Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Stopped by police in Tecate
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 10:11 AM

When they have masks and guns, introduce yourself as "El Choyero", su amigo, me recuerdes? Tell them a long story about the cold of the north and when you wore a mask to go 'hunting' and it was so claustrophobic, you accidentally shot your friend and you got a cold from the mask. Now you don't wear a face mask...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 10:16 AM

Paul....you forgot to mention the time-tested, most effective method of diversion.....standing in front of the cop having a polite discussion, and peeing in your pants. Just stand there and unload a twelve-pak into a puddle around your huaraches.
Freedom guaranteed. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Lee

Quote:

What about probable cause up North do you think applies in Tecate?

Mexico has laws.

Quote:

Try to put yourself in the shoes of someone without a lot of experience.

If I thought I couldn't handle the pressure, I wouldn't be on this side of the border.

Quote:

Think I asked this question of you and DK about the guy who went to the station in Tecate months ago and never got an answer. Why is that?

You mean this??

Quote:

In a past thread of mordida in Tecate, the ''victim'' went to the station. It was not a positive outcome -- or for a friend of mine who was stopped in CC (who went to the station).

I don't know. I wasn't there.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Paul....you forgot to mention the time-tested, most effective method of diversion.....standing in front of the cop having a polite discussion, and peeing in your pants. Just stand there and unload a twelve-pak into a puddle around your huaraches.
Freedom guaranteed. :lol:

DENNIS. QUIT IT!!!

Jeezus, just spit a whole mouthful of coffee all over the machine.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
This is what I question, first and foremost. It simply makes no sense and I doubt there's a law on the books ......

Dennis you are about as angry as a nomad comes. This isn't about law, or civil rights, or anything else. These cops have no right to shake down a tourist but it's being done.

What about probable cause up North do you think applies in Tecate?

Can you gather your wits for a moment and address the issue here -- without going off on cops in the street and losing your cool?

IF that's not possible, answer my question about what you would do in a similar situation!

Try to put yourself in the shoes of someone without a lot of experience.

Paul has some great advice -- unfortunately, it's for the advanced traveler and doesn't apply to the rest.

Think I asked this question of you and DK about the guy who went to the station in Tecate months ago and never got an answer. Why is that?

Sorry Lee, I don't know how to put the individual question to be answered in it's little box so here goes. Hope you understand.

" These cops have no right to shake down a tourist but it's being done."

And will continue to be done if you pay off. When you stop paying it will quit for everyone. Several months ago there was a heart-felt posting of a guy who was going to get his vehicle and trailer impounded, separate cells for he and his wife, his dog killed...all kinds of crap if he didn't pay up. He did pay up and now everyone down the pike will pay.

"What about probable cause up North do you think applies in Tecate?"

What about PC up North? Do you think it applies up North??? My civil liberties are being abused and denied every time I am stopped NOB.

"without going off on cops in the street and losing your cool?"

I bite my tongue bloody not going off on CBP, ICE, DEA and Arizona Sheriffs because they do want you to b-tch about their lack of PC so they can really phuc over you.

Sorry, no sympathy here, I'll take Mexico every time and his solution of off-loading a 12 pak is brilliant.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 04:13 PM

LOL! is anyone else imagining an arrogant blowhard in a peeed stained suit behind mexican bars with a stereotypical fat mexican jailer in poor broken english saying "hey,its a game, lets have some fun"?:lol:
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
" These cops have no right to shake down a tourist but it's being done."

And will continue to be done if you pay off. When you stop paying it will quit for everyone. Several months ago there was a heart-felt posting of a guy who was going to get his vehicle and trailer impounded, separate cells for he and his wife, his dog killed...all kinds of crap if he didn't pay up. He did pay up and now everyone down the pike will pay.

Mordida has existed for hundreds of years. I truly admire your idealism (and Dennis') that if just enough people stop mordida, it'll go away.

