Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: B1K 2008
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 07:48 AM

There is a pretty good description by PCI of the course on race-dezert.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 09:18 AM

Thanks Jim that was a good description.

So far SCORE has 355 entries. Considering the economy I think that's pretty good. 30 solo bikes and ATVs. 2 sidecar bikes. I don't know about riding in a sidecar. Can you imagine going down the La Rumorosa grade in a sidecar? Yikes!!! that would scare the crap out of me. Talk about an E ticket ride.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Remember it was friends bringing a McMillin trailer back to San Diego after the start of the '07 Baja 1000 who were kidnapped north of Rosarito, threatened, and made to walk away from their truck and possesions in exchange for their lives.

There was quite an exchange here about the shabby treatment they got when the police dumped them off at the U.S. border by our agents.

Andy McMillin, co-driving with Robby Gordon won the Baja 1000, so it will be interesting to see if the McMillins boycott the race.

There is a thread on race dezert where Andy confirms they will not be back to Baja, at least for the forseeable future. Sorry I didn't search a link :yawn:

Our crew will be on the 2 way course near Borrego running a double pit this year. Approx RM 280 and 400. Should be very busy and forget about any sleep for a couple of days with the crowds. Stop by and say howdy if you can find us in the dust cloud.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 08:25 AM

Racers and crews take note of the racer wounded under the Baja News topic on this board. It would be wise to not carry any more than you really need on your person while pre-running. Be very careful and think smart if confronted by an armed person. Probably best to prerun in groups.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 08:47 AM

Just isn't as much fun when racers, fans, support personal are TARGETS!

This will be the second 1000 we have taken vacation time off for that will see us touring in the USA, instead!

Really sad for the locals who so look forward to the business and fun the races bring to Baja... that so many will not be going to the 1000 who normally would!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Remember it was friends bringing a McMillin trailer back to San Diego after the start of the '07 Baja 1000 who were kidnapped north of Rosarito, threatened, and made to walk away from their truck and possesions in exchange for their lives.

There was quite an exchange here about the shabby treatment they got when the police dumped them off at the U.S. border by our agents.

Andy McMillin, co-driving with Robby Gordon won the Baja 1000, so it will be interesting to see if the McMillins boycott the race.

I know a guy who was one of the pilots flying the race for the McMillin team communications last year, when one of their people (and his family -- wife, daughter and son) were hijacked. They were taken to a very remote area on a mountain somewhere, held for a number of hours and were finally released, fortunate to get out with their lives. The banditos took everything they had. This happened at night and they had to walk out. The pilot who worked for the McMillins sent me an email about what happened and said he doubted they would ever go back. I hope it's not true as the McMillins have been running in the Baja races for a very long time.

Also, I was told the only way the cop would help them and take them to the border was if they agreed to never tell anyone that he had helped them.

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by schwlind]
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 01:43 PM

Here's a conversion to the SCORE 1000 course overlaid on Google Earth.

http://www.unlimiteddirt.com/offroad/racing/score-internatio...

Just do it!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 04:21 PM

is anyone here going to be hanging around Valle De Trinidad doing pits or watching?

600 miles ??!! why don't they call it the baja 500 this time?
that is way short of a thousand miles.
what's the deal?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 06:30 PM

Pls provide your sources for the number of people who are not going to the baja 1000k who normally would? I can't find a reservation anywhere

Quote:
Just isn't as much fun when racers, fans, support personal are TARGETS!

This will be the second 1000 we have taken vacation time off for that will see us touring in the USA, instead!

Really sad for the locals who so look forward to the business and fun the races bring to Baja... that so many will not be going to the 1000 who normally would!
roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 10:47 PM

On the Google map, is Agua de Leon (east of RM60) Laguna Hanson?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2008 at 08:10 AM

Here's a video of the La Rumorosa Grade from the Race Dezert site.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52980
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2008 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
is anyone here going to be hanging around Valle De Trinidad doing pits or watching?

what's the deal?

