BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11
Author: Subject: Carlos Fiesta's Plane en route from Mexico crashes in Newport Beach, CA!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:27 PM

RIP:saint:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM
The True Mark of a Sucessful Real Estate Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
14 years ago I spent a weekend in Ensenada with some friends. My truck was broken into and it appeared as though something scared whoever it was that did it because the ignition switch was already out but it had just been abandoned. After dealing with the police report and insurance guy Carlos Fiesta decided to take us out for a night of fun.

I remember him having the specific goal of plastering his Baja Expo stickers everywhere in Baja. You can still find them. They are high quality white plastic in the shape of a european oval license plaque that say BAJA and the word expo in red.

He had several ways of doing the sticking of the stickers without being caught. In Houssongs he stood next to the door and put his hand against it as though he were leaning on it. Then when he lifted his hand a sticker would be there. If something was within arm's reach of the car while in motion or stopped, he'd make it a new home for one of those stickers.

They were everywhere for awhile, every booth at San Ysidro had at least one, the back and front of road signs, windows of hotels, restaurants, bars and cars. That's evidence enough that he's been all around the baja and met a lot of us. Folks all up and down the peninsula just lost a friend.

we'll always remember ya Carlos!

Pamela y Cuervo
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:36 PM

Very sad! The race itself was one of very low injuries and mishaps and now this....

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!

-- A simple operating practice.

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Now they own the media and run the schools.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:47 PM

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:54 PM

W/o even knowing this guy I miss him. Great way to go, however. Big weekend to Baja 1000 in San Juanico. There's many a man & woman I will never meet but will mourn their loss. Adios, Amigos. Tio
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:01 PM

Carlos was the cream of the crop, the best of the best... We have lost a great friend to the Baja community... I met him over 10 years ago and he was always supportive of our events, attended all the Viva Baja parties, and enthusiastic over anything Baja related. I think I last saw him at Mexico Ted's Mexico Expo...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I met him over 10 years ago and he was always supportive of our events, attended all the Viva Baja parties, and enthusiastic over anything Baja related. I think I last saw him at Mexico Ted's Mexico Expo...

David - Thanks for throwing your Viva Baja! parties and also inviting me. It was a great opportunity for so many of us to congregate and talk Baja (and eat great food). Please do another event in the near future.:light:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:21 PM

So very sad for their families----

allanbartlett
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:26 PM

Very sad day for all Baja amigos. RIP to all three of them.
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrrow."
- Carlos Fiesta

Now, that's a guy who lived his motto!!

Met him once at a Viva Baja, read his story of running Baja in a Boston Whaler. An impressive man.

Vaya con Dios ...

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:22 PM

The community of Baja California travelers has lost one of its most highly valued - and contributing - family members.

We are incredibly saddened by this tragedy. :no:

Our thoughts and prayers right now are with the immediate families of Chuck Chambers, Russell Urban, and Sean Kelly - as well as everyone in their "extended" families.

-
Doug Means and family.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:24 PM

A bit contrarian, but why is this so sad? The guy had a zest for life. He lived life to the fullest. We all have to die. He left doing what he loved. Is that really so bad? As B&B said - via con dios, amigo.

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by The Sculpin]

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 11:03 PM

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newport-plane-crash-...

By Mike Reicher
November 23, 2010

After five days of surfing and Mexican food, the three buddies were flying home to the South Bay from Scorpion Bay, the world-class surf break on the Baja Peninsula.

They had eaten a roasted pig with other travelers, watched an off-road truck race and enjoyed the sun. But on the last leg of their journey home, the trip took a tragic turn.

Veteran pilot and surfer Chuck Chambers radioed air traffic controllers that he was diverting his four-seat plane to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana because it was low on fuel.

He never made it.

Chambers, 58, a Palos Verdes Estates real estate broker, and his two friends — Russell Urban, 63, and Sean Kelly, 44 — were killed Sunday night when their single-engine Beechcraft Musketeer crashed into the Back Bay, an ecological preserve in the heart of Newport Beach. Federal investigators Monday were examining the wreckage to determine what caused the accident.

"Nothing has ever happened before," said Judy Urban, who said her husband was a retired schoolteacher. "He always complimented his friend, the pilot, because he was meticulous. That would make me feel comfortable."

