Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Steve Fossett Found
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 01:54 PM

Authorities have found alot of human remains very near crashsite and are testing DNA. Also they have picked up of the wreckage and pieces of the plane and are reassembling them so they can determine exact cause of crash. How much time and money will this cost? Anyone have any idea? ++C++
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 02:41 PM

doesn't matter. NTSB investigates all accidents by mandate. whatever it costs is paid for in their operating budget.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 03:20 PM
Investigation is automatic!

My long time friend, business partner and Baja racing team mate Chuck got killed when the wing folded up on out little experimental he had just bought.

Several eyewitnesses described it in detail.

Two years later, after two preliminary reports, the NTSB issued its final report, all ten pages.

Cause- "wing fold up"

your government in action....

(the morning after the crash the FAA guy spent an hour with me at the crash site. Next day it was an hour with the NTSB guy at the site, same questions, same dialog, and right then the same conclusion)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 03:25 PM

From Capt. Mikes Footer: "life is short....FLY if you're going there."
:lol::lol::lol:
Gollows humor I guess.

For those of you into grassy knolls and such: do you realise that Mr Fossett did not start his investing until after November 24, 1971????? It takes some seed money to do what he did.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 04:20 PM

-----"remains found 1/4 mile away" (????) that is a LONG WAY from the crash site, it seems to me. More mystery???

BIG coyotes or bears in that area, apparently, to carry Steve THAT far!!

-----great way "to go", tho, if you ask me------splat!!!

-----hope I go as fast.

Barry
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 05:56 PM

The second visit to the discovery site included bear expert Steve Sereles.....

It looks like a large part of Steve Fossett gets to stay in one of the prettist places in the world.

It is a good place for your energy to change form.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 06:01 PM

Yeah, he is probably taking a long winters nap in a nice warm cave near Minaret Lake.....all mixed up with berries and pine nuts in some bear's tummy.

[Edited on 10-4-2008 by bajaguy]

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Authorities have found alot of human remains very near crashsite and are testing DNA. Also they have picked up of the wreckage and pieces of the plane and are reassembling them so they can determine exact cause of crash. How much time and money will this cost? Anyone have any idea? ++C++

The search for Fossett was one of the most expensive ever conducted. It involved CAP (Civil Air Patrol) aircraft from all over the US, as well as numerous Military aircraft and went on for months. The authorities said they would expend the same effort for anyone.(Yeah right!) The state of Nevada sent his wife a bill for over a million for a small part of just their effort knowing she had no obligation to pay. (what the hey, it don't hurt to ask). So far no response. Now it has been reported that National Guard Blackhawk helicopters will be used to haul the wreck off the mountain. The average Joe's survivors would be getting a bill from a privately contracted salvage company.

This has been no ordinary search effort by any stretch.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:

The search for Fossett was one of the most expensive ever conducted. It involved CAP (Civil Air Patrol) aircraft from all over the US, as well as numerous Military aircraft and went on for months. The authorities said they would expend the same effort for anyone.(Yeah right!) The state of Nevada sent his wife a bill for over a million for a small part of just their effort knowing she had no obligation to pay. (what the hey, it don't hurt to ask). So far no response. Now it has been reported that National Guard Blackhawk helicopters will be used to haul the wreck off the mountain. The average Joe's survivors would be getting a bill from a privately contracted salvage company.

----hauling the plane off the mountain has nothing to do with Steve Fossett------they don't want it cluttering up the landscape in a National Forest, that's all.

Barry
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Quote:

----hauling the plane off the mountain has nothing to do with Steve Fossett------they don't want it cluttering up the landscape in a National Forest, that's all.

