess. The thread goes on. Now you begin to get the other side of the story. What is ignoble about accepting discounts, anywhere, any time? While you're in the explaining mood tell my pompous burro all about it.

Can't do that. I don't know any more than you or anybody above really knows about the structure of this thing.
I do know, however, that neither the Mexican government nor business in Mexico is known for their grandiose generosity.

I just have to step in here and say that, in many cultures there is a sociatal (sic) respect for persons in their third age.

- CaboRon

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
If the stores or other merchants were being subsidized, wouldn't they ALL participate?

Depends on who has the strongest lobby, I would imagine. Maybe the option isn't available to everybody.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
It never ceases to amaze me at the people who want something for nothing...and are willing prostitute thier manhood...how low do you really go:lol::lol::lol:

Agree and embarrassed. I know some of these folks live fairly high on the hog and they still want a freebie.

Perhaps if they were living on a thousand pecos a month I would feel differently..........but no American does...........heck even druggies and drunks get $565 an month from SSI and the checks will now be deposited in Mexico so they don't even have to return to Otra Lado once a month for the money.

Al G...Well, color me surprised...I agree with Osprey. First of all, not all of us have a "manhood" to prostitute. Secondly, prostitution has historically been sexual favors in return for monetary or other tangible reward. Could you please explain how a senior citizen of any nationality making use of a benefit offered by a governmental agency & the merchants and/or service providers who choose to participate, is "something for nothing" and specifically what is "low" about it? It's NOT welfare, it's a senior discount, the same exact type of senior discount that's offered for seniors by many U.S. companies. It's a sign of respect for age & an acknowledgment of; in the majority of cases; a dramatically reduced income. The majority of Gringos DO contribute to the Mexican economy at a much greater monetary rate than the majority of Mexican senior citizens are able to, so how do you view senior discounts as "something for nothing"? Are you trying to imply that you don't take advantage of senior discounts which are offered to you in the U.S.??

Bernie...Why on earth would you be embarrassed to make use of a discount program offered by merchants who chose to participate knowing that qualifying seniors of any nationality could make use of a benefit offered based primarily on the number of years of life?? Me thinks you maybe forgot about a certain age group...Not all "old farts" are created equally; some of us haven't yet made it to the age of collecting Social Security. And it's true that we don't live on $1,000 pesos a month, however I know there are many of us for do live on $9,000-10,000 pesos a month. Not all of us live "high on the hog", some of us happen to fall closer to "hoof" level.;D I fall into the not old enough for senior discount, but too young for SS category, and I doubt that I'm alone. I also think it's important to realize that there are a lot of us who might possibly be in a position of having taken the lemons life has tossed at us & setting up a lemonade stand in a place where we could AFFORD to...not all of us who are retired made it to "retirement" of our own free will, many of us were outsourced, laid off, or otherwise non-voluntarily relieved of our earning capabilities at an age where hitting the streets looking for gainful employment anywhere near our former salary simply wasn't a viable option. Now...ya gonna buy a glass of lemonade or not...gimme your senior discount card & I'll add a little sugar to the glass just for you!;)

I have to go out and support my this AM...be sure and check back as I do have a few words for you...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 08:59 AM

Quote:

I just have to step in here and say that, in many cultures there is a sociatal (sic) respect for persons in their third age.

Societal respect is motivated by a different bottom line than business.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 09:17 AM

Dennis, shouldn't you be putting the insulation in?

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Societal respect is motivated by a different bottom line than business.

Yes it is motivated by LOVE rather than GREED .

- CaboRon

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.