Whereas previous trips to Mexico had been mixed with charity work, this one was pure fun. They had watched the Baja 1000 off-road race and ridden the waves at Scorpion Bay, nearly 800 miles south of Tijuana.

"He had been a Baja lover since he was 16. It was his passion," said Chambers' widow, Leslie.

"They are older, established men, and they still have that love of surfing," she added.

On Sunday morning, the three men started on their trip home after stopping to refuel in San Felipe, said Leslie Chambers.

Her husband left an upbeat voice message saying that they would be home before 5 p.m., she said.

They made an intermediate stop in Calexico, a California border town south of the Salton Sea, but it was unclear if they refueled then, Leslie Chambers said.

National Transportation Safety Board lead investigator Wayne Pollack said he found "minimal fuel" in the engine compartment, but stopped short of saying whether the plane had run out of fuel.

The pilot called the tower at John Wayne to warn that it was running low on fuel, said airport spokeswoman Jenny Wedge. The airport is less than five miles from the site of the crash.

The plane, built in 1968 was pulled from a mud flat in the Back Bay on Monday afternoon as the U.S. Coast Guard worked to control any contaminants released into the sensitive Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve.

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 11:38 PM
Chuck Chambers/Carlos Fiesta

Chuck, along with two other friends, Russ Urban (my three son’s third grade teacher and “Teacher of the Year” in Palos Verdes) along with Sean Kelly (surfing buddy) were killed last night. They were coming back from spending the night in Mulege. I last saw him take off from Cadeje Airstrip on Saturday afternoon. He was heading to the Serenidad Hotel. Carlos wanted Russ and Sean to experience the Saturday Night Pig Roast, even though he had done it so many times in the past. Chuck also wanted to get an earlier start on Sunday morning to avoid getting back to Torrance Airport after dark. He last spoke with his wife in San Felipe at 11:00 am yesterday getting fuel and expected to land in Torrance by 4:30 after getting more fuel in Calexico and clearing U.S. Customs.
His wife Leslie and daughter, Tracey are doing as well as can be expected. I have also spoken with Russ' wife Judy and Sean's wife, Laura. Everyone is in complete shock.
Chuck died while trying to avoid the populated area surrounding John Wayne where he was trying to make an emergency landing. This was classic Chuck.

My friend Bert Lein wrote this to me earlier today as I was flying back from Loreto to LAX:
"There is nothing I or anyone can say to alleviate the pain we all feel after a tragedy like this.
When people die prematurely or accidentally, we always ask why? There is no answer except to quote the old saw, “life is not fair" of course that is of small comfort to the survivors. All we are left with is the fact they will always live on in our memories, especially those memories of the good times.
They go; we stay. The earth turns, constant change."
Bert and his family were with us in San Juanico for the Baja Mil.

I took this last photo of Carlos on Saturday afternoon as he was preparing to take-off. He was giving the gentleman who is in charge of the airstrip some gifts (as he had always done with almost everyone he meets). The Tee-shirt was a gift but, it says "Carlos Fiesta". Yes, he lived life to the fullest for sure.

The outpouring from the Baja Nomads community is overwhelming. He would be so honored by all of you.

Chuck Chambers/Carlos Fiesta:
August 21, 1952 "dash" November 21, 2010
He truly lived the "dash" in life to the fullest.

Carlos, Russ and Sean, go fly with the Angels my friends and fly far...

P1220025X.JPG - 48kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 11:57 PM

Thank you for sharing Juan...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 12:07 AM

Oh man, this is so very sad. An unbelievable loss, and one incredible man.. Bob H
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 04:51 AM

that was great John. i know 1st hand how close you guys all are.
please send me the info on services when they are available. you have my email.
i'll cherish the time in Nov 2001 when Chuck motored into Mulege up the river on his odessy in the figian panga and broke the prop which we got fixed for him, and he and i met at the bar 1st time as planned via our prior emailing and off the old amigo's board. What a guy! What a life's worth of adventure!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 09:56 AM

Oh my God....

I am so very sad to hear this terrible news... While I didn't know Chuck... I spoke to him 2-1/2 weeks ago to order 12 Baja calendars...

Our deepest sympathy and condolences to all the families and friends of Chuck and the other two on board...

A horrible tragedy!

Linda
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 10:05 AM

So close to the airport, less than a mile away. How horrible! RIP
SUNDOG
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2010 at 11:32 AM
From The LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newport-plane-crash-...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.