Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: Riding a bicycle down Baja
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:35 AM

I have to agree with you all who say that the bicycle rider has the same rights to the road as anyone else.
However, if this right is in any way challenged, you'll end up with the biker, even if he's in the right, "deadright". Not much recourse here.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
People have the right to put themselves in danger if that's their desire. However they have no right to endanger the lives of others. On the majority of this road there is no room for him to get out of the way of others. If he wants to accomplish a real feat he needs to do it off the pavement. I am astonished at the selfishness of his act. Sorry folks, I'm not impressed.

Seems to me the selfish individual is the one who thinks their auto has more right to the road than another legal vehicle.
Bikes have as much right to use a road as autos do. Autos just need to slow down when they see a slow vehicle and only pass when safe. You should not pass a bicyclist or any slow moving vehicle when another vehicle is heading toward you.
Will it really inconvenience you to slow down and wait to pass the bike when it is safe to do so?
What's your rush?

It's not that he is being selfish in using a public highway... its simply that he is going to hurt someone else who comes upon him on a curve... he is so small and isn't seen until too late, the car swerves to avoid him and gets hit head-on by a vehicle in the other lane or goes over a cliff... How many will die or have their trip ruined because somebody has something to prove by riding a bike on a highway that just doesn't have room...? I mean, can't you see the photos? There is no shoulder on Hwy. 1 between San Quintin and Santa Rosalia. Hopefully, when he hears a car approaching, he will pull off the pavement or hug the cliff.

Blame the Mexican budget cutters who designed the thing to be made as cheaply as possible, back in 1973... and promissed to widden it in the 'near future'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 01:24 PM

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 01:44 PM

So what I hear is this: When driving Mex 1 always slow to a safe speed to avoid hazards such as bicycles that may be up ahead.

That's classic. So we are supposed to be ready for a bike in the middle of the road on a blind turn 200 miles from nowhere. I'm trying to be rational understanding but it escapes me.
How in the world can you expect us to slow down to 20 mph or less on EVERY turn. How ludicrous.
Bikes do not belong on that road, period. I certainly wouldn't want to run one over.....no matter who was at fault. It is a judgement call on the bikers behalf not the truck or auto driver.

btw, You should see our narrow crappy roads here with no berm. I see very few cyclists on them.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 03:02 PM

"a bike is a vehicle and has just as much right to the lane as a car does"
Since when? Exactly what are the laws regarding bicycle travel on Mexican highways? And assuming arguendo that a "bike" is a vehicle - then is an ice-cream cart a vehicle? A horse-drawn carriage (as I saw en route to Copper Canyon once)? Is a bicycle "street legal" as that criteria applies to motorbikes? Was Mex. 1 built for automobiles? Is Mex. 1 also a bike lane too then? Who has right of way - an auto or a bicycle? Who yields to whom? Obviously there isn't a dedicated bike lane, so the lane must be shared. And the cyclist, going 10 mph is a hazard to an automobile going 50 mph - the same as any other "vehicle" which is going slower than the majority of the traffic. Thus, the cyclist is a hazard. The bicyclist usually has the attitude "they can just watch out for me and go around." Pretty self-centered. Yes, we all know the risks, and a cyclist on the side of the road is one more risk of hazardous conditions to watch for, in addition to the coyotes, cows, goats, autos with flat tires, rocks, fallen objects, etc. The cyclist is a nuisance and a hazard and has no "right" to travel down the middle of Mex. 1 obstructing traffic (as I also experienced a few years ago). Or they ride 2 or 3 abreast chatting, pretty much uncaring as to how much space they take up in the lane. Simply irresponsible given the driving conditions. Another time, I saw a cyclist off the shoulder walking his bike in the dirt, with a crazed look on his face, like he desparately wanted somebody to get him out of his predicament. These people don't have anything better to do with their time?
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 04:13 PM

Pedal power has right of way over motor power pedestrians have right of way over pedal power If a bike is in front of you in the lane you must slow down and go around it when safe the bike has no obligation to move over to let you pass Problem is all you drivers that think he has to move out of your way will run him over because you think he shouldnt be there
DAND
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 04:22 PM

He can bike down the middle of I-5 if he wants.:biggrin: He can do anything he wants with his bike.:tumble: I have a suggestion or two.:biggrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 05:00 PM

Suicide is a personal decision.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
So what I hear is this: When driving Mex 1 always slow to a safe speed to avoid hazards such as bicycles that may be up ahead.

That's classic. So we are supposed to be ready for a bike in the middle of the road on a blind turn 200 miles from nowhere. I'm trying to be rational understanding but it escapes me.
How in the world can you expect us to slow down to 20 mph or less on EVERY turn. How ludicrous.
Bikes do not belong on that road, period. I certainly wouldn't want to run one over.....no matter who was at fault. It is a judgment call on the bikers behalf not the truck or auto driver.

btw, You should see our narrow crappy roads here with no berm. I see very few cyclists on them.

Cows don't belong on the road either. But they often are, even 200 miles from "nowhere". If you choose to drive too fast for the conditions, that is a personal decision. Don't blame the cow for putting you in danger.

All being said. I'd never ride a bike on Hwy 1, either. But people (locals included) have every right to do so, and not to be berated because of it.

The speed limit on most of the highway is 60 - 80 KPH. Something like 37 to 50 MPH. If you want to take a blind turn at 90MPH I can't stop you. But, I'm going to find fault your logic if you put much blame on anyone but yourself if you get into a wreck because you were unable to stop or slow in time for a hazard ahead of you.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Suicide is a personal decision.

Well said. In car, boat, or bike.

