Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Road from Mikes Sky Ranch to Meling Ranch
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 09:06 PM
Route from Mike's

So, TW & David, we'd follow the route of the map David posted, avoiding the blocked gate to El Corral Falso, taking instead a route a hundred yards further - then on to Meling Ranch.

We may try it.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 10:38 PM

Let us know how it was and take photos/ mileages, etc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 08:37 AM

John that is correct. The turn is 1.9 miles past the Simpson jct. There is or was a sign there. It goes down a long hill with a turn to the right. It meets from the left the road from Astrobajas jct in 2.2 miles.

I've heard from off road bikers that El Coyote is a pretty good place to stay and the food is very good. I haven't tried it myself but if you have a chance I'd like to have a report on it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
John that is correct. The turn is 1.9 miles past the Simpson jct. There is or was a sign there. It goes down a long hill with a turn to the right. It meets from the left the road from Astrobajas jct in 2.2 miles.

I've heard from off road bikers that El Coyote is a pretty good place to stay and the food is very good. I haven't tried it myself but if you have a chance I'd like to have a report on it.

[Edited on 10-5-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StevenB

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

TW, I rode this 2 weeks ago on the way from Mike's to El Coyote. The traditional turn into El Corral Falso in the oak tree grove is blocked by a downed tree. A sign says El Coyote to the left. You get around the downed tree by going about 40 feet (not several hundred yards) west on the road then turning RIGHT onto a freshly graded dirt road. An unlocked gate must be open and shut. Then it's smooth sailing to El Coyote. If you do not make this right turn, you will find the old route to El Coyote through Los Encinos Canyon is washed away and passable only be the heartiest dirt bikers. We rode to El Coyote through Los Encinos, came back through Corral Falso.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StevenB
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

TW, I rode this 2 weeks ago on the way from Mike's to El Coyote. The traditional turn into El Corral Falso in the oak tree grove is blocked by a downed tree. A sign says El Coyote to the left. You get around the downed tree by going about 40 feet (not several hundred yards) west on the road then turning RIGHT onto a freshly graded dirt road. An unlocked gate must be open and shut. Then it's smooth sailing to El Coyote. If you do not make this right turn, you will find the old route to El Coyote through Los Encinos Canyon is washed away and passable only be the heartiest dirt bikers. We rode to El Coyote through Los Encinos, came back through Corral Falso.

Surprised a chain saw wasn't applied to it by now? If it is the same one, it fell during the 2005 fire and it was still smoking when we passed by... we were maybe the second car to use the detour track around it. Here are two pics from my web page http://vivabaja.com/905 :

I stand in front of the fallen oak that blocked the road. One car and some bikers had made a detour through the brush before we arrived.

cjesme
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:52 AM

There are 8 of us going to Rancho El Coyote/ Meling Ranch Oct. 10-11.
First time for all of us! Hope the road is ok because I am taking my Equinox all wheel drive.

Carlita and Esteban
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:59 AM

wow... good luck!:rolleyes: (you will need it if you are going via Mike's Sky Rancho from the north).

If you are coming from west, via the observatory road, piece of cake... all paved except the last 5 miles to El Coyote which are graded and easy.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 09:47 AM

Thanks Steven.

cjesme let us know how it is.
RufusTheDoofus

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 05:36 AM

Any recent trip reports about the road's south of Mike's Sky Ranch? Passable by 4WD or still more of a dirtbikes-only situation?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 06:05 AM
Roofus -

We did not do the Mike's to Meling route on the trip with the thread you have found. Plans changed. We have not seen any further discussion on the route. Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not so bad.

I have not seen a 2011 Baja 1000 map but if the course uses that road then I'd think it would be passable.

John M
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-16-2011 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
[Well Ken, are you going to wear out that Jeep on the SoCal hwys are doing good work in Baja?

On my way to work THIS VERY MORNING, I used my FRONT/REAR LOCKERS (not e-brake A-trak), as I passed a BURIED Nissan PATHFINDER 4WD! Yes, this is on my way to WORK at 7:15 a.m. Gotta love living in the Inland Empire!

To answer your question, my Rubicon earns every letter on its' hood during my roundtrip commute!:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
[Well Ken, are you going to wear out that Jeep on the SoCal hwys are doing good work in Baja?

On my way to work THIS VERY MORNING, I used my FRONT/REAR LOCKERS (not e-brake A-trak), as I passed a BURIED Nissan PATHFINDER 4WD! Yes, this is on my way to WORK at 7:15 a.m. Gotta love living in the Inland Empire!

To answer your question, my Rubicon earns every letter on its' hood during my roundtrip commute!:bounce:

I don't want to battle the merrits of a 'smart' traction system vs. good 'ol time lockers here, but so the folks know the difference:

Lockers (locking differentials) lock the rotation of both tires per axle together. One tire cannot rotate more than the other. This is good when one tire is in the air or in loose, no-traction soil. The other tire on firm ground powers you ahead. This is bad when you need to turn a corner or maneuver your rig through tight spots because when you turn the tires all 4 tires need to rotate at a different speed. Constant un-locking and locking of the differential (specially the front differential) is required.

Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) uses spin sensors at each tire and the ABS brake system. If one tire begins to spin, the brakes are applied to that tire in order to match it to the rotation of the other tire on that axle. The effect of equal power to both tires is achieved, just like with a locker. The benefit is that steering is uneffected and you do not need to turn the A-TRAC off to maneuver tight trails.

A-TRAC is included on all 2009+ Toyota Tacoma Off Road TRD 4WDs, as well as models of the Tundra, the 4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser and some Lexus 4WDs. A-TRAC does make some noise when it operates, and may not be as 'smooth' as lockers... But when it comes to maneuvering a tight trail where maximum traction is needed, it can't be beat.

The Off Road Tacoma also has a rear locking differential, but the A-TRAC offers more traction since it operates on the front tires, too.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:09 AM
Begging the question...

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Lockers (locking differentials) lock the rotation of both tires per axle together. One tire cannot rotate more than the other. This is good when one tire is in the air or in loose, no-traction soil. The other tire on firm ground powers you ahead. This is bad when you need to turn a corner or maneuver your rig through tight spots because when you turn the tires all 4 tires need to rotate at a different speed. Constant un-locking and locking of the differential (specially the front differential) is required.

If your vehicle is set up with Limited Slip differentials (by default), then why would it benefit from A-trak? The Rubicon system is seemless when used accordingly to the terrain. If you need to make tight turns while fully locked, perhaps you don't need to have 100% torque applied to the ground (by that particular wheel).

While it is rare that I need to use my Front locking differential, I am glad to know it is there in the rare circumstances where my Interco tires do not have enough traction.

[Edited on 9-17-2011 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:23 AM

A-TRAC is not a limited slip differential... they allow slippage, sometimes taking a long time to engage... A-TRAC is almost instant... very close to lockers... but way more firm (stronger) than limited slip.

The electronic/brake limited slip that ALL Toyotas now have is called TRAC... with a selectable setting in 2WD called 'AUTO LSD' (no engine output regulation).

My truck has TRAC, but being a 4WD Off Road Tacoma it also has A-TRAC. The A-TRAC Toyotas have a hydraulic brake booster for stronger, faster 'locking' of any non-traction tire. ALL other Tacomas have a vacuum brake booster.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:25 AM

But do you like all of this brake-assisted traction?

After having full locking control, I don't think I would be satisfied with this A-TRAC system.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
But do you like all of this brake-assisted traction?

After having full locking control, I don't think I would be satisfied with this A-TRAC system.

I love it because it works fantastic... I have proved how well it works more than once... Perhaps this time I needed to use it was the most telling...

Elizabeth and I were wheeling in some hills between San Marcos and Hwy. 15... lots of roads with deep ruts going steeply up and down hills. I was backing down one grade and accidentally drove into a pair of ruts and became high centered on my differential and spare tire (both rear tires were off the ground)... Now, I was pointed up hill and being off road the soil under the front tires was not uniform. One tire would spin and the good traction tire would do nothing, normally.

The A-TRAC was on, I gave the truck some gas... and with just one tire in front, pointing up a steep hill, the A-TRAC pulled my truck out of the ruts. My impression was "WOW... this thing works just like having front lockers"!

In another situation (actually the very first time I used A-TRAC), I was wheeling on the beach at Bahia Santa Maria in H4 (4WD-HI), with tires at 32 psi using TRAC (limited slip)... Which was the first time I could drive with ease on the beach without deflating... To see if it wasn't a fluke of conditions, I turned off the TRAC and went to just normal open differentials (still High Range 4WD)... Almost right away, my truck got stuck... it was crazy, but proved that Toyota's electronic traction system really enhanced the 4WD making any or all 4 tires with traction get power instead of just the tires without traction.

So, now that I was burried... I could have (and normally would have) let the air out of my tires, cleared away the sand, and drove out. However, instead I turned on the A-TRAC and gave it the gas... some strange sounds (normal for A-TRAC) were produced... and the truck drove out of the stuck! I returned to H4, TRAC ON and drove on as before! A-TRAC made the truck feel like a tractor.

I have not found anyplace where my truck cannot go or becomes stuck... but I will continue to search!

Viva Toyota 4WD TRAC and A-TRAC!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I have not found anyplace where my truck cannot go or becomes stuck... but I will continue to search!

Viva Toyota 4WD TRAC and A-TRAC!

Let's visit the stranded Suzuki Samauri where Caņon Enmedio drops off the cliff and see if you can follow me near the waterfall and back up to Basketball Hill! Those boulders swallowed the Samurai and were a blast with my 4:1 low-range!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 03:10 PM

OK... BRING IT ON!

RufusTheDoofus

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 07:56 PM

I've got ARB air lockers in my 1980 HJ45 Land Cruiser Troopy. The stock transfer case has a 2.27:1 low range. The Marlin Crawler dual case setup has 4.7:1 gearing. First gear is 3.55:1. Low-low in 1st gear gives a 155:1 ratio at the rear axle. I can typically putt-putt my way through most anything.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.