Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12
Author: Subject: Road Block Bandits
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:28 AM

Thanks for the warning Durangotang! I have encountered possibly 100's of roadblocks and checkpoints between 1974 and now. Every single one had uniformed police or military present. I have seen plainclothes jefes in the past, but always recognizable back-up present. To not have mentioned the possibly dangerous situation in his great report would have been irresponsible to those acting on its great content. David, deleting that info is as bad as the hush-hush demands to the press by Mexico regarding issues that would have a negative effect on tourism. I personally have never encountered a "bandito". I do have a few friends that have been jumped, assauted, and robbed. Usually at night, in out of the way places. I will be advising my wife, who is driving with her 70 yearold father, from Ensenada to La Paz on Friday, of the need to stay off the road at night, and to keep her eyes wide open. She will be on 1 the entire trip, so I am much more worried about trucks and livestock than banditos!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

DK: you are a burro. do you work for the Mex government "Department of Tourism Promotion and Denial?" :lol:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:44 AM

Over the years I have encountered many banditos while driving in Baja and they were always in uniform.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:46 AM

:lol::lol::lol::light:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

DK: you are a burro. do you work for the Mex government "Department of Tourism Promotion and Denial?" :lol:

Agreed !!
Why is it always someone else's fault when DK says something stupid ?
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:51 AM

Have I missed a pattern?:light:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:09 AM

I just wish he would stick to what he encounters during his couple weeks a year
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:20 AM

mexico is full of crooks and petty thiefs. its cause they are poor and don't giva a tinkers damn.
anyone who ignores that is clueless and naive.
driving at night is completely idiotic.
it ain't no paradise - it's just a place to vacation if you have smarts.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
driving at night is completely idiotic.

It would be a sport if we could arm ourselves.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:37 AM
anyone remember this guy?

frito.gif - 18kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Thanks for the warning Durangotang! I have encountered possibly 100's of roadblocks and checkpoints between 1974 and now. Every single one had uniformed police or military present. I have seen plainclothes jefes in the past, but always recognizable back-up present. To not have mentioned the possibly dangerous situation in his great report would have been irresponsible to those acting on its great content. David, deleting that info is as bad as the hush-hush demands to the press by Mexico regarding issues that would have a negative effect on tourism. I personally have never encountered a "bandito". I do have a few friends that have been jumped, assauted, and robbed. Usually at night, in out of the way places. I will be advising my wife, who is driving with her 70 yearold father, from Ensenada to La Paz on Friday, of the need to stay off the road at night, and to keep her eyes wide open. She will be on 1 the entire trip, so I am much more worried about trucks and livestock than banditos!

I didn't delete a thing...

I also didn't give my personal bandito beliefs until AFTER someone else brought up the bandito part of his report.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
I also didn't give my personal bandito beliefs until AFTER someone else brought up the bandito part of his report.

Like I said; it's someone else's fault !! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I just wish he would stick to what he encounters during his couple weeks a year

Exactly what I did... I discussed what I experienced in my 45 years of Baja travel... I know that you have found Baja and have a place there, and perhaps you may want to keep it to yourself.

However, on this forum people come to learn about Baja travel as durangotang did...

IF he read that banditos would be waiting for him south of Puertecitos, or anywhere in Baja... Perhaps we wouldn't have heard a great report, he wouldn't have a great vacation, and Mexico would be a bit less rich...?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:46 AM

Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

Try it next time you are there and let us know what happens.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Can you answer the question: How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

Do you really believe that the military would let someone run one of their stops?

YES

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass

I didn't delete a thing...

Excuse my wording, I did not mean you deleted anything. I meant that if he had left out, or deleted that information, it would be a mistake. Caca happens, and people need to know!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:52 AM

Quote:

Can you answer the question: How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'?

Oh, C'mon, David. Times have changed. They're out there and you know it. It isn't like it used to be and isolation is no longer a factor.
US tourists are ducks in a pond and the scum knows that. You do too.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

YES

Pls post the result. If you are able.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:54 AM

I loved his report... and said so after he posted it... He thankled me and even said my web site was a help to his trip planning...

If I was a new traveler to a new place and reported something strange, I would want to know what it really was and not just be guessing.

I just gave some POSSIBLE answers to ponder... the drama queens on Nomad are just having their normal feeding frenzy.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.