Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: GULP
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:56 AM

Cypress, baitcast is right. Mostly the target the sardines but this year they just kept setting on any boils. So it appeared they took the pinhead anchove too. Since we are at the mouth of Concepcion Bay they are scooping up all the juvenile fishes along with any thing that happens to be working the boils. Last night I had dinner with a commercial fisherman and he told me there is no protection in this area from inshore trawlers/seiners. He agreed that Bahia Concepcion and the Santa Inez Bay should have some protection. Here is a slide show/movie I made. I have posted it before and was told if you don't have Quick Time installed it wont work.
http://homepage.mac.com/russinbaja/iMovieTheater14.html

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 01:37 PM

Russ Thanks for trying, but my computer is on "slow time". Looks like it's gonna be the same old worn out story.:no: The net boats will, wipe out most everything. When they can't pay for the fuel and all the related costs of operation they'll go out of business. The fish will make a comeback. :yes: Might take a while.:yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 03:31 PM

Did any of you ever know Mike Fong? Whistler, you probably did.

He was a fisherman extraordinair from my part of the world, central california.

He was a baby boomer like most of us who died just a few years back after a very long fishing career. Anyay, he once wrote that he felt that fishfinders was cheating when they came out and it took him a bit of time to get used to them. I can really understand where he was coming from as they give an angler a tremendous advantage that it formerly took experienced fishermen years to get.

Now, it's ho-hum. Everyone uses them. It's part of sportfishing.

Personally, I like challenges but not for their own sake. I love flyfishing mostly because of the sensation of the bend of that long rod. I also like the fact that it relates to entomology. Cause I like bugs.

I never thought of scents as cheating, but I can see your point. Thanks for bringing it up. Food for thought. I'll chew on it for a bit.

P.S. You're right Jim. There are advantages to having kids late in life. They infuse you with the energy that is slowly leaving us. Maybe that's cheating too. I don't know.

[Edited on 8-27-2007 by Skipjack Joe]
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 03:46 PM

I personally do not use any live bait, artificial bait or lures at all :saint:. Lures are completely unnatural and if the fish breaks your line a man made (oh my god) piece of stuff ends up in the ocean. Just think...if every fisherman lost 1 lure, the worlds oceans would probably be 2 feet shallower and could possibly speed up global warming :o. I refuse to use artificail bait (like gulp) because its ummm, well artificail and using science and modern day technolgy wouldnt satisfy my primal urges to catch a fish and using live bait to catch a fish...I guess that just not right either, poor little live baits. The only way to catch a fish (especially if posting about it on this bd) is to use natural, hand spun, horse hair line with a hook carved out of an old piece of bone found laying on the beech. If you cast out (by hand of course) and retrieve it in just the right way the natural action drives the fish (singular of course, as in 1 fish, I wouldnt want to waste) absolutely carazzzy! :P:lol::P

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 04:47 PM

For lures I have seen Mexicans take a piece of cactus and scape it till there was only white threads left and tie it around a hook for a lure. It works.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JonS

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I helped with the landing, Alex resuscitated it, and we both watched it swim off.

Good for you guys!

Noble as catch-and-release sounds, I've always wondered about the real impact on the fish; does anybody have concrete info on chances of survival for a fish that has been traumatized in that way?

--Larry

I have caught fish that have been released before alot. I've removed hooks and lures from fish that must have broken off. Also I lost a fish at my kayak due to it biting through the wire. It ws a large 5/0 texposer hook on a plastic worm. I put wire on and the same lure and fished the same spot and the next hookup was the same fish with my hook in the corner of its mouth. So releasing fish does work.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 07:44 AM

The mortality rate is higher for fish with swim bladders caught in deep water and released on the surface. You can rig a quick-release contraption which will release them in deeper water where the pressure forces the bladder back into place.:D:tumble:
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

puzzled.gif posted on 9-3-2007 at 12:22 PM
Round Hooks

:?: Could someone explain the term "roundhooks" :?:

Thanks,

CaboRon

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 12:32 PM

CaboRon. Circle hooks would be the more common term. They'll hook a fish in the corner of the mouth rather than the gut.:yes:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
:?: Could someone explain the term "roundhooks" :?:

Thanks,

CaboRon

Someone's term for circle hooks.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 01:47 PM

Thanks for the explainaiton...... never have fished and released.... only fished and eaten.... guess i won't be using circle hooks.
Guess it's a nice idea if you aren't hunting for dinner.

