Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: looking for some brave 4x4 souls
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The rains and hurricanes often destroy roads and trails that block the locals. Case in point is the Comondu road between La Purisima and San Javier. Because of the damage the section from Comondu to San Javier is closed to all but MC traffic and maybe a few really BA 4x4s for the most part. The question is should it be repaired for use or should it go back to nature? Who is to say that some locals may use the road that 4x4 just opened instead of going around on a longer path. I remember when the north road from the San Borja mission was torn up and blocked by heavy rains, should that have been left alone? People could still get in from Rosarito.

I would love to check this region out when its' possible, but any progress made by our knobby mud cleats could possibly be lost by monsoon-like rains, but the challenge is what I'm often there for.

I remember driving the Pole Line Road to "Suzuki Falls", our group had to construct a "rock bridge" in order to get a full-size Chevy 1500 pickup back and forth. It was crazy fun, but the 35"-size tires were too much for the Chevy's IFS Steering system, but it was a blast.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
really is stupid to create new tracks where there are none or the old tracks have healed over.
people that drive off established trails make all off roaders appear bad.
what an assinine sequence of pictures.

you should level your house - and let the spot heal over
where will you be living?
plan on using any roads in the future?

typical response of the type of *sshole that gives offroading a bad name.
i am green, but only against irresponsible offroaders like you that aren't happy until you have scarred virgin ground. responsible offroaders get my respect - you get less than zero.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 03:00 PM

Quote:

i am green, but only against irresponsible offroaders like you that aren't happy until you have scarred virgin ground. responsible offroaders get my respect - you get less than zero.

This route has obviously been in previous existance. Do you see the track to the left that had not been washed out? My vote is to keep it open to mechanized travel.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 05:08 PM

Goat: It is obvious to us humans that this was a washed-out road that they are repairing... Could make access to a hospital faster fro some rancher, saving his life.

They should get an award for doing the public works business!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 07:08 PM

I guess Roy, Richard, Bill and I are in deep dodo for getting the squarcircles SUV thru the la Turquesa mine road. We had to move a few boulders around. I bet they are probably washed back in the way by now.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2011 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I guess Roy, Richard, Bill and I are in deep dodo for getting the squarcircles SUV thru the la Turquesa mine road. We had to move a few boulders around. I bet they are probably washed back in the way by now.

Hey, I went by Roy's place a few days ago and visited for a while... He is fine and showed me his big street bike... His Land Rover (Winston) now has a Vision X LED light bar across the roof and Roy says it lights up the desert in front of him like a baseball field night game. He got his computer working and he reads Nomad... Hi Roy (The Squarecircle)!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 10:49 AM
Thats why its called offroading!

I Bet if they paved the road instead of just moving rocks and brush mt goats dumbass would be driving up and down it. Just like all the other roads he drives on.

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by TheBajaKid]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 12:51 PM

Well Mr Squarecircle when are we going to Baja for another adventure?????
I've got a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and it should be ready for some serious trails in a month or so. So far I've made a couple of trips to Jawbone Canyon and the gold mine trails toward Ridgecrest. Was in last chance canyon last week and almost did get lost trying to find my way out before dark.
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 04:31 PM

TW

In your original post and all since then there is no mention made of a goal of saving lives or anything other than going where nobody else has gone before and to do it while Mex regulations are so relaxed.

I have been wheelin for a lot of years and belong to several reputable clubs. The emphasis has always been - IMPROVE YOUR RIG AND YOUR SKILLS - not the trail (no matter how Mother Nature may have changed it.)

Show us some photos of you and your build out over coming a really nasty waterfall and I would be less critical.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 07:23 PM

I don't think TW plans on actually traveling where no man has never before been. That is a pretty big exaggeration, Rachel. Moving rocks has been done to create the Johnson Valley trails, and the BLM has sanctioned this on the land it oversees. Unfortunately, this land will be turned over to the Twentynine Palms Marine Base for training purposes. You want to see environmental decimation? Stay tuned.:no:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 07:50 PM

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park---------access to Collins Valley------on a Park-sanctioned "road" that is so tough & rough that I "move rocks" every time I drive in there, to protect my vehicle from damage.

I was a Park Ranger (Natl. Park Service & BLM) for some 30 years--------there is NOTHING illegal or wrong about "moving rocks" on an established & sanctioned trail or road, even tho Nature may try to close it from time to time------it's expected that people will "move rocks".