I often drive way over the speed limit and in both lanes in long straight sections when I have good forward visibility. However; when I can't see far ahead as I approach a vado or turn, I slow down and return to my lane. I also slow down for any oncoming traffic. Look miles ahead and count oncoming cars on mountain turns.

I drive safe. I got an A in Driver Ed, and aced my driver tests for autos, CDL, and motorcycles, when I was much younger. It's not rocket science, it's called driving safely, knowing the limits of the machine you are operating, and respecting other peoples right of way.

Last time I drove down and back on Hwy 1 I passed a total of 3 bike riders on the road. I came upon them on a blind turn between LA Bay and Guerrero Negro and I had to slow down (quickly) for all of one or two minutes until I could pass safely. I also passed about 5 cows and a few dogs standing in the road. Big deal! Hwy 1 is a breeze compared to many roads in Mexico. In Mexico you better be ready for the road to end around the next corner; because, sometimes it does.

BTW - BMG's friend has a really cool bike, and it would be great for dirt roads! That's what I would recommend. I wish him luck.

Slow down and enjoy life. Park, then enjoy a cold one.

Also, I hope everyone has fun explaining their logic to cows, rocks, extra wide trucks, and old ladies crossing the road... I'm going to put this thread in park and enjoy a cold one.

Tomorrow I'm going for a bike ride, so watch out world...

:lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:19 PM

Judy,

Thanks for that picture---says it all

Diane

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 10:38 PM
How much money do you have to bet Gibson

and what the hell does a fat person have to do with not wanting to compete with bikes on a 20ft wide major hiway?

Quote:

What's the bet all the whiners here look like the David K guy in profile.

I understand the rights of ALL travelers. They should ALL think about putting ALL the other vehicles headed north and south at risk for their own pleasure. I don't think the average traveler in Baja puts nearly that much risk on the road as a cyclist does.

Maybe cows are in the road but is it because they don't understand the word "dangerous"? No it's because they are stupid animals.

[Edited on 1-18-2008 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 11:50 PM

As I said before the bicycle has the right to be there and does not have to move over to the side of the road like some of you seem to think, when ever a car comes up from behind the car has to slow down and wait for a safe oppertunity to pass just like it would for any other slow vehicle on the road . OH HOW INCONVENIENT
And Yeah!!! a bike is a vehicle
From Wikipedia
The bicycle , bike , or cycle , is a pedal-driven , human-powered vehicle

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle

In the US there are signs posted saying no bicycles or pedestrians on the freeways like I 5 but most hwys its OK to ride a bike. Its not legal to ride side by side in the same lane with another bike.
Hwy 1 from San Fran to San louis obisbo has some streches that are pretty dangerious for cycliest the difference is if you are run over by a car, help will come a lot quicker
In the middle of nowhere in Baja help may never come
It may be stupid to ride a bicycle down Baja but if you are dumb enough to run one over you are at fault not them.
Get over it.
DAND
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 12:09 AM

And here we go again. Whats up with you gibson? Read and try to understand what the people are trying to say here. No shoulder, blind curves, deep cliff drop-offs. My family has been put in harms way because of bike riders in the past on certain dangerous parts of the Hwy1 and just because of the fact that there was NO shoulder or way to see the upcoming bicyclist.A vehichle moves along with the flow of traffic or at a safe speed,and all of a sudden, in the middle of BFE, along the edge of a cliff, no lights, warning or anything,blind curve, here is a slow moving , going uphill, person on a bike.Now, you are traveling at the speed of say, 35mph, and all of a sudden, you round the curve, a Semi is heading right your way!! Go do the math.remember, NO shoulder.:o

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 12:22 AM

I don't think we are arguing over whether or not a cycle has road rights. It's mainly about some foolish person who wants to ride the road regardless of how dangerous it is to himself and others.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I don't think we are arguing over whether or not a cycle has road rights. It's mainly about some foolish person who wants to ride the road regardless of how dangerous it is to himself and others.

It is about how people, who are upset that someone else's reality may require them to face the reality of their own recklessness, are unwilling to respect other peoples rights and share the road with bikes.
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
[It is about how people, who are upset that someone else's reality may require them to face the reality of their own recklessness, are unwilling to respect other peoples rights and share the road with bikes.

thanx for being able to articulate this so much better (and less offensively) than moi. :spingrin:
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Get a grip!

Diane

P.S. And if you are really in the bicyle industry, why don't you try helping some of the Baja bike teams --- there are some great teams, like our Mountain Bike Team in Bahia Asuncion----great people and dedicated riders.
[Edited on 1-18-2008 by jdtrotter]

thanx for the offer ... of all the international assistance we supplied for teams worldwide, probably had the most fun with the mexican kids and our distributor outta Hermosilla (sp). fun days!!

[Edited on 1-18-2008 by BajaNomad]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:25 AM

I still fantasize, if the government ever improves the main highway, they should put in a separate bike path paralleling the highway--call it the bicycletta nautica:lol:

Might draw a lot of bicyclists in to "do the peninsula" and they'd have to buy supplies the whole way. Would really be a cool way to experience Baja.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I still fantasize, if the government ever improves the main highway, they should put in a separate bike path paralleling the highway--call it the bicycletta nautica:lol:

Might draw a lot of bicyclists in to "do the peninsula" and they'd have to buy supplies the whole way. Would really be a cool way to experience Baja.

That is a great idea. :yes::yes:

However, how long do you think that bike path would remain a bike path and not be turned into an alternative road, or a place to pass another vehicle if it was next to the highway?

Diane

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

That is a great idea. :yes::yes:

However, how long do you think that bike path would remain a bike path and not be turned into an alternative road, or a place to pass another vehicle if it was next to the highway?

Diane

Diane,
The Mexicans will solve that problem with some stratigically placed "TOPES" of some "EXTRA" height.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.