baja09

[*] posted on 9-25-2012 at 08:40 PM
Killing Marlin

Sad very sad..........please dont kill them

A+P......... PILOT........Baja Sur Lover
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2012 at 09:19 PM

To Bill Collector: get off your high horse! Maybe you practice catch and release, but how many of those didn't survive your 'sport'? How many did you gaff and keep before you were enlightened? Based on you login name here, either you are an avid bill fisherman, or else a guy who hassles people for late payments. Or maybe both. Neither an admirable profession in most peoples opinion. Quit on all the negativity, it's obvious it comes from within.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2012 at 11:32 PM

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Your so wrong, they are not legal. Learn the law !!!

Hey man. I'm just reading what it says. There's no provision on a 'per boat' basis. Cortez resorts kill a lot of billfish, get over it. Put the bong down and go for a walk.

Just to confirm what I believe is true I will drop a line to the Conapesca today and let you know, ok? Then the loser should apologize, because you are just being rude to Blanca and she doesn't deserve it.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 06:05 AM

I'm very curious to hear what the resolution is to this "one billfish per boat limit". As has been pointed out there is no provision in the law for a 'per boat' limit.

Tournament rules are not law. Otherwise it would be against the law to fish leaders under a certain length or have a hook dangling beyond the lure's skirt etc.

I support catch and release of billfish. But the uproar caused by the dead fish in this thread is misdirected.

One has to wonder if the angry posters in this thread have the same reaction to the Cabo boats that go out to set catch and release records on marlin. They hook up to 190 marlin in one day. And every fish swims away happier and healthier than before it was hooked I'm sure.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector

get over it. Put the bong down and go for a walk.

I see nothing about boat limits.http://www.conapescasandiego.org/contenido.cfm?cont=REGULATIONS
http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-california-travel/baja-adven...

[Edited on 9-26-2012 by luv2fish]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 08:14 AM

so far this has been a real education for me. I don't take the rants personally at all, I simply had no idea there was this overwhelming love for marlin. They are gorgeous but so are dorado.

My goal in life is to make people around me HAPPY. so I post pics of fish since hubby is not remotely interested in posting on BajaNomad. and education is my life. so I have now learned about billfish.

that being said - bill collector - please post a link to somewhere - anywhere - where it says the law was broken. and I can't believe you named yourself BILL collector. that is so funny and I didn't pick up on it til the previous post ! duhhhhh.

now, I find it ironic and a bit hypocritical us that the very ones who think these marlin should be protected, participate in tournaments. I wouldn't, were I a fisherman, after reading how they are endangered.

Now, time to get over to the hotel to see what the SAGARPA folks can tell me after consulting with their CONAPESCA peers.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 08:39 AM

Blanca, Bill Collector is wrong on this issue - nowhere in the regulations is a boat limit imposed.

Perhaps with his love for these fish, he would like to see a boat limit but the fact is that at this time it isn't so.

I impose my own limit on certain species (calico bass) on my boats so I understand where Bill Collector is coming from.

Say Hi to Les for me....
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
so far this has been a real education for me. I don't take the rants personally at all, I simply had no idea there was this overwhelming love for marlin. They are gorgeous but so are dorado.

My goal in life is to make people around me HAPPY. so I post pics of fish since hubby is not remotely interested in posting on BajaNomad. and education is my life. so I have now learned about billfish.

that being said - bill collector - please post a link to somewhere - anywhere - where it says the law was broken. and I can't believe you named yourself BILL collector. that is so funny and I didn't pick up on it til the previous post ! duhhhhh.

now, I find it ironic and a bit hypocritical us that the very ones who think these marlin should be protected, participate in tournaments. I wouldn't, were I a fisherman, after reading how they are endangered.

Now, time to get over to the hotel to see what the SAGARPA folks can tell me after consulting with their CONAPESCA peers.

I think this is kind of like the guy who builds a house on a hillside, but when others try to build around him, he uses the excuse that it isn't safe for building or it will cause overcrowding, this way he gets the whole hillside to himself. Don't take the Marlin they are all MINE MINE MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 09:08 AM

The bottom line is that in order to stop being criticized for killing marlin the people of bocana have to brush up on and respect fishing ethics. Last year it was the images of dead and hanging 200 lb black seabass and grouper and this year it's marlin.

Mexican sport regulations are ineffective in fishery management. The limit for baja grouper is 5 per day. The only people who are limited by this are spearfishermen. Most rod and reel guys won't encounter 5 in their lifetime.

The difference between marlin and dorado? Well, one important difference is that marlin fishing is what put baja on the map. Even before the baja dirt racing started anglers were flying to baja specifically for marlin.

I also don't see what relationship there is between having had a good time at bajablanca's B&B and fundamental fishing ethics. We all know that bajablanca is a wonderful person but that has no bearing on these fishing practices at bocana.

Every fisherman should practice conservation regardless of what a piece of paper says.

Fish shouldn't be kept just because it's 'his first one' (or second).
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 09:55 AM

okay so where do we stand? bill collector and baja boy are adamant that its one marlin per boat. from my understanding reading the mexican regs its one marlin per person, if you got five guys on one boat you can keep 5 marlin.
so billcollector and bajaboy please show us otherwise. and acadist is spot on, tournament rules are just that,we're only interested in what the mexican LAW says.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
okay so where do we stand? bill collector and baja boy are adamant that its one marlin per boat. from my understanding reading the mexican regs its one marlin per person, if you got five guys on one boat you can keep 5 marlin.
so billcollector and bajaboy please show us otherwise. and acadist is spot on, tournament rules are just that,we're only interested in what the mexican LAW says.

