Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Kurt Caselli Killed in Baja 1000 Accident
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I know on the Tour de France the spectators are so abundant they actually interfere with the riders.

This entry may earn you the Golden Schwanstuker Award for the most irrelevant post of the year.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 06:03 PM

The latest news is that the crew recovered his bike and he might have collided with a small animal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/supercross/kurt-caselli-kille...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 06:25 PM
The Tour De France ?

Spectators were involved ?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 06:55 PM
KTM MOURNS THE LOSS OF KURT CASELLI

KTM's official statement:

----------------

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some small animal, which apparently caused the crash.

Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.

Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”

Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”

Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.

Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.

http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/all/details/ktm-mourns-t...

-----------------

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 08:25 PM

One of his last posts on his Twitter account:

kurt caselli ‏@kurtcaselli 31 Oct
This years Baja 1000 is starting at 11pm Thursday night the 14th of November. Gunna be and interesting… http://instagram.com/p/gJl4obO7YL/

Click on the link for a picture of the bike and helmet and other comments.

Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

[Edited on 11-17-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

So sad , My son lived across the street from him when he was younger and coached his baseball team . Have they checked out the web cam yet . My son heard that the front of the bike fell apart and that is why he lost control .

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 02:38 PM

I was in the area. Talked to the KTM pit. This thread is a good indication of how Baja Nomad can really screw up "information". Hope newbies don'tbelieve everything they read here.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I was in the area. Talked to the KTM pit. This thread is a good indication of how Baja Nomad can really screw up "information". Hope newbies don'tbelieve everything they read here.

As always happens, everywhere, when there is a vacume of information, people will go with what they got, be it speculation or gospel.

It's not unique to NOMADS, and it is human nature.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

As always happens, everywhere, when there is a vacume of information, people will go with what they got, be it speculation or gospel.

Barry

Do we know where the booby trap rumor got started? Perry, do you recall where you read it, as I think you were the first Nomad to report it here? Hitting a cow or coyote or deer makes it an act of Nature instead an act of 'Human Nature'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 03:44 PM

Quote:

It, unfortunately happens far too often in lots of places when ever there is a disaster, and it certainly does not mean that there are hidden agendas behind the reports as one person here indicated was the case. Most of the first reports are given in good faith and often the final answers are not available for quite some time --- not until all the information and evidence is evaluated.

Meantime, for his family and friends, it is just such a tragedy --- so young, and so sad.

Not believing everything that is posted on this forum is very good advice.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 04:04 PM

ol rts551 is always in the area, always talks to everyone, always knows it all..Same BS as last year when a rider was killed in the NORRA race..he was the expert even tho he wasnt within a 100 miles...argued with those of us who were on site...geez

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Sound a bit like Fox News:lol:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-17-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Sound a bit like Fox News:lol:

------or an Obama Press briefing!!! :lol:

Barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 08:23 AM

Quote:

Every speculative post about the incident I saw on Nomads had a link to several different RACING websites.

This rumor wasnt generated by Nomads; it came from the racing community.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Every speculative post about the incident I saw on Nomads had a link to several different RACING websites.

This rumor wasnt generated by Nomads; it came from the racing community.

I guess those would not be the people who

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

....... It is sad that those who oppose this sport resort to such stories to achieve their goals.

DEP young man and for the sake of your family, may they have answers after all of the information is gathered.

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by DianaT]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
ol rts551 is always in the area, always talks to everyone, always knows it all..Same BS as last year when a rider was killed in the NORRA race..he was the expert even tho he wasnt within a 100 miles...argued with those of us who were on site...geez

Jealous Chuck it. I am saying...quit the BS. The rumors are easy . let the investigation happen. You were not there.

way too many rumors and mis-info on this forum

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by rts551]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 05:56 PM

So, who's handling this "investigation", rts551? The local policia municipal? One of the states of Baja?

SCORE?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 09:20 PM

link: https://www.facebook.com/KurtCaselliRespect

Kurt gave his jersey to this kid what a top guy

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Jealous Chuck it. I am saying...quit the BS. The rumors are easy . let the investigation happen. You were not there.

way too many rumors and mis-info on this forum

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by rts551]

It's just chit chat about the news, sometimes rumors and theories are more interesting than facts.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-18-2013 at 11:02 PM

A top guy indeed, Ken! I'm sure that made his day and he will treasure it forever.

RIP Caselli

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.