- CaboRon

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explainaiton...... never have fished and released.... only fished and eaten.... guess i won't be using circle hooks.

- CaboRon

Releasing isn't the only advantage of circle hooks. Fish hooked in the corner of the mouth are far less likely to cut or fray the line with their teeth. Also, the corner of the mouth is a very secure place to hook and hold a fish.

Also, there are some fishermen who will not eat any fish they catch, prefering to release SOME fish as safely as possible, because the size or species may not be what they are targeting for dinner. If you are fishing offshore for dorado, you may wish to release an inadvertantly hooked billfish, or a dorado that is larger or smaller than you desire. Inshore, you may wish to release an inadvertantly caught jack or roosterfish, or a puffer.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explainaiton...... never have fished and released.... only fished and eaten....

- CaboRon

Sometimes you have to fish and release.....
I got this one last year:

and his even smaller sibling this year...Heck, my lure was bigger than he was :lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-4-2007 by Taco de Baja]

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 04:51 PM

A small fish for a small lady ...

Mine decided to see just how sharp those halibut teeth get. It was not a good idea.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:

- CaboRon

Releasing isn't the only advantage of circle hooks. Fish hooked in the corner of the mouth are far less likely to cut or fray the line with their teeth. Also, the corner of the mouth is a very secure place to hook and hold a fish.

Also, there are some fishermen who will not eat any fish they catch, prefering to release SOME fish as safely as possible, because the size or species may not be what they are targeting for dinner. If you are fishing offshore for dorado, you may wish to release an inadvertantly hooked billfish, or a dorado that is larger or smaller than you desire. Inshore, you may wish to release an inadvertantly caught jack or roosterfish, or a puffer.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your comments

CaboRon

I've got a tackle box full of snell hookes :(

Just checked the wal-mart and they don't have anything labeled circle hooks. They do however have Gulp .!:wow:

[Edited on 9-5-2007 by CaboRon]

JonS

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 12:53 PM

As Don said circle hooks are easy to use as most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. Also since the fish hook themselves I find that my hookup ratio is much higher.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Just checked the wal-mart and they don't have anything labeled circle hooks.

Guess you'll just have to go shopping online !! :biggrin:
I love any excuse to buy fishing gear !

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 02:22 PM

A perfect example for why to use circle hooks happens once in awhile around here. For 3 weeks or so there was a nice tuna hole just offshore producing lots of everything including lots of little girl dorado caught on sardines. I think, once they swallow it, the angler cuts the line to release it, the fish probably dies. Dorado have a wide plate in the mouth so circle hooks have to make their way behind the plate to work to the corners of the mouth to be effective -- here it gets complicated because you don't normally "set" circle hooks like you do J hooks. They were killing literally hundreds of junior dorado every day around here while using J hooks.
JonS

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 05:22 AM

Back in '04 I did a week trip kayak fishing out of Hotel Colorado. I used 2/0 circle hooks exclusively. I caught lots of Dorado, yellowfin, skippies and a sailfish. All were hooked in the corner of the mouth. I use circles a lot. Eagle claw or gamakatsu.

Circle hooks have been around a long time. I was first introduced to them by Norn Tanaguichi in the mid 80s when I lived in San Diego. He said it's what the long liners used. I still have a box of those long line circles as I've never used them. They were very large and thick.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-27-2009 at 06:15 PM
Fishing

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Cypress, baitcast is right. Mostly the target the sardines but this year they just kept setting on any boils. So it appeared they took the pinhead anchove too. Since we are at the mouth of Concepcion Bay they are scooping up all the juvenile fishes along with any thing that happens to be working the boils. Last night I had dinner with a commercial fisherman and he told me there is no protection in this area from inshore trawlers/seiners. He agreed that Bahia Concepcion and the Santa Inez Bay should have some protection. Here is a slide show/movie I made. I have posted it before and was told if you don't have Quick Time installed it wont work.
http://homepage.mac.com/russinbaja/iMovieTheater14.html

Thanks Russ, pretty chilling to watch and consider the impact
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.