BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Trading the 2005 for a 2010 Tacoma! (Photos added)
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 08:52 AM

Nice truck David. I see you got it at Carlsbad where I vowed not to shop after a sales manager literally told me I was dumb for thinking I could get a tundra at my desired price. Which I later did get in Escondido for that same price. Truth be told, I would still shop there if they could deal. Business is business. IMO it's hard to go wrong with a toyota truck. Next time David, don't wait so long to post up pics!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 09:06 AM

All 4 of my dealings with Toyota Carlsbad have been outstanding and easy, so your experience is unusual, but sad none-the-less. Always go to Fleet Sales (Mr. Joy is the manager there) to buy or lease a car...

Before I got my first Tacoma in 2000, I went to the Ford dealer in Encinitas to give the Ford Ranger a fair shot at my business... They gave me the "sell your van first, then come see us" line... Went to Toyota Carlsbad next, and drove home in my new Tacoma that night... Mr. Joy was there then and now, and always makes it easy and painless.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 01:55 PM

Great looking truck DK!

I have new 'Yota envy!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 03:47 PM

"Mr. Joy was there then and now, and always makes it easy and painless."

Man - they'll really bend over backwards these days to make a deal.:lol::lol::lol::saint:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:09 AM

Wow, just looked at the new pictures of your truck.. now that IS a nice looking truck... and I really like the room you get with that cab too... enjoy your new ride.. a new car is like a "tonic" ....

Just kinda picks you up a notch or two... taking off in a "new" car..

One can't argue with your Dad... he was on point.. seems you listened to the old man pretty well.. your a good Son

:):):):)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 10:17 AM

Gee, thanks...really nice thing to say!

I have been posting on the Tacoma World Forum to learn more about the traction features added since my 2005 Tacoma was mde... I am still reading and learning how they work. Here is a summary what someone there posted about the New Toyota Systems:

VSC:

One of the new devices is VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) created by Bosch: See and hear how it works: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/206114/689691

The normal problem with pickups on slippery roads, fish-tailing on a fast turn has been eliminated with VSC. VSC can be turned off in off road conditions where tire spinning is desired to get un stuck by 'rocking' the vehicle.

TRAC: Limited Slip Differential (LSD) system for 2WD, or 4WD Hi Range (normal paved and dirt road driving).

AUTO LSD (in 2WD only): By pushing the VSC button, normal TRAC (LSD) turns off and becomes 'AUTO LSD' that works harder on slipping wheels to quickly get you 'un stuck' when a tire looses traction, in 2WD.

4WD Hi Range (4-Hi): AUTO LSD goes off, VSC and TRAC are on.

4WD Low Range (4-Lo): Turns off TRAC and VSC.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control): Offers TRAC (LSD) when in low range 4WD. Seems to be a new feature that previous model owners had to cut a wire to have.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERNTIAL (in 4-Lo only): Power goes equally to both rear wheels.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL + A-TRAC (in 4-Lo only): Power to both rear wheels and power to front wheel(s) with traction.

With A-Trac and the rear differential locked, you could have only ONE tire on firm ground and it will pull the vehicle out any mud, snow, sand situation.

The ULTIMATE in 4WD control! I am even more impressed with features that the dealer didn't explain or that I understood at the time, easily.

If I find newer or better details on how to explain the drive features, I will add them.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 01:50 PM

DK, put it in the washer with extra hot water and shrink it to the size of the old Tacoma and I will buy one!:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 01:57 PM

Neal.... it's half your fault I even got started with going to Toyota!:bounce::biggrin:
THANK YOU!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 12:12 PM

Here is wht I posted over on Tacoma World forums about yesterday's trials at Ocotillo Wells:

Okay, I finally took the new 2010 4 door Tacoma TRD 4WD OFF ROAD to the desert today (Ocotillo Wells) to try the new traction controls and 4WD in the sand and on hill climbs.

First off, the truck suspension feels much improved over my 2005, which was very soft and bottomed out with a load in the back. I added Ride Rite air springs to my 2005 to stop that problem. So, off the bat... a better feel off road, at speed.

Steep hill climb attempt... a silt covered 'dry mud' hill with some rock that steadily got steeper.

I made two runs in 2WD. First at normal settings and then with TRAC off/Auto LSD on. Neither got very far up as traction was lost in the silty dirt as soon as it got 'steep'.