Barry

Of course not. However, it is standard procedure to hire salvage company's who specialize in aircraft removal to get the wreck off government property in similar cases if they deem it important enough. Fossett is not the first one to crash on federal property. The pilots insurance or survivors pay the bill for removal. You simply do not find military helicopters engaging in routine wreck removal. It is not in their normal job description. As in every other aspect of this operation this has been an exception. The Sierras are cluttered with old plane wrecks on government land that haven't been judged important enough to be collected. Most sites are well documented so when they are occasionally spotted and reported they can be verified as being previously known. A good friend of mine is a helicopter pilot who has recovered remains from crashes in the Los Padres National forest for a Sheriffs department. He has visited numerous old crash sites, some recent and some that date back 60 years that are documented. He is working on compiling a book on the subject.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-3-2008 at 11:03 PM

There is still lots of sheet metal up in the mountains. Every once in a while you come across it while hiking. I think once they recover the remains they leave the wreckage.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 06:10 AM

It is not uncommon to find old crash sites in the High Sierra. There are web sites that list many locations and collect new ones. This wreckage and some remains is still up there:http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-printerfriendly/story/872969.html
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 06:32 AM

Barry......

I have reams of information on aircraft crashes/crash sites where the aircraft or aircraft remains that date back to before WWII that are still on USFS/BLM controlled areas.

One of the better known crash sites is the Tells Peak B-17
http://www.aerovintage.com/02047.htm

In my experience, aircraft are either removed or left at the site for a variety of reasons. The Fossett Bellanca is still owned by Baron Hilton (or his insurance company) and that's who will be billed for the removal/recovery.

When I worked for a California Sheriff's Office, search and rescue costs were routinely billed to the family/insurance carrier......and more times than not, paid......

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 07:14 AM
i thought i read that his partner the Virgin atlantic

Quote:
Quote:

guy paid the extensive search bill? Branson.

Dick Branson. From Branson MO.:lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 10:03 AM

There was a very short bit broadcasted on KING 5 T.V. here in Seattle yesterday, which was a short show and tell of a casual hiker who found the wreckage. He was merily walking along the trail and came on alot of $100 bills and Fossets wallet with his name and picture I.D. laying off the trail. It took alot of time for this to register he said. WOW!!!!:O:O:O
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 10:17 AM

There is more to the "casual hiker" story........

He found the documents one day, discussed them with friends, his boss and his wife (who is a Mammoth Lakes Fire Captain).

The casual hiker said that he did not recognize the name "Steve Fossett" when he found the documents.

His boss hired a local film crew and the next day, the "casual hiker", the film crew and several friends went back to the crash site to look around.

After they did not find anything more of interest, and two days after discovering the documents, the "casual hiker" notified the authorities.........his wife, the Fire Captain also did not notify the authorities when she learned of the find..........

His boss has said that he contacted National Geographic and sold the film of the second attempt to locate Fossett..........

A true upstanding citizen without any ulterior motives, and his wife has an outstanding sense of duty....:fire:

CORRECTION:......Discovery Channel, not National Geographic

[Edited on 10-5-2008 by bajaguy]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

When I worked for a California Sheriff's Office, search and rescue costs were routinely billed to the family/insurance carrier......and more times than not, paid......

Curious, did insurance carriers pay? What type of insurance?

Just a bias, but I think the old Sierra Madre Volunteer Search and Rescue were amoung the best. Well, they were at least an interesting group of oldtimers.

Your last post about the hiring of the film crew etc., I agree with your sentiments. :fire::fire:

Diane

[Edited on 10-4-2008 by jdtrotter]

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 10:40 AM

Bajaguy....Thanks for the real story. Thats really unfortunate and very underhanded of the hiker and his wife and fireman. National Geo. should come clean as well. What bothers me so musch is the fact that our own run news media can't and won't report the straight story either. They just are not willing to stir up animosity with the Mammoth Lakes Fire Dept. ++C++
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:01 AM

JD.....stretching my memory, but think it was related somehow to homeowners insurance.....?????

Crusoe.......his wife is the fireman (fireperson)...........also forgot to mention, the guys boss also called his attorney the day before they notified the police......maybe setting up some kind of deal?????

In 33 years of law enfoecement this is the first time I have heard that someone having information on an active missing person case has called an attorney and a film crew before notifying the authorities.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2008 at 11:07 AM

-----I stand corrected, it would appear. I guess I over-reacted to the statements of "Lanfair" above. Being with the National Park Service and BLM for 30 years, I know of many times that we removed old wrecks from the Public Lands upon finding them, however others here are correct that many wrecks are still there, after realizing that it is not cost effective to remove them.

Sorry folks for misleading you.

Barry
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.