SCORE ran its first Baja 1000 in 1975, 2 years after the Mexican owned 'Baja Sports Commitee' tried to run it (in 1973), and 'lost' the money to pay finishers who earned it! Previous, the race was run by NORRA and called the 'Mexican 1000'. 1974 was the only year there was no 1000...

In 1975, the race (for the first time) started and ended in Ensenada rather than in La Paz. It was a large loop in northern Baja of some 850 miles running just south of Punta Prieta (except classes 6,7,11 who ran the pavement to El Crucero as it was deemed the Pacific coast road was too difficult for them). In 1976, 77, and 78 they shortened the race some more, keeping it no further south than San Felipe to San Quintin area and called those the 'Baja 1000 Kilometer' (being under 700 miles long).

In 1979, after negotiating with the southern state of Baja California Sur, SCORE ran its first Baja 1000 to La Paz and it was close to 1000 miles long... That was the race I was in!

Since then, SCORE has alternated between 'long' Baja 1000s and shorter ones that stayed in the northern state... In 2000, they ran a 'Baja 2000' that finished in Cabo San Lucas... It was over 1,700 miles long!

So, today's Baja 1000 is a shorter one, more like a Baja 1000 Km.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2008 at 07:04 AM

BS - several of the prior Ensenada loop courses were closer to 1000 miles.
this one is ridiculously short.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2008 at 07:58 AM
wow that's just plain scary TW!

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

so my Q to you is - what section of the race is this?

can you identify it by ref to RM numbers? between X and Y? :?:

i want to watch my team via spot tracker when they go thru.

gonna be an exciting day doing the 1000....er, i mean 600 :smug: by computer armchair today.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-21-2008 at 09:26 AM
David, here is some history you and I discussed on that topic

Quote:
Quote:

what's the deal?

SCORE ran its first Baja 1000 in 1975, 2 years after the Mexican owned 'Baja Sports Commitee' tried to run it (in 1973), and 'lost' the money to pay finishers who earned it! Previous, the race was run by NORRA and called the 'Mexican 1000'. 1974 was the only year there was no 1000...

In 1975, the race (for the first time) started and ended in Ensenada rather than in La Paz. It was a large loop in northern Baja of some 850 miles running just south of Punta Prieta (except classes 6,7,11 who ran the pavement to El Crucero as it was deemed the Pacific coast road was too difficult for them). In 1976, 77, and 78 they shortened the race some more, keeping it no further south than San Felipe to San Quintin area and called those the 'Baja 1000 Kilometer' (being under 700 miles long).

In 1979, after negotiating with the southern state of Baja California Sur, SCORE ran its first Baja 1000 to La Paz and it was close to 1000 miles long... That was the race I was in!

Since then, SCORE has alternated between 'long' Baja 1000s and shorter ones that stayed in the northern state... In 2000, they ran a 'Baja 2000' that finished in Cabo San Lucas... It was over 1,700 miles long!

So, today's Baja 1000 is a shorter one, more like a Baja 1000 Km.

Dug this up from my memory bank and a little help from Nomad Search

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5056&page...
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 03:46 AM

Does anyone know if the race will run to La Paz or Los Cabos in 2009?

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 09:33 AM

Good chance, since this year's was about the shortest in history... A long one would be logical next step... Unless the economy, or problems in Mexico dictates different.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

so my Q to you is - what section of the race is this?

can you identify it by ref to RM numbers? between X and Y? :?:

i want to watch my team via spot tracker when they go thru.

gonna be an exciting day doing the 1000....er, i mean 600 :smug: by computer armchair today.

Sorry Mike I had left for the race before seeing your post. The grade was at about RM 120. On Sat afternoon I drove down it in my GMC. It is a hoot. 3 or 4 times I had to backup to get around the switchbacks. Met 6 or 7 bikers coming up it. No problems getting down it.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 12:02 PM

well thx TW - how did your fav teams do??

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2008 at 07:00 PM

The biker team we were following got 8th in class, not real good but not bad either. They had a great time doing it. I was glad that Norman and LR won OA four wheelers. I don't know Norman but have followed LR for many years. Also glad Campbell got his 11th OA bike win. He is a classy guy.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.