Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Dog Paperwork At The Border
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 10:56 PM

Next week I'm going to get the health certificate for my cat - I'm not taking any chances.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
"The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be required for entry into some states"

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/bringinganimaltous.html

So the border guards are enforcing state laws when they ask for a certificate.

Here's what California says:

"International Pet Importation

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats.

Please visit the CDC website for more detailed information.
"

Soooooo, following the stated rules a health certificate is not required to bring a pet into CA from Mexico.

Sooooo, the border guards are incorrectly enforcing a law that applies to state borders, not international borders

[Edited on 8-15-2013 by SFandH]

"The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats."
Last time I checked governs means they control and are responsible for the rules.

But wait, there is more :
www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html‎

Requirements for Dogs Arriving in the United States

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Proof of Rabies Vaccination

Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.

Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs

Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement (see below) and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination). Translations of CDC Form 75.37 are available upon request at U.S. ports of entry.

Bob Durrell
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 09:43 AM
Payola please

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
The cert is inexpensive.
Been asked for it at San Ysidro, Tecate and Nogales...... go figure.

Sunset Cliffs Animal Hospital does them for almost nothing.:

Not anymore! I just took the two Baja mutts in for the exam and paper work. 20 minutes and $151....and I thought dogs could bite.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 10:21 AM

I was told by Customs once that since there is still rabies in the US, there was no point in requiring proof of immunization.

Brian
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 09:57 PM

Got sent to secondary at San Luis crossing into Mex last month after reading the beginning of this thread......... Go figure never had it happen before. The Ag inspector asked for proof of rabies vac. and that was it. A few days ago I was talking to our Vet who also spends a lot of time in Mex. and he said things were going to get much tougher crossing in to Mex. as far as Ag inspectors looking for import violations. On his last crossing a few weeks ago he was asked for his dogs papers by Mex. Ag inspectors.
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 01:49 PM

Go figure. I just crossed at 11:30 am today using the Sentri pedestrain lane in Calexico the young mad in fornt of me had his small dog in his arms. No questions asked went right though...
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 03:24 PM

I made my final moving trip to Tijuana last night. In the glove compartment, I had the rabies vaccination certificate, and my cat was in his carrier on the passenger seat.

When I got to the border, I unlocked all the doors, everything was just literally "glanced over, "and when told her that I had cat, she said, "OK." I asked if she wanted to look at his proof of rabies shot, and she said, "No."

So we went on our way.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
I made my final moving trip to Tijuana last night.

Congrats, Sue. I'm glad you have that part behind you.
Time now to start living your Baja life.
Bienvenido al vecindario.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 06:26 PM

Thanks. It took me four hours to load my van with the last of my stuff. The guy that was supposed to help me didn't keep his part of the bargain. So I did everything myself with the exception of having my furniture moved by a moving company.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.