Whoa....I just posted what I found online. I did ask about the perspective of the Coop, though. To me, it seems like sport fishing in the region is still in the infancy stages compared to other areas such as the East Cape/Cabo area. I think with time, the sport fishing industry will adopt a similar catch and release policy as other areas. I find it odd that they will slay marlin and other species but protect abalone and lobster. I have never been one to pack up the ice chest with fish...pretty much catch what I can eat.

Zac

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

... I have never been one to pack up the ice chest with fish...pretty much catch what I can eat.

Zac

Perfect. It's that simple.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 11:02 AM

I have the "Little Green Book", PESCA, the laws, 15th edition, 2000 which hasn't changed much, if at all, since it was adopted in 1972. All the point schedule stuff is not new law from congress but Pesca's way of explaining how many and what kind.

In Baja Sur the resorts and charter people decided (at times) to help the fishery by setting their own BOAT limits on billfish. First it was ONE per boat. Then they said "NO BILLFISH EXCEPT THOSE THAT DIED IN THE FIGHT AND THOSE THAT WOULD NOT SURVIVE THE RELEASE AFTER THE FIGHT. Hereabouts, because money is tight, charter guys often bent that rule and caught hell from their charter resort bosses. So they would radio a small boat to meet them, offload the $150 dollar meat price fish and go in empty.

I have a call in to our local fish cop and I'll get the straight poop from the horses mouth in short order. What I think is that EACH LICENSE HOLDER CAN CATCH AND KEEP ONE BILLFISH --- NO BOAT LIMITS CAN BE FOUND IN THE LAW. I ALSO THINK LIMITS DURING TOURNAMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MEXICAN LAW AS CONCERNS ONE PER BOAT OR NONE PER BOAT.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willard guy
so bill collector and bajaboy please show us otherwise. and acadist is spot on, tournament rules are just that,we're only interested in what the mexican LAW says.

Whoa....I just posted what I found online. I did ask about the perspective of the Coop, though. To me, it seems like sport fishing in the region is still in the infancy stages compared to other areas such as the East Cape/Cabo area. I think with time, the sport fishing industry will adopt a similar catch and release policy as other areas. I find it odd that they will slay marlin and other species but protect abalone and lobster. I have never been one to pack up the ice chest with fish...pretty much catch what I can eat.

Zac
hey lets just get to the bottom of the legal part of this and leave the moral issue aside for now.
baja boy stated "by law,each boat is allowed to keep one billfish" now you say whoa, that's just what I read on the internet. by who,bill collector?
and we're not interested in the interpretation or policies of resorts or charter operators.
it looks to me like the mexican fishing laws are simple, to the fact and fair. it sounds to me like some in the billfishing community are stretching these laws to fit they're agenda. yes/no?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willard guy
so bill collector and bajaboy please show us otherwise. and acadist is spot on, tournament rules are just that,we're only interested in what the mexican LAW says.

Zac
hey lets just get to the bottom of the legal part of this and leave the moral issue aside for now.
baja boy stated "by law,each boat is allowed to keep one billfish" now you say whoa, that's just what I read on the internet. by who,bill collector?
and we're not interested in the interpretation or policies of resorts or charter operators.
it looks to me like the mexican fishing laws are simple, to the fact and fair. it sounds to me like some in the billfishing community are stretching these laws to fit they're agenda. yes/no?

No, I quoted a site off the Internet and included the web address. In other words, I sited my source. If you want to keep the moral judgements out of the conversation then feel free to not respond.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 11:43 AM

I talked to the Pesca rep this morning while cleaning my boat. He said one billfish per license per day. I personally never keep more than one a year for the smoker plus I´m part of a tag and release program.

So maybe this one per boat is a Baja thing but I doubt it as we are all in the Republic of Mexico.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 11:53 AM

personally I dont see a thing wrong with keeping one, I am sure it will go to good use, I have smoked Marlin before and its great,
as what I under stand that Marlin are not even close to being fished out
I am a believer in catch and release,
I only keep what I intend to eat, I dont waste any thing that I can help
the last time I went fishing in Cabo, we caught Marlin and nothing at all was said about 1 marlin per boat, yes they did say 1 marlin per person or license
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 12:46 PM

Interesting reading,its good to get the boys all worked up helps to get the circulation moving once again,if you want a real explosion just bring up turtles and than get the hell out of the way:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
bajaumpaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2012 at 01:06 PM

In order to find out for myself and others on this board. I just called Conapesca Comision De Acuacultura in San Diego at 619-233-4324 to ask about bag and possesion limits in Baja. I spoke with Tony. He first tolde me that the rules for Baja were thae same as for all of Mexico. He refered me to their internet sit under the sme name as above. He said that the bag and possesion limits were per angler and not per boat. I told him that 3 licensed fishermen fishing on the same boat in La Bocanna each caught and brought to shore 3 Marlin. He said that "that is totally legal under their laws. He again refered me to their website and said it was per person - not per boat. Hopoefully this will clear this up. If in doubt, give Tony a call at the3 above telephone number. Nice legal catch guys.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.