[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:48 AM

The Cactus Groper has struck again!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:10 AM
Just my take on breaks

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
btw, ask a local Hawaiian how they feel about Howlies crowding their favorite spots. Secret surfing spots have never been so generously shared till now.;D

mahalo

Hawaiians have more issues than localism but they DO make their feelings known if a pack of howlies show up at a break.

My home break -- San Onofre -- is the most crowded and competitive break in SoCal (along with Santa Cruz) but I still surf there, get my share of waves, and don't drop in. The crew I know, however, do not share Aloha, and wouldn't share their wave with their family. I miss the old days. Party waves, more the merrier.

Anyone thinking there are secret breaks in Baja, and fear a break being discovered, might be living in scarcity -- not enough waves to go around? Not really.

Couple months ago, it looked like Old Mans, Costa Azul, was breaking so I drove back the next day. 9-10am, no one out, and I was out a couple hours. Slow sets, 4'-6', paradise. Few guys at Zippers.

There are no crowds in Baja. Everything is relative.
bog

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:40 AM

nice trip ryan, but really there is no reason to post it. keep it to yourself and let others find it ----on their own. the aaa map has been used for many many years. enjoy, but please don't post it.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 10:28 AM

My oldest brother (retired military) has a bumper sticker/decal on his rear window: "Live Aloha" It's a cool sticker, as well as lifestyle.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 12:02 PM

they may not be secrets, but it is a bummer when posted up at a spot with nobody else around, and then wake up to 8-10 campsites because of the word getting out about the spot and some bullchit swell report. i could care less if the waves show- i just want the beauty and solitude of the place.getting harder and harder to do thanks to things like the internet info highway...
Ryan

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bog
nice trip ryan, but really there is no reason to post it. keep it to yourself and let others find it ----on their own. the aaa map has been used for many many years. enjoy, but please don't post it.

Thank you for the input.
Dear Baja Nomads: Please eliminate the forum called "Trip Reports". Keep it to your self and let others find out.
Apparently, that is not what this message board is all about. That is all for now. Thank you.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 01:43 PM

Ryan, it's been said many times in this thread but worth repeating once more. Don't let a few sourpusses keep you from sharing your Baja experiences with the VAST MAJORITY of Nomads who appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing with us.

I was a surfer in the late 60s and early 70s in the San Diego area, was even on the high school surf team. I don't do it any more but have considered taking it up again. If it is a requirement that I act like those who would criticize you for posting a trip report maybe I'll just stick to fishing.

I wonder how many times this year (or any year for that matter) those who would criticize you have been down to Baja to surf. I would imagine that most of them (except woody) are a bunch of talkers and posers who talk a good line but never get far from home.

Just North of my place in Buena Vista about 300 yards there is a reef that has great fishing from the beach. About 200 yards South there is a smaller one but it's pretty good too. If you watch closely right in front of my place you can sometimes see rooster fish cruising the shallows after mullet. I know that nobody else has noticed it but I just wanted to share. I hope the fishermen aren't lined up elbow to elbow when I get down there next week.....the local fishermen might break out my headlights........

Pretty stupid huh.........dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:45 PM

i don't surf in baja!

a guy could get killed down there!!!

but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night in 29 palms....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by woody in ob]

Fred-o
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:56 PM

I love The Eagles tune called: "Get Over It!"

To criticize a NOMAD for making a trip report is really "the limit".

How many of your friends and neighbors ever get off thier duffs long enough to even go to the next town or village?
Many people here in Punta Banda have not even been down Highway 1 more than 20 miles in 20 years.

Maybe some of these "secret surf beach" advocates should just take thier long boards and bury their heads in the sand
of same said secret beach. You cannot put a Baja surfing beach in the Smithsonian.

It's almost 2010, not 1960 or 70. That was 50 years ago. Half a century.

Here are just a few of the reasons that some of you need to live in the "now":

1. The Internet
2. Google Earth (et al)
3. American Fishermen
4. Private Aircraft
5. Long Range Ocean Going Vessels
6. Pangaros
7. Surfers
8. Baja Racers
9. Land Developers & Real Estate Agents
10. Savvy Land Owners & Ejidos
11. Word of Mouth (1000's of them)
12. Books, Charts, AAA Maps,
Baja Almanacs, etc.
12. Trip Reports on many Baja forums
13. You Tube & People PC
14. Baja Explorers and adventurers (small "a")
15. Cell, Satelite, & Camera Phones
16. Modern Vehicle Capabilities
17. Quality Digital Camera & Video Equipment
18. GPS & Other Navigational Aids
19. Baja Satelite Sea, Wind & Surf Reports
20. Many, Many more people in Baja
21. Highway 1 & Other Road Improvements, BOLA etc.
22. Advertising, in all it's forms

Ryan: I wholeheartedly aggree with dt's post, and hope that you will not be daunted by the few.
Great report!............fred-o
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:56 AM

Whats interesting to note is that this is the FIRST time I've ever seen it mentioned on the internet. Maybe some of you others have, but, I've never seen it.

Its true though, anyone willing to do some research and put in a little effort can easily find these areas... Last time I was there, most of the roads were in graded condition. You don't even need a 4x4 anymore!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:16 AM
Mag Bay, anyone?

