Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: outboard motors?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 07:17 PM
Welcome jake the Dog LOL !!

BTW a etec has 190 less parts than a four stroke !!! and a wankel is a 1/3 stroke motor..Thats three (3) power strokes for one (1) revoulation.......anyone here ever seen a Yanmar Diesel outboard ???

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by captkw]
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 08:38 PM

Talk to Madza owners about the longevity of a wankel. I have a good friend who is a senior executive at Madza, he doesn't like to talk about wankels. They are lucky to get 60,000 miles on an RX8 motor and that is about as advanced as a wankel gets. Put it in a salt water environment and it may last a week.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 09:17 PM
wankels

by far the fastest car I ever owned was a RX3 ate us muscle cars for lunch...the 1982 corvette was "slated" to have a rotary But, alas GM could not make it happen..My self always have thought a little oil in the gas would help the apex seals last lot longer...think like a 2 stroke..anyway the wankel does have a lot of strong points and is very misunderstood...I find it Amazing that we are still stuck on piston !!! after this many years ???? I want warp 3 drives !!!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 03:19 PM

Captkw. I don't sell anything and I'm not attempting to trash the reputation of Evinrude or Etecs and you're a dick to suggest that. I personally own, right now, a 2000 Johnson 115 2-stroke, a 2001 Evinrude 250 Ram Injection 2-stroke, and a Nissan 9.8 four stroke. If you are an honest and intelligent and skilled mechanic how can you possibly say that the EMMs on etecs do not fail? Seriously? And an RX3 that ate muscle cars? What year/model muscle car? That's an awful big statement for a "professional" mechanic.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 03:25 PM

Dude...I did a single yahoo search for "etec failed emm" and an entire page full of reports of failures came up. Not only do you suck as a mechanic but you suck at searching the internet. :-) I'd like to know what your reasons are for dissing all the current four stroke manufacturers. Obviously you have some motive for doing this.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:00 PM

A couple of questions for our online Capt/mechanic, lets say we have a 2 stroke Merc. o/b 1998 model, computer injected with all the bells and whistles, pushing a 1000 lb boat, and we also have the same model motor but a 4 stroke pushing the same vessel. Which motor will burn more fuel ? And approximately how much is the difference in fuel consumption?? The reason I ask, is that a couple weeks back we went out to Santa Catalina Island from Los Alamitos Bay. We took on 120 gallons of 87 octane. Bayliner Trophy 25', cuddy cabin, with center console and 5, 200 lbs adults with all our gear. We spent the day out there, did a 360* of the island. By the time we got back to Avalon { our starting point at the isl.} we needed fuel. W.T.F. Why so much fuel consumption ?? Would a four stroke suck up so much fuel ?? also would it
be as powerful ???

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by luv2fish]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:13 PM

I was a Suzuki motorcycle dealer, and we HAD to take 2 of the Suzuki Rotaries....Had to almost give them away, and when we saw the owners pull into the shop evryone went and hid....

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:13 PM

Mazda has redesigned the rotary engine and is going to reintroduce it in 2016.

http://www.icarreview.com/mazda-will-produce-new-wankel-rota...

The old wankel engine kicked butt on my 1968 Dodge Dart Swinger with the 340 CI engine. My car was very fast but sort of at the bottom end of the muscle car lineup.

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by 55steve]
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Dude...I did a single yahoo search for "etec failed emm" and an entire page full of reports of failures came up. Not only do you suck as a mechanic but you suck at searching the internet. :-) I'd like to know what your reasons are for dissing all the current four stroke manufacturers. Obviously you have some motive for doing this.

Not being picky Doug but failed EMM's seems to be an issue regardless of brand. I did a search for failed Yamaha EMM and there's plenty as well.

ETec or Yamaha, I'm happy with either one!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 04:32 PM
4 strokes

today spent 3 hrs on a 2004 Honda 90 removing the gear case to diagnose failed reverse gear (dog clutch) any way it should not have taken that much time.. just not the best design imo....I was working at 7/11 till last week and decided to become a mechanic !! still trying to pour coffee in the oil !!! Get a GRIP !!! any/all ecm can have a issue..but its almost rare !! same as car motor's !! they seldom fail and are diagnosed by wanna be techs as the problem...one company that does my rework swears 90 percent of ecms sent to them are fine !!! its called prom for the most part !!! so far this season not one bad ecm for me !!:cool:

[Edited on 9-21-2014 by captkw]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 05:52 PM

Hey Steve. I'm in no way a 2-stroke, OMC, BRP hater. Captain mechanic dude just peeed me off and he deserved a response. Like I said, I would love to buy an etec but my Evinrude DI just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, my 250 is previous gen tech but an honest search of the web finds plenty of recent examples. And I've never met any other outboard owner from any other manufacturer with dead EMMs. Sure, I guess they may happen. I've met and spoken to and emailed several people with dead BRP Emms. But we hope for the best, right. My concern since I'm often floating miles out to sea in the Cortez is there is no one to save my butt. In US waters I have my towing insurance and they've saved me with my dead Evinrude EMM twice. See ya at the bay.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Hey Steve. I'm in no way a 2-stroke, OMC, BRP hater. Captain mechanic dude just peeed me off and he deserved a response. Like I said, I would love to buy an etec but my Evinrude DI just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, my 250 is previous gen tech but an honest search of the web finds plenty of recent examples. And I've never met any other outboard owner from any other manufacturer with dead EMMs. Sure, I guess they may happen. I've met and spoken to and emailed several people with dead BRP Emms. But we hope for the best, right. My concern since I'm often floating miles out to sea in the Cortez is there is no one to save my butt. In US waters I have my towing insurance and they've saved me with my dead Evinrude EMM twice. See ya at the bay.

Over 90% of the time EMM/ECM failure is related voltage variation and poor grounds/connections. Heat is also a killer on electronic components.

May be headed down in a couple weeks - not taking the boat down, just some gear to shore fish and plenty of cleaning supplies!

[Edited on 9-22-2014 by 55steve]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 06:59 PM
To 55Steve

Your correct !! its not usally the ecm falt..bad grounds,,bad cooling, high/low voltage is something they don't like...have had guys bring me their boat after all kinds of part replacement and the main issue was never dealt with in the first place !! and you MUST have the proper test tools !! and the "knack" to know what to look for !!..sorry, but its not on you tube...unless you want to throw your cash out on the water !!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 07:47 AM

that's just NOT true...

it's on youtube

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 08:04 AM
marine motors and YT

Hola BOB..Don't you remember my post last year about you tube and air plane repair ??? my self have seen you tube vids and blogs about marine motor repair and almost pee my pants at the crap that is there...tell ya what bob....watch a YT vid and do that to your outboard..I/O and report back:o or better yet have Doug work on it...LOL:lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-22-2014 at 08:05 AM

Just bought a used 16' Grumman Cajun Special