BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Trailer palapa building costs?
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
halcyondays wanted a simple inexpensive joint to kick in a few times ...not a fancy dancy house! No need for all that Styrofoam tech....unless you plan to live there full time...otherwise a simple 18000 btu ac from Home Depot will keep penguins happy!

A/C I wish! I'm off the grid.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Quote:
halcyondays wanted a simple inexpensive joint to kick in a few times ...not a fancy dancy house! No need for all that Styrofoam tech....unless you plan to live there full time...otherwise a simple 18000 btu ac from Home Depot will keep penguins happy!

A/C I wish! I'm off the grid.

Point taken!!!!!!!! Need me to send down some blocks of Ice?:lol:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:08 PM

Quote:

If that comment was directed at me, I only provided the URL to show Gaucho the type of cement & foam roofing system Oladulce was talking about....that's the typical roofing system used down here for large & small structures. I do live here full time & with my having gone with the foam walls as well, I don't need no stinkin A/C! This type of roof would undoubtedly be appreciable quicker & less expensive to build than palapa material, it's a lot cleaner since it doesn't attract scorpions & other bugs, it's less susceptible to break-ins, fireproof & requires a lot less maintenance.

As Skeet has pointed out, getting a palapa done right requires a maestro with years of experience & it'll last a long time....but it's definitely not cheap to have done! Nor are they maintenance-free. I love the appearance, but wouldn't want to live under a palapa!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:

If that comment was directed at me, I only provided the URL to show Gaucho the type of cement & foam roofing system Oladulce was talking about....that's the typical roofing system used down here for large & small structures. I do live here full time & with my having gone with the foam walls as well, I don't need no stinkin A/C! This type of roof would undoubtedly be appreciable quicker & less expensive to build than palapa material, it's a lot cleaner since it doesn't attract scorpions & other bugs, it's less susceptible to break-ins, fireproof & requires a lot less maintenance.

As Skeet has pointed out, getting a palapa done right requires a maestro with years of experience & it'll last a long time....but it's definitely not cheap to have done! Nor are they maintenance-free. I love the appearance, but wouldn't want to live under a palapa!

No cross hairs was aimed at you. My comment was said with innocence.

"I don't need no stinkin A/C!" ...you dont like visiting penguins? :o

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:48 PM

A common construction technique is to lay foam blocks called casaton to form a reinforced grid of concrete and rebar. It's a very good way to build a strong and insulated roof.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 09:38 PM

Rats like to make homes in the fronds of Palapas. Don't know why....they just do.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho

oladulce, what would you consider a BIG garage?

Gaucho,
a big enough garage is always going to be a little bit bigger than the one you just built, isn't it ?

Here's a couple of constuction pics of the foam blocks (casetón) that Longlegs and I were talking about.
Rebar framework on casita roof

Garage Ceiling with foam installed, before plastering. Foam blocks are stacked on the ground

This type of construction is conducive to adding on to later, which is what Halcyondays mentioned in a u2u would be their plans.

I'm certainly not anti-trailer and palapa (I'm sitting in our trailer as I write this while we're up in CA) but warn that it's easy to get excited about your little slice of heaven and over time add improvements to your palapa- fire pits, showers and bathrooms, decks and porches and next thing you know you look at what you've invested and realize you could have built a little casita for the same cost, and you still don't have a garage for storage. ;D
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.