they're statring to line up already:lol::lol::lol:

mcd.jpg - 22kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 06:44 AM

and on another but lighter note............we have a celebration for Mrs. Espinoza, her 100 years b day, at the Sams internacional seminar and convention oct 19-21 in Ensenada, at the Estero Beach Hotel. I can't wait!! beach front hot jacuzzis and guad valle vin chugging.

...........the hotel is supplying the food.

Hey Bob - what's with that weather??!! never that cool this time of year. what's the "heat index" calc with humidity factored? that's the only number that can tell me anything useful. But it sounds nicer than this infernal phx heat!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 08:27 AM

capt. just got a weather station. 87º - 76% heat index 99º @ 9:30
had 1/10" of rain this morning.
--- Oh, wind 5mph SE

[Edited on 8-21-2007 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 11:32 AM

I agree with David---Tacos La Mision is a fine place to eat in El Rosario. Just taqueria fare, but well prepared food.

The owner, Hugo, is from Nayarit and a very good artist with work on display in the taqueria.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 8-21-2007 at 07:51 PM
great Russ, thx!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
capt. just got a weather station. 87º - 76% heat index 99º @ 9:30
had 1/10" of rain this morning.
--- Oh, wind 5mph SE

[Edited on 8-21-2007 by Russ]

i figured as much...99 by 9:30 is fricken hot man.

we've been mid 100s but humidity 30% max and dew points 50 degrees. about the same i guess.

i got 1/2 a mind to get down there anyway next week sometime............problem is i got 1/2 a mind..............:cool:

so look out Frambes - maybe i'll see you guys. nuttin definite tho.

Cabo boys will be about tho.........that might be the ticket.:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 09:21 PM

Is this the same lady who said, “Bad roads, good people, good roads, bad people.” It seems that many of us eulogized her before her time for those very words. And now many of us condemn her because of the price of tacos her kids sell to people traveling that good road. Hummmmmmmm!

Just an observation and no I would not pay that kind of money for tacos but I might to just sit in that place and dream of what was so long ago.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Is this the same lady who said, “Bad roads, good people, good roads, bad people.” It seems that many of us eulogized her before her time for those very words. And now many of us condemn her because of the price of tacos her kids sell to people traveling that good road. Hummmmmmmm!

Just an observation and no I would not pay that kind of money for tacos but I might to just sit in that place and dream of what was so long ago.

I wonder if you would do that. I was there in 1970 and it was great, but sitting there now has nothing to do with that; I thought it might. which is why we went there. Now, it is a tourist trap----you really want to have your memories in a tourist trap?

It would be a little like going to Walls Drug Store in South Dakota today and try to remember when----just doesn't work.

John

[Edited on 8-22-2007 by jdtrotter]

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 09:59 PM

I hear you Bernie.
But... you know... jeez man... sometimes you can't go back.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 10:38 PM
JD

I look at the 'hands' and believe you missed my point.

In spite of what a few think am not anchored in the past nor am I an old fool who resists all change. I do, however, look to see who is really causing the changes that I find more and more of us seem be be questioning.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 11:01 PM

Call a spade a spade. I have been to Mama Espinozas in the
seventies after hearing about what a great stop it was from the late Tom Miller. Back then he was right. Mama ran a tight
ship and being just about the only game in town ,still served
great food at a fair price. As more tourist came down the road in later years things began to change. In the early
eighties I took my mom and dad for a road trip to Cabo and back. I insisted on stoping at Mamas so that my folks could experience that legendary cooking and hospitality that I had
previously experienced. Upon arrival things were terribly amiss. There had been a huge flood previously that just about floated the whole place a way in a sea of mud. A lot of
Mamas signed guest books suffered water damage.
The service was bad, the food, Lobster tacos was not good
at all. when it came to pay mama made up a price according to what she thought we should pay. We had no menus.
The price was quite high and my father felt that we were being fleeced. Mama said something about most of the proceeds going to the needy of the area. Well ever since then I have never had a decent meal there. In the old days it was great. And Mama has done a lot for the
more unfortunate people there. Some times things change and sometimes not for the better. I like nostalgia,
but if a place is not up to snuff anymore, and is living off its reputation, it is best to just go somewhere else.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
I do, however, look to see who is really causing the changes that I find more and more of us seem be be questioning.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I have been coming to the Baja since the mid '60's. Sure I have seen a lot of changes in some places. But it is not fair to blame the bad food at Mama's on the newcomers. Mama's food is bad because the people who are running it now have gotten lazy, greedy, and have lost the vision. There are still hundreds of little holes in the wall in the Baja that serve wonderful food that is not more expensive than in the States. The owners are friendly, helpful, and grateful for the business.

I welcome the newcomers. One of them is my daughter who drove with us from la frontera down to Los Cabos earlier this month for the first time. It was fun showing her the agricultural areas, the Boojum forest, the Boulder Garden, la Cuesta del Infierno, San Ignacio, Bahia Concepcion, and all the rest. Here mouth is stil agape in wonderment. She said she imagined something totally different - a dry uninteresting desert.

Welcome newcomers of goodwill!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 02:27 PM

I would say to first time visitors to Baja, stop at Mama's take in the ambiance, look at the decals and photos, and say hello to Mama if she's there. If you order a simple breakfast you won't be too overcharged. Once will be enough, and you can say you've been there. :cool:

Some places/experiences are better left to fond memories.:(

We usually eat breakfast on the way down somewhere between Santo Tomas and San Quentin anyway. On the way North we usually spend the night in San Quentin, and there are several places much better that El Rosario can offer, IMHO.

Ken
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 02:36 PM
Breakfast in San Vicinte

We have stopped at this place twice now and will go back. Breakfast for 2 with coffee and/or juice and tip has been about 100 pesos. They have a wide range of items to choose from including fresh smoothies.

Located across the street from the school on the west side of Hwy 1. The name escapes me but I'll look for it...

Zac

San Vicinte Breakfast.JPG - 48kB

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 03:25 PM

Bajaboy, is it by any chance Antojitos El Indio?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

yes, that's the name...great food and wonderful people!

Zac

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 03:27 PM

Quote:

Good catch!!!!!:lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

yes, that's the name...great food and wonderful people!

Zac

Thanks, we usually stop at Valentina's, but sometimes it is really crowded so can be quite slow. We will look for your place to try.

Diane

bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 05:33 PM

Okay. It seems as though everyone agrees that Mama Espinosa's has gone downhill. I love the lobster burrittos that I have consumed there. Where else can I get lobster burrittos?
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 06:27 PM

From my experience it is best to make your own.:bounce:

I have heard so many unpleasant experiences at Mama's over the years I never bothered to stop there.

We did have a good meal a few months back at the little restaurant around the corner next to the bus station. Sini? Not to be confused with the bus taco stand which is pretty good too.:bounce:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.