Surfing Magdalena Bay, Baja

Mag Bay is very hard to get to and very secluded, Isla Magdalena, ‘Mag Bay” is a rocky point break with strong offshore winds prevailing. Mag Bay is the place to go if you want perfect waves and absolutely 0 crowds. Three right point breaks: Cuevas, Campsites and Bathtubs. Cuevas is the best out of the three, Cuevas is the most consistent break it also catches almost any swell. Cuevas can also handle triple overhead surf. You can only access Magdalena Bay by boat or by plane, so it is best to bring food and supplies, because there are no stores on Mag Bay. There are tour companies that set up all inclusive packages, but make not that you will not be staying in 5 star accommodations, you will be camping on the beach or in small shacks. You really cannot go wrong at Mag Bay, there is usually good surf 150 days out of the year.
Wave Information for Surfing Mag Bay

Alternative Name: Punta San Lazaro, Isla Magdalena, Magdalena Bay and Punt Hughes
Skill Level: Advanced to are you out of your mind
Best Season: Spring and Summer
Crowds:No crowds
Locals: No locals
Hazards: Sharp rocks
Wave Description
Wave Type: Point and rock reef break
Wave Direction: Mostly rights
Best Surf: Head high to triple overhead
Power: Fast and hallowl
Wave consistency: Regular consistency
Bottom Type: Rock
Tides and Swell
Best Tide: Varies between breaks
Wind Direction: North and Northwest
Best Swell Direction: Mag Bay is best on a big West
Wave Access
Easy to Locate: Yes, if you own or have access to a boat
Location: The best way to get to Mag Bay is by air. Fly into Loreto, get a cab or a to Puerto San Carlos. Then catch the ferry to Puerto Magdalena, the break is located at the base camp of Isla Magdalena.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:21 AM
How about Seven Sisters?

Seven Sisters

The famous "Seven Sisters," area of Baja has probably some of the best surf you will find anywhere. The famous "Seven Sisters," which is a series of right point breaks that stretch from Punta Cono all the way to Punta Rosarito, "The Wall." The winter winds create an upwelling in the water, making these perfect points freezing, the water temperature is sometimes as much as 10 degrees colder than San Diego. At famous "Seven Sisters," It is not rare to see guys in 4mm suits, with booties; you may even see guys in hoods.

Punta Cono -Right point break that breaks best on Winter West swells.
Punta Maria - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.
Punta Lobos - Really good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.
Punta Negra - Good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.
Punta Rocosa - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.
Punta Santa Rosalillita - Perfect right point break. Best on a big West. To get completely away from the crowds head to Bahi Santa Rosalillita, which begins after the point. Here you will find a bunch of reefs with no one in site.
Punta Rosarito - The Wall is located 18 miles south of Punta Santa Rosalillita. It is a consistent right point break that takes most swells, but it breaks best on a West and Northwest. The Wall is Legendary for its power and size.
Surfing Seven Sisters

The famous "Seven Sisters," 400 miles down Mexico Highway 1. To get to these breaks it is best to go to Punta Santa Rosalillita and head either North or South. The roads to the beach are decent, but some breaks require 4-wheel drives to get to. Most of these breaks offer camping on the beach.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:34 AM

Story at 11! Paving next year! Don't we all want more people along there!:P Why, do you get scared on those lonely stretches of pristine coastline? I can remember a few that were quite private not that many years ago.. Now you can order a $15usd margarita on that same beach. How cool is that!!!!!!:NOT!:P

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 11:54 AM

can you say CABO?

keep the details, gps co-ords and neon signs coming and that's what we'll have in no time at all.......

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by woody in ob]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:08 PM
Half empty or half full

Cabo? I LOVE CABO! Scratch my head when people say they hate Cabo. But then, I know different people like different things.

Cabo has one of my favorite breaks: Old Mans at Costa Azul. For the most part, I've never seen it crowded to where I objected. It's best when Mexicans are in the majority in the water -- EVERYONE is having fun.

Abreojos and Sisters might have paved roads someday -- but not in my lifetime.

Don't hear Mexicans whinning about crowds or telling people not to talk about their surf breaks in public.

Gringoes arguing for gringo ''localism'' in Baja? Yeah right.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:27 PM
Here's Johnny!

Surf's up!!

These kind of surfers scare the hell out of me!:wow:
and I'm supposed to be a shark!
:lol:

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Dewey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 10:31 PM

Been to all of the Seven Sisters points you mentioned and even some not mentioned. Some are easy to get too, some are medium and some are hard but they were all fun and certainly not secret. Even been to Punta Hughes before the surf camp. Just hired a ponga like the guys who were there before me. "Gringo localism", great term.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Cabo? I LOVE CABO! Scratch my head when people say they hate Cabo. But then, I know different people like different things.

Cabo has one of my favorite breaks: Old Mans at Costa Azul. For the most part, I've never seen it crowded to where I objected. It's best when Mexicans are in the majority in the water -- EVERYONE is having fun.

Abreojos and Sisters might have paved roads someday -- but not in my lifetime.

Don't hear Mexicans whinning about crowds or telling people not to talk about their surf breaks in public.

Gringoes arguing for gringo ''localism'' in Baja? Yeah right.

Abreojos is now at the end of a paved highway... You may live forever!:bounce:

Photo taken 2 years ago near the Campo Rene road:

707 222r.JPG - 21kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 6-25-2009 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Beautiful stretch of coast. I've done it twice going out to Catarina Landing from Guayaquil and working my way south to Rosilillita. Both trips solo with an S-10 Blazer. I think you can give directions for this area to everyone you meet and maybe 1 out of a 100 will actually go out there. Last time I did the trip I took 3 days and didn't see another person in the northern 2/3's. I haven't motorcycled it yet because I haven't found anyone who will do it with me, I have enough range on my bike to do the trip and I didn't see anything that the bike wouldn't handle except the moon dust near Bahia Blanca but I think I could get around that.
KurtG, check your u2u
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.