Any argument otherwise is a red-herring, if you ask me.

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
TW

In your original post and all since then there is no mention made of a goal of saving lives or anything other than going where nobody else has gone before and to do it while Mex regulations are so relaxed.

I have been wheelin for a lot of years and belong to several reputable clubs. The emphasis has always been - IMPROVE YOUR RIG AND YOUR SKILLS - not the trail (no matter how Mother Nature may have changed it.)

Show us some photos of you and your build out over coming a really nasty waterfall and I would be less critical.

I'm not sure what you mean by lax Mexican regulations. Non-paved roads in Baja are controlled by the property owner or the Ejido. If it is marked keep out or no trespassing I stay out. If it is a closed gate I will close it when I go thru.

I must assume you do most or all of your off roading in the US from what you say belonging to several clubs. There are few if any waterfalls to climb in Baja that I'm aware of, but that is not what I do anyway.

I drive and ride the trails used mostly for off-road racing but also to explore various areas I've not been to or maybe to visit people I met on a previous trip or to take supplies to some of the remote ranchos in need. There are ranchos all over and many in very remote areas. I use Google Earth to look at a trail to see if it looks OK from point to point then check it out. If I have to move rocks to get thru I'll do so. Many of the roads in Baja travel near and in arroyos and when it rains or there is a hurricane the road may get blocked from boulders washed into the path. Mexicans will find a way around them and often later do the repair. Sometimes they don't have the means to repair the road.

I am not familiar with the road 4x4 worked on but it may very well be near a remote rancho that stopped using it because of the damage.

My off road vehicles are a 2004 GMC Z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit and 33 inch tires and a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 that I'm working on getting ready for Baja with a few things still to do.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:04 PM

Damm those missionaries that created the Camino Real...:fire::lol::lol:
destroying all that Baja landscape, but wait back then the Baja wasn't the Baja, therefore let me refrace my firts comment."PRAISE DOES MISSIONERIES FOR OPENING EL CAMINO REAL FOR US... Baja rds here we go.....

[Edited on 2-14-2011 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:17 PM

That red Dodge better be able to keep up with my Silver GMC next weekend. And Lou better have some good 4x4 trails picked out.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
That red Dodge better be able to keep up with my Silver GMC next weekend. And Lou better have some good 4x4 trails picked out.
Dont worry TW I carry 2 tow straps with me all the time in case I need to pull you out:lol::lol::lol:see you in SF.. thanks 4 comming.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Well, Mr. TW,

go visit my web site and you'll find out when the next adventure is scheduled: Baja Extreme Adventures

No need to call me Mr Squarecircle as I always sign posts with my full name - using real names is so much more civilized I think. However, I like your creative idea of using "Mr Squarecircle"

Harald Pietschmann
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Well, Mr. TW,

go visit my web site and you'll find out when the next adventure is scheduled: Baja Extreme Adventures

No need to call me Mr Squarecircle as I always sign posts with my full name - using real names is so much more civilized I think. However, I like your creative idea of using "Mr Squarecircle"

The Squarecircle is another member on this forum.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 08:48 PM

I think he was talking about Roy the SQUARECIRCLE, who help me with my flat tire that i got on the way to Matomi in the Nomad trail ride

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-13-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
really is stupid to create new tracks where there are none or the old tracks have healed over.
people that drive off established trails make all off roaders appear bad.
what an assinine sequence of pictures.

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
There is a big difference between maintaining an existing trail and building a new one. If your route requires a chain saw and earth moving equipment pick a different route or get a vehicle that can handle whats there. You would never get away with this crap in the states.

I understand both your emotional outcries. Yes, nature needs to be saved and protected and I am very involved in reducing unnecessary harm. I have been teaching responsible 4-wheeling and treading lightly for more than 25 years. I would not dare creating new tracks.

If you would only read carefully enough how I have announced our planned adventure. Plan was to follow an existing but badly neglected road

Harald Pietschmann
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 08:22 AM

TW, Ken, DK, Barry, et al:

We all seem to really enjoy wheelin the outback and I particularly enjoy the Baja because there is so much of it without roads, trails, and roads and trails that Nature has reclaimed. I for one would like to see it stay that way.

We just seem to fundamentally disagree in our approach to the sport. Have good adventures and TREAD LIGHTLY.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.