Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Fishing on the Baja!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Great photos EMAM... Good explanation...No need to defend yourself any further!

I totally agree. Great photos! Well done and I appreciate your heart-felt thoughts on sustaining our gamefish stocks. As with all true sportsfishermen and concerned people world-wide, I can see that your first thoughts in this case are for the marine environment and it's creatures. It follows that your concerns extend to land environments as well.

Your photos are top rate, brilliant, and hopefully you will post many more here. Gracias for the pleasure.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 11:36 AM
EMAM, guilty by association

Thank you for the explanation. Ya know, some people are very serious about keeping or releasing a fish that they have waited their whole lives to catch. I can understand that, but I feel duty trumps in the case of endangered species.
I also understand the problem with longliners and Norma 029. It's tragic to say the least.

It's such a shame that the govt in Mex can't administer laws with an even hand. It opens the wrong doors in the wrong places.

I was a bit abrupt and rather steamed to see that type of fishing. It struck a real nerve. Good on you for understanding.
I suppose there will always be a greedy sportsmen or two around. In Mexico can you donate your fish to a school. In one way I think it's wonderful tho in another way it could be a scary thang.:wow:

btw. the photos you take are amazing
:coolup:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
As for the taking of fish to feed the school kids...that's a noble thought. But the thought of mako and marlin as school lunch is a bit foolish. Why not donate the cost of the charter boat to the school and be done with it? Those hundreds of dollars would buy a lot of non-threatened lunch. ;)

I agree with this opinion strongly.

Perhaps it's a time-honored way that the people of baja have used to help the needy in their community and minds have already been set on this matter. Gringos and their fancy conservation ideas are not welcome. "It's our land, our fish, and we will do with them as we please".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
As for the taking of fish to feed the school kids...that's a noble thought. But the thought of mako and marlin as school lunch is a bit foolish. Why not donate the cost of the charter boat to the school and be done with it? Those hundreds of dollars would buy a lot of non-threatened lunch. ;)

Perhaps it's a time-honored way that the people of baja have used to help the needy in their community and minds have already been set on this matter. Gringos and their fancy conservation ideas are not welcome. "It's our land, our fish, and we will do with them as we please".

You are going to just love Graham's new book... about the poachers (fishermen) on Guardian Angel Island and what they do to their own land/ sea... :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Therein lies the problem, are they really their fish? Did you see the tracking info posted earlier?

I assume what you mean is, that fish, shark, whales etc. belong to whoever owns/controls the sea.

That is the biggest problem isn't it, some care while others don't.

I seriously doubt that kids get a less nutritious school lunch in Mexico than in the US. I'd like to see REAL fish served at our schools, not some breaded frozen then fried thang.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
EMAM
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 01:00 PM

In Defence of the guy that originally chartered the boat, and donated the fish, he told me that each year he donates around $5000 in funds he raises back home in the states to this school.

He also told me that he works for Pepsi Co. and they double what ever he can raise throughout the year. So this year he donated around $15,000 to the school!! That is very admirable in my mind.

But he said that it still goes for much needed supplies, and the food is just a help to make sure the kids are eating well. When we come down next year, as we plan to, we will stop and pick up many supplies before we come down to donate to a few various schools along the way.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
Wandering around North America in search of that Next Beautiful Scene
http://www.everymilesamemory.com
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 01:22 PM
Pepsi Co executive

That figures. A real philanthropist eh? Yes, I'm sure he has lots to say about Mexico. Still isn't right imho.

He does seem to have garnered some friends here though.:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Therein lies the problem, are they really their fish? Did you see the tracking info posted earlier?

I suppose that's true with pelagics.

I don't know what the limit is on albacore these days, but let's say you catch one more than your limit and the game warden fines you $150 for the infraction. I'm sure my thought would be about the same school making it's way across the pond in about 3 months to Japan waters and being worked over by the commercials like there's no tomorrow. Seems unjust and senseless.

I think it's called "rowing with one oar" :lol:. We're not moving forward. We're going in circles.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 02:04 PM
albacore and salmon

The same scenario, Igor. The commercial fishermen of US and Canada are allowed so many salmon, as are the sportsfishermen. Almost to a man, they obey stringent laws and limits.

Then the Japanese, Korean, and many other nations wait for those US and Canadian born 'products' to swim thier way into the gillnets at sea that will soon decimate them.

That salmon on your cafe plate might be one of ours...or one of thiers. This photo is from one of the USA's top salmon areas...Naknek, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Sockeyes...reds.

- 0 0 aanaknekalaska.jpg - 48kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rts551
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 4-4-2008 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I seriously doubt that kids get a less nutritious school lunch in Mexico than in the US.

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:
Come on Sharks. Don't ruin your credibility. At least not where I live unless they bring it from home.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 06:22 PM

Well lets see....the Mexican Government sets its bag limits on what and how many fish you can catch. Im assuming they put some thought behind it. If they want to do something to protect their resource then I'd reluctantly (it's none of business however) suggest they do something about the commercial fishing and its waste.
Nothing and I mean nothing the sports fishermen will do will be the cause of screwing up the resource.