As for the fool above who paid mordida believing everything you've written, it looks like more hysteria (the kind Dennis spews lately) from newbies who fear MX cops.

Unload a six pack? Brilliant? Play the gringo dim-wit. It's becoming some nomads. It's got to come naturally.

But, hey, who cares. I'm having fun.

Unloading a 12 pack will wait for that little room in the trailer they take me to for refusing a vehicle inspection NOB, on old 94, after I just crossed at Tecate.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Didn't come to a complete stop? Sorry. Broke the law.

2 pocket knives found? Broke the law again.

A bit scared and rattled? Bet the cops saw how scared he was.

2 choices: pay fine or see judge? Naw. He had other chocies but that's the way he saw it.

Hey if you're easily intimidated by MX cops, break MX traffic laws and weapon laws, Tecate is not for you.

For the rest of us? No sweat.
just so we all understand, what were his other choices?:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
-- just a feeling I have about MX cops and how they put the screws to travelers.

Historical vengeance.....not only for the cops. It's been built in to the culture. That's why people here, who feel there's a sympathetic ear somewhere up the chain of command, are delusional.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 06:20 PM

It's never the same. So you have to consider what happens and where. Then, of course, there's your mood, there's, lots of other things going on.

Last time through C Constitucion I was hot, tired, in a bad mood and had not slept well the night before in GN. So I was going a little too fast for the town, the signs and got pulled over.

Cop #1 was a little, mean looking guy but he wanted 5K pesos for speeding. I countered with not reporting him to the local sindicatura. He wanted to take me to the calabozo. I jumped out, grabbed him and b-tched slapped him right in front of his partner.

They were shocked and non plused, got back in their truck and drove off.

Like I say "Whatever works".
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 07:23 PM
The solution starts at the top

One more nail in a rapidly closing coffin lid of economic woes.

If the government really got it (or if they really care) they would fix this stuff, and quick,
cuz lots of folks avoid Baja for the violence, for the drug crap, etc,
but lots of folks have had these experiences with local cops and/or know someone who has, and thus they decide to go to Santa Cruz instead.

I'm continually amazed at how out of touch the chiefs are, to let the indians run rampant on the visitors.

Just my sense of the issue

(Sure hope that was not a racist post- these days you never know)
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
It's never the same. So you have to consider what happens and where. Then, of course, there's your mood, there's, lots of other things going on.

Last time through C Constitucion I was hot, tired, in a bad mood and had not slept well the night before in GN. So I was going a little too fast for the town, the signs and got pulled over.

Cop #1 was a little, mean looking guy but he wanted 5K pesos for speeding. I countered with not reporting him to the local sindicatura. He wanted to take me to the calabozo. I jumped out, grabbed him and b-tched slapped him right in front of his partner.

They were shocked and non plused, got back in their truck and drove off.

Like I say "Whatever works".

Jorge I would have never thought that of you, but, "Whatever works".

Good call. Probably won't be messed with again either.
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 11:45 PM

So back a couple of years ago while passing a very slow semi truck going up a grade outside of Ensenada I ran a cop off the road when I failed to check my mirror and did not realize that I was being passed by a cop at that very moment. Talk about wrong place wrong time.

Boy was I scared!!!! He pulled back on the road and promptly pulled me over and I was sure I was going right to jail, never been so scared in my life. 2 cops get out one old and one young and start laying into me. They are speaking a million miles an hour and I am getting one out of every ten words. But I get that I am getting a ticket and that I will have to pay the judge. I say but I am on my way home and can't I just pay him and he pay the judge for me since the judge is not there on Sundays. He says something like, no es mi problemo.
He turns around and heads back to the car and starts writing.

The younger cop is feeling a little bad for me at this point and let's me know that I have 30 days to pay the fine and get my license back. The old guy comes back hands me the ticket for reckless driving and keeps my license. I am thinking I will never see that license again and of course get a new one when I get back to San Diego.

