BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Labor Day 2014: Baja Beach Get-a-way! All 3 Parts Posted!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 07:34 PM

Wonderful report DK! Living vicariously through you guys!!

carpe diem!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 10:18 PM

Thanks... now if there is a way to get me into Baja more than a couple times a year... and I always share!!??

I am hoping for some changes that will allow me to share more, the many off-the-beaten-path wonders Baja has to offer!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 10:26 PM

The wife and I ALMOST pulled the trigger on heading back to shell island for Labor Day. Couldnt do it because I was afraid of the heat at night. I get so frustrated at night if I'm hot. Hahaha. How cool did it get out there in the envenings?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deanfootlong
The wife and I ALMOST pulled the trigger on heading back to shell island for Labor Day. Couldnt do it because I was afraid of the heat at night. I get so frustrated at night if I'm hot. Hahaha. How cool did it get out there in the envenings?

They were nice... sure, a bit warm early on (we kept about 8-10 feet from the camp fire)... But, sleeping was easy and we got chilly enough in the early morning before dawn to pull a blanket over us in addition to just the sheet we had until then. Wow, the stars were great as the moon was small... and in the early morning of Sunday, the air was so clear we saw stars down to the horizon. No haze at all! Saw a few high, tiny satellites on a polar orbit when we looked away from the fire before bed.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Great trip report and photos David. Even though Audrey and I don't camp any more, we still enjoy the reports from those who still do. Looks like you had a great time!!

Thanks Bob!

You know if you guys need to get onto Shell Island, you can always hop in back of my Tacoma... like 10 years ago...

:light:

Hah! 2004 President's Day weekend Matomi run! Wow, 10 years have passed.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great trip report and photos David. Even though Audrey and I don't camp any more, we still enjoy the reports from those who still do. Looks like you had a great time!!

Thanks Bob!

You know if you guys need to get onto Shell Island, you can always hop in back of my Tacoma... like 10 years ago...

:light:

Hah! 2004 President's Day weekend Matomi run! Wow, 10 years have passed.

That was a great group camp-out! The first one of Baja Nomads... Previously we were all Amigos de Baja. That forum ended in 2003, and Baja Nomad new forums began in 2002 and has carried us on ever since! Thanks Doug!

From 2004 (Shell Island Saturday, Nuevo Mazatlan camp, and Matomi Oasis Sunday):
(Many of these photos are from Bob H's camera)...

Mike Humfreville chats with Chris ('Via Baja')

Tunaeater (Paul)

Surfer Jim...

Edie H, Mary, & Pat (Mrs. Mexray)

Mexray cooks some JiffyPop popcorn over the campfire.

David K chatting with Pat (who was enjoying a fine Caribbean cigar)

Suzanne (GeoRock) and her cigar.

We meet TW (Tom) on Sunday morning.

I was indeed thinner 10 years ago!

Having a geologist along is great for an educated tour... Thanks Suzanne ('GeoRock')!

Mike Humfreville in Parral's cardon forest.

The world famous Matomi falls!

Photo from GeoRock's automatic camera at Rancho Matomi.
From the left: Bob H & Audrey, MaryAnn & Mike Humfreville, Pat & MexRay,
Steve & Edie H, David K, GeoRock & Pete, Bill W & TW.
On the Hummer: Alicia, Sarah, Brittany. In front: Surfer Jim (+Shelby the wonder dog).
Tunaeater & Rudy left before photo taken

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 06:44 PM

Dave, you are my hero! Don't know how you deal with the heat and humidity! As you know, we've been there during all 12 months. Just can 't sleep at night. The fans in the house just push hot humid air over you. As you mentioned, the place is deserted. I even think the Lopez's stay in town with AC. Chris
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:06 PM

LOL... it was really nice and coolish after midnight. You can't sleep indoors in the summer. Like in L.A. Bay in the 60's, sleep on a cot outside of your room, under the stars. Our new tent has big screen windows all around, so not too bad. If it was me alone, I would sleep under the stars on the beach. Baja Angel prefers to be inside a tent, or in the bed of my truck if it is a quick overnight stop somewhere. I don't know what in the world she thinks is crawling around at night, in the desert?

:lol:

[Edited on 9-11-2014 by David K]

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Sure... the road to the island is not too rough or bouncy, and you can always drive it slow.

The pucker part of getting on the island is when it is an island and you drive through the sea water and mud to get on the beach! See the tide chart for when you will be there on the San Felipe web site, weather/ tides page http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx If it is over 18 foot high (around full or new moon phases), the water will be on the mud flats that are dry in my photos from last weekend.

Here is the access road taken during one of those high tides:

It really is an island!

In July, 2011, Art (edm1) tried to drive his 4WD (with front and rear lockers) motorhome onto the beach... and the mud was just too slippery for his tires and the weight stuck him. The fisherman at the nearby shack was there with his truck and pulled Art's beast out of the mud.

Out at Hwy. 5, edm1 is a happy camper!

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by David K]

David, hola!

Thinking back on that day, we pulled my motorhome to the WRONG direction. The CORRECT way would have been FORWARD, across the water into the that paradise beach.

[Edited on 10-17-2014 by edm1]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 09:11 AM

Hi Art... I think it was better to get you away from the water and beach then! You had a fun trip to La Paz after that day!

Over on Tacoma World, they are still marveling at your first 4WD van/motorhome photos going to Mission Santa Maria and Shell Island!

Let's get together sometime, when the tide isn't so high... or at your home in California!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 07:42 AM

Another great report. I like your style of camping. Less is more.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.