I'm a son of a 30 year Game Warden and born and raised conservationist. My dad approves this message.

Nice pictures
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:

I seriously doubt that kids get a less nutritious school lunch in Mexico than in the US.

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:
Come on Sharks. Don't ruin your credibility. At least not where I live unless they bring it from home.

Ok, I admit, I was exaggerating. I really can't say I know what they serve/eat but I doubt it's bad for you. Can you share what you know.
Seriously, the food served in the majority of US schools is high in fats, high fructose corn syrup and whatnot. It's overprocessed and designed to last. My kids won't eat it.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 09:24 AM

pomp, i prefer MY salmon pic to YOUR salmon pic...esthetically, i mean

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin
Im assuming they put some thought behind it.

Really. I guess you're not too familiar with how this type of thing is done in Mexico.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 06:52 PM

Yeah, but this is a stupid justification for killing marlin and Sharks. If you want a tasty fish to give to the school kids go catch a batch of trigger fish or bottom fish which are thick and less susceptible to being destroyed. I am a yellowtail fisherman and I do bring some fish back to give to my friends but make no mistake, if I want to feed a crowd of people or have a fish fry at my house, I always go out and catch a batch of baybass which are tastier and very prolific. So for the most part we justify our actions of catching very sporting fish and then follow up with a mealy justification of, I gave it to the kids at school. Give them something that tastes better than mako or marlin.
kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 07:03 PM

Good group of people to fish with! I was there in December, and had the opportunity to fish on both the Awesome and the Too Awesome. We did keep the Sierra we caught and they were mighty tasty!

I will be going back down to the East Cape RV resort this fall, and parking my Father-in law there on a permanent site. Tell Threasa, Congo and Iraki that Jerry, Diana, and Ron said hi:D
EMAM
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 04:32 AM

Hey Kodiak, isnt that place amazing!

Of all the RV Parks we've stayed in the Baja, that has to be the nicest and run by two of the nicest people we've met.

Our only problem is, with our limited budget, we cant afford to stay in too many RV Parks. We had to leave to head back to a beach where it's free;D

That's why we paid all this money for solar panels and big batteries:light:

We'll be back though next year for sure to East Cape

Pat & Cindy Bonish
Wandering around North America in search of that Next Beautiful Scene
http://www.everymilesamemory.com
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 12:15 PM

Geez, I cant believe all the bantering over a guy catching and keeping a few fish. Just about every single time someone posts something about catching fish here they get attacked. I dont see what the problem is with people fishing within the limits of the law. While it might be un-popular with some to keep a marlin or a shark, it is legal. The experts set the catch and take limits to protect the resources and most sportfihermen practice catch and release especially with marlin, no big deal if one gets eaten occationally. Sport fishing within the limits of the law poses absolutely no threat to any species. Makos are even considered a game fish and are great table fare. There is even a fairly big Mako tournement every year in southern California...whats all the fuss about?

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 12:34 PM

Ignorance!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
quote]Originally posted by bajabum
Geez, I cant believe all the bantering over a guy catching and keeping a few fish. Just about every single time someone posts something about catching fish here they get attacked. I dont see what the problem is with people fishing within the limits of the law. While it might be un-popular with some to keep a marlin or a shark, it is legal. The experts set the catch and take limits to protect the resources and most sportfihermen practice catch and release especially with marlin, no big deal if one gets eaten occationally. Sport fishing within the limits of the law poses absolutely no threat to any species. Makos are even considered a game fish and are great table fare. There is even a fairly big Mako tournement every year in southern California...whats all the fuss about?

Mexico's sport regulations seem lacking in expertise, and Mexico seems virtually incapable of timely reviews and revisions, necessary components of expert fisheries management. Legal limits (5 fish) of some slow growing reef species will allow their demise, and in some regions where they are already rare, will prevent their return. Odd that dorado, perhaps the fastest growing and shortest lived of the major game fishes, receives more protection than broomtail grouper, black seabass, gulf grouper, or cabrilla (genuine cabrilla, as opposed to leopard grouper).

The poster took only photos, and he has posted wonderful photos on this and other threads.

Catch and release of marlin has been important in maintaining the availability of these fish for the sport fisherman, and for the businesses that they support. The popularity of this catch and release ethic owes nothing to the government fisheries people, but a great deal to the resorts and captains in places like Los Cabos and the East Cape. These are the true experts here. Apparently the angler who killed these fish did so against the express wishes of the local experts he hired to take him fishing. Bad form, imo. And as for "keeping the fish to feed school children" the economics of that is so patently absurd that I frankly do not believe that was a motive for killing the fish.

While I don't get bent out of shape over every sport fisherman who may kill a marlin, when a regular, experienced angler chooses to kill one against the advice of the locals he fishes with, I'm going to side with his critics.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.