3 weeks later I head back to Ensenada, go to the court, pay my fine it was something like 30 bucks, go to anther place to get my receipt stamped, go back to the court with my stamped receipt, where the nice clerk opens up a drawer sorts through a bunch of papers and files and pulls out my license hands it to me with a receipt and tells me to have a nice day.

I was blown away in this case the system worked and I was trying to pay a mordida as I had been asked to do one other time in the past. But the cop played it by the book.

We also had one other time in Todos Santos where we got pulled over for something made up, refused to give him my license and he gave up after about 5 min and moved on to someone else.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 11:49 PM

Quote:

So thought we'd give the "heads up" to those traveling through Tecate ...

Came throughTecate this morning on the way back to San Diego after a couple of weeks in Baja. I saw one Tecate Mexican cop in a new pickup pull over a Mexican plated car, blow the uturn, then drive off, just before the frontage road that becomes the border access. The border line was only 17 minutes, 11:07-11:24, and the route 94 check was open...less than 2 cars.

EdZ
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 08:09 AM

I have told this one before but....
Some years back I was committing the serious offense of DAPIM (Driving a Porsche in Mexico)
Going up the free road toward LaGloria on an early Sunday morning- well around 8 a.m. Got pulled over for no apparent reason. Cop wrote me up, took my license, motioned me to follow him to the station,
arrived at a little station on the outskirts of TJ- he called out "Capitan, aqui" and this old guy shuffles out of the back room, carrying a dripping mop.
Reaches under the counter, puts on his cap, charges me about ten bucks (in peso) writes a basically illegible receipt very carefully, hands me the license, we all shake hands and I keep on for the border.
So, yeah, once in a while the system works,
just leave the 911 at home.
Sprocket
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 12:37 PM

After the Baja 1000 last year,we came back through Tecate. It was late on sunday, so we were moving through town pretty fast and got stopped. The cop was pretty cool and I played dumb ( no spanish and acting lost ). After he explained that he stopped cause the trailer lights were off (disconnected). I reconnected them and he directed us to the end of the line, NO CHARGE!
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdZeranski
Quote:

So thought we'd give the "heads up" to those traveling through Tecate ...

Came throughTecate this morning on the way back to San Diego after a couple of weeks in Baja. I saw one Tecate Mexican cop in a new pickup pull over a Mexican plated car, blow the uturn, then drive off, just before the frontage road that becomes the border access. The border line was only 17 minutes, 11:07-11:24, and the route 94 check was open...less than 2 cars.

EdZ

Hey, didn't I see some of your articles while you were in Baja? God Bless the internet, it allows you to have a vacation and still make some cash...

Brian
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

lol.gif posted on 6-6-2012 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Some years back I was committing the serious offense of DAPIM (Driving a Porsche in Mexico)
Going up the free road toward LaGloria on an early Sunday morning- well around 8 a.m. Got pulled over for no apparent reason. Cop wrote me up, took my license, motioned me to follow him to the station,
arrived at a little station on the outskirts of TJ- he called out "Capitan, aqui" and this old guy shuffles out of the back room, carrying a dripping mop.
Reaches under the counter, puts on his cap, charges me about ten bucks (in peso) writes a basically illegible receipt very carefully, hands me the license, we all shake hands and I keep on for the border.

sounds like the entertainment value far exceeded the $10!:light:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 04:12 PM
You are correct

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

sounds like the entertainment value far exceeded the $10!:light:

Headed for the station we were a little shaky,
headed on up the road after the trial, conviction and settlement of sentence we laughed out loud.
I still see that little wizened guy with the mop, so dead serious, putting on his official cap and dealing with us in such a serious and professional manner.
Up here we have "trial by your peers"
down there I guess it is "trial by Janitor"
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 06:19 PM

Motor Cycle Cop pulled me out of border line up into left lane for not wearing seat belt. Checked my license/registration and told me to get belt on and back up to end of line.no bribe or trip to station. Just exercising his authority.:fire::fire:

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.