So, since TRAC Off/ AUTO LSD are only features that improve 2WD performance, and are way weak if 4WD is available... let's see how many 4WD modes the Tacoma has:

1) In 4-Hi, very impressive climb up the hill... You can tell there is a difference with these limited slip differentials over the '05 with open differentials. You cannot turn TRAC or VSC off in 4 Hi... not that you would want or need to... but I tried pushing the button different ways (in Neutral, drive, etc.) with no change.* All wheels with tracion pulling.

2) In 4-Lo (no TRAC or Auto LSD), lots of low end power, as with the '05... but did not climb as far up the hill as in 4-Hi ... Not impressive in this application. 1 front and 1 rear tire getting power.

3) In 4-Lo with A-TRAC engaged.... WOW, way up the hill to the same approx. place as 4-Hi. As we have read, ATRAC is giving you Limited Slip Differntial action front and rear. All wheels with traction pulling.

4) In 4-Lo with REAR DIFF. LOCKED... Not as far up... I was surprised... But it was likely due to the loose dirt and the torque of 4-Lo digging... 2 rear wheels and 1 front wheel with traction pulling.

5) In 4-Lo with REAR DIFF. LOCKED AND ATRAC... Reached the high point of the hill climb. The limited slip front differential (and locked rear differential) gave the Tacoma all the climbing ability it could have... Rear 2 wheels pulling and front 2 wheels with traction pulling.

In the sand department, 4 Hi did all the driving... after trying 2 Hi normal and with TRAC OFF/ AUTO LSD ON.

Today was a quick run, as I just had to try out the new truck in the dirt. Next weekend we take it to BAJA where we will drive it on the 'bottomless' sand beaches of San Felipe that usually require tires aired down to 10-15 psi for floatation, in 4WD.

The A-TRAC button was a very important addition... for those that need the most traction while in 4-Lo. I see why the excitement about cutting the wire for the pre '09 Tacomas that didn't have the A-TRAC button, but did have TRAC/ AUTO LSD.

I was MOST impressed with the 4-Hi, standard TRAC mode... it was amazing all alone. 4-Lo with ATRAC may only be needed for very rocky, steep grades or extra torque in mud/ snow stuck situations...? The locking rear differential may not be so mandatory as it used to be before TRAC (Limited Slip Differentials).

More testing to come!

* Today, I was able to turn the VSC off in 4-Hi (which also turns off TRAC and AUTO LSD). In 4-Lo, the VSC goes off automatically. A-TRAC gives you back the LSD in low range.

[Edited on 12-29-2009 by David K]

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 12:16 PM

Now we just need to see one of these put on the back of it:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 04:28 PM

My tent is bigger and weighs a whole lot less! I also don't have anyplace to store the camper shell for the majority of the time my truck bed is used daily for my jobs.

chernefitter
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 06:04 PM

u want trickle down so u can get back to work huh....buy an american product next time maybe......
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 06:26 PM

I bought a Baja product... you should too... this is a Baja forum afterall!:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2009 at 06:28 PM
TRACTION CHOICES ON THE TACOMA

So, the Tacoma has tons of versatility and drive choices.

Understanding of Terminology:

a) VSC: Vehicle Stability Control was develpoed by Bosch and uses sensors to apply brakes to wheels to keep the truck moving safely if it should go into a skid.

b) TRAC: Traction Control normally on in 2WD uses both brakes and cuts power as needed to create a limited slip differential action by braking spinning wheels and directing power to wheels with traction. In 4WD (H4), engine output is not regulated.

c) AUTO LSD (2WD Only): If TRAC is turned off in 2WD, AUTO LSD turns on and forces power to the wheel with traction by braking the spinning wheel. NO power is cut in AUTO LSD. AUTO LSD (TRAC Off only) cannot be activated in 4WD. (TRAC works the same as AUTO LSD in H4 on all 4 wheels. A-TRAC works the same as AUTO LSD in L4 on all 4 wheels).

d) A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) works only in L4 (Low Range 4WD)... works like AUTO LSD, but on all 4 wheels.

e) RR DIFF LOCK (Rear Differential Lock) works only in L4 on 4WD Tacomas. VSC and TRAC are both off when the rear differential is locked.

---------------------------------------------------------
Now, the various options of driving systems using the above 5 traction controls:

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC normally active.

2) 2WD: Quick push of switch (car with wavy skid lines) turns off 'TRAC' and 'VSC', and turns on 'AUTO LSD'. Gives maximum power to tire with traction by braking spinning tire without cutting power.

