BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Why has Baja Nomad become such a depressing place?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 06:35 AM

Ken, I 'got' your initial question immediately yet held off responding. I agree the index is up. true, one can almost predict whose posts to skip, or just give up on a particular thread, but perhaps the summer heat/economic and world issues have brought more malcontents to their computers. I don't think any moderator can 'clean up the mess' nor that anyone is advocating censorship. there are some folks with time on their hands and minds stuck on shut with plenty of computer time. I've developed my own filters, and a thick skin when/if attacked or hijacked.

on a positive note, there have been a lot of newbies chiming in lately. their enthusiasm bring freshness to Bajanomad, even if some of the questions have been covered multiple times in the past (NNN's bite your tongues, you were there once). welcome.

and there are always the calm islands of reason and experience...participants whose user names have earned respect over the years. you know who you are. or, we know who you are. keep writing.

the majority of us are learning and growing and do have things to contribute. if we err occasionally, or don't manage to convey what we mean will, or...heaven forbid...spell something wrong...bear with us.

" 'I've been in (Baja) for (X) years,' she said, 'sometimes I think it's the best place to live in the universe, and other times I think its just a hideout for stray dogs and lost souls, for people who couldn't get their lives right the first time and are too scared to try again" apologies to Pam Houston

try to ignore/have compassion for the stray dogs and stay positive. the majority of Nomads make this the best place in the world. thank you.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 06:37 AM

There's alot of negativity in the world; why should Nomads be any different?

You can pretty much bet that ANY post that goes onto 3 or more pages has a firefight somewhere in the middle. Just avoid those if your negativity threshold is so low.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 06:46 AM

Like all things in baja..."It is what it is". BUT...we...the participants can make it a better place by

-not littering( garbage posts)

-using a bit of constraint and compassion, (skeet, does calling people "Commies" really foster goodwill here?)

-reporting trolls quickly

-posting positive stories (for example good real estate experiences)

-understand and accept other posters points of view without judging

-keep name calling out of posts

this board is an amazing phenomenon...a plethora of good information...a useful tool in times of emergency...a great source of laughter and just a really neat community...lets pull together to keep it as nice as baja.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 07:29 AM

OK....Good. Lets all have a cold Pacifico. I'm buying.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 07:55 AM

I agree Shari!!
ArroyoTaxi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 03:56 PM

Nicely said.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 04:09 PM

I agree Shari, but would like to make one point that the main forum be Moderated to keep Off Topics in Off Topics.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 04:41 PM

Here's my suggestions:

Create a "Baja Mexico is Terrible Place" complaint forum (it won't happen, but, if it does, no one will post on it because they want to complain on the bigger stage of the General Discussion Forum.

Just Say "No" (all credit to Nancy Reagan) to negative posts. Don't read them, don't try to analyze the psychology or pathology of the poster, just let it slide by and disappear in the ever flowing great river of the Internet. Indifference is the best response, because the poster on the other end can't get in yo' face.

Just my two cents, but Fitty has more. (Sorry, hip hop reference).

[Edited on 6-14-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 04:49 PM

GypsyJan

I'm sorry I don't agree, that is putting the onus on the readers, its much difficult than what you say to cull things that you don't like or agree with.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-14-2009 at 04:53 PM
Comitan, That is Great

Dialogue = Two (or more) Points of View = Enlightenment.

Hurray for dialogue.

I just say, ignore the shouters.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 08:23 AM

In spite of the "half-full" attitude, the underlying problem with the negativity in Baja and, as a result, on this forum, is plainly seen within the NEWS directory. It is consistently filled with what is going on in Baja now - murder, land scams, corrupt government, diminishing fish, rising prices, closed beaches, etc. Less good news because people are not going as often to report their wonderful trips and experiences. Gone are the days from which this forum was born. I'm not saying you can't find those same experiences - it's always my experience - but it's just different now. And that's a fact.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 10:45 AM

There's nothing wrong with reality-based criticism. But the bashing is what offends me. If you're going to bash Baja or Mexico, start your own hate-ffilled forum. Wherever one goes, there will always be the recognition of room for improvement. But, I sense that most, if not all of you share my feeling that when I'm in Baja, I'm happier, warts and all. That being said- the Troll thing. This is the second thread I've encountered where some newbie named Geo_Skip has directed invective against me personally.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 10:58 AM

I think it's your location description of "the OC" that sets him off.:yes:;D

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 11:00 AM

Shari: Right you are I should not refer to those Weak Minded Left Wing Liberal types as Commies.
Sorry, I shall make every effort not to do that again.

Would you be so kind as to suggest a word or sentence that would be Approiate for those who tear down Baja and the Stes, make False Statements and try to convince us all that a Total Govt. Control of all People would be better??

Thanks for your Help.

Skeet/Loreto
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 11:03 AM

Shari-

You can't teach a crotchety old dog new tricks, you know....

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 11:19 AM

" If the Shoe Fits, wear it"!!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
OK....Good. Lets all have a cold Pacifico. I'm buying.

I'll buy the next round....

;)

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

eureka.gif posted on 6-15-2009 at 11:52 AM

Trolls - Their own lives are miserable and they wish to make others' miserable too. They are good at making evocative statements. In playing on universal emotions, they are sure to attract responses.
Some have said, to ignore them is the best antidote. That is what I say about censorship, which I am against. But to ignore trolls' hooks is not easy because they know which bait or lure work best on us humans.

Stalkers - I too have been stalked. He/they get banned and return under new pseudonyms. They spend lots of time obsessing.
They study personalities, compile personal information as revealed in different strings, look at hints of political leanings, look for vulnerabilities, then attack and even threaten.

The current global malaise in which Baja is included; the economy, drug violence, political polarization, scandals, swindles, and especially the advance of the culture of labeling and name calling on the internet and in the media. I won't point fingers here. If you are doing this you know who you are. The rest of us certainly know who you are...a culture that has advanced in the last few years and seems to be irreversible.

In conclusion, this is NOT exclusive to our Bajanomad board. If you look at other forums, you will see that it is indeed a culture that has invaded our modes of communication. I don't think it is going away. We just have to try and decapitate its malfeasance wherever it appears, but realize that you can only do it on a case by case basis.
....Or...ignore it if you can. :light:

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 12:27 PM

Well-stated, toneart .

My family taught me to try to remain quiet about someone
if I could not say something positive,

so

If Life is a Sandbox
Let's Play in It
Kindly !
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-15-2009 at 12:57 PM

Sometimes the "facts" aren't very uplifting or positive. :( Everything about Baja is fantastic, the desert, the beaches, the people, I'd put that in the positive catagory. One fly in the ointment, the reef fisheries on the Sea of Cortez side.:( The term "dead zone" comes to mind. That's about as negative as it gets.:no: Just being honest.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.