3) 2WD: 5 second push of switch turns off all three (VSC, TRAC, AUTO LSD) for free spinning of tires. VSC will reactivate if driving over 30 MPH. This is for getting out of snow, mud, sand if spinning the tires or rocking the truck can help.

4) 4WD-Hi (H4): VSC and TRAC are both on. No engine power is cut in TRAC while in H4.

5) 4WD-Hi: 5 scond push of button (while stopped) turns off VSC and TRAC. This allows spinning of tires if needed.

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off.

7) 4WD-Lo: Push of A-TRAC button (by Cig. lighter) activates A-TRAC and forces power to the wheel with traction by braking the spinning wheel. NO power is cut in A-TRAC (just like how AUTO LSD works in 2WD).

8) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK gives equal power to both back wheels and power to either one of the front wheels (open front differential).

9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK and A-TRAC activated would make the front differential limited slip by braking a spinning tire and forcing power to the tire with traction.

[Edited on 12-30-2009 by David K]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 07:21 AM

You are having a blast with the new one.. good for you.. nice to hear some fun stuff... just don't get any scratches in that "pretty" thing...:):)

forgot to ask, has the wife gotten a chance to sit in the drivers seat yet !!!

[Edited on 12-30-2009 by wessongroup]

Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 08:00 AM

Hi David;

I do not see a center differential lock button on your left dash..

Our 2008 4runner has multimode 4 wheel drive but the regurlar SR5 does not come with a rear differential lock button..

The 4runner manual does refer to Active traction control and this is deactivated when one pushes the center diff lock button. By pushing the LSD OFF button VSC and autoLSD are turned off.

The best 4X4 action on this 4runner model are in 4LO with the center diff locked and NO computerized control of brakes or engine (as I understand it) both front and rear diffs are open .

One should also deactivate the rear side curtain airbag (RSCA) if the vehicle is on a steep slope...

Steve in Oro Valley
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 09:56 AM

Hi Steve... there is so much terminology in this, and the manual is not very complete on the options.

The Tacomas have no center differential to turn on or off (which usually is only in full time four wheel drive systems)... I had that in my Jeep with Quadra Trac.

TRAC is the system that is like or better than limited slip differentials.

In 4WD High Range = brake created limited slip front and rear (same as Auto LDS in 2WD or A-TRAC in 4WD Low Range). By pressing and holding for 5 seconds the VSC Off switch you can turn off the TRAC to allow spinning of all tires.

Originally, there was no A-TRAC (LSD) in 4WD Low, but after much requests or comments, it was added in 2009. Previous years' Tacoma models with TRAC had to cut a wire to get A-TRAC or limited slip action in 4-LOW.

There are many pages on this at Tacoma World Forums... It is fun figuring it all out.

I have edited my above list to show the correct operation of TRAC in H4.

For non-Tacoma folks... The 4 wheel drive system is Part Time with automatic locking hubs. With a turn of a dial at any speed up to 55 MPH you can go into 4WD High and hubs lock at the same time. To change to 4-LOW RANGE for steep crawling or max.torque pulling, you stop and put the truck into Neutral and turn the dial from H4 to L4. It works like a breeze and is the same as my 2005 Tacoma. Locking Rear Differential works only in L4 if selected... for loose, rocky conditions where you want power to both rear tires regardless of traction conditions.

What is new with this 2010 the addition of TRAC, A-TRAC, AUTO LSD... all are limited slip differential systems...

VSC works in 2WD and 4WD HIGH RANGE to keep you going where you want if the truck begins to skid. The Bosch system video explains it well.

TRAC in 2WD uses brakes and power reduction to move power to the wheel with traction. VSC and TRAC always work together.

AUTO LSD in 2WD uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction. A big help if you don't have 4WD to get out of a stuck situation.

TRAC in 4WD HIGH uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction.

A-TRAC in 4WD LOW uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 10:08 AM

DK doesn't the new Tacoma have an improved off road brake feature that improves the braking of the ABS when off road? Or do they just have a switch to turn off the ABS?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 12:41 PM

I don't have any special data collected on the ABS system... We all know that it is really only good on dry pavement and otherwise will not stop the truck as soon as without ABS. Itis disabled when the Rear Dif. islocked... Here are a couple of charts that explaing what works, when...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2009 at 06:51 PM

Thanks, that must be what I read. I know my 07 ABS is not off when the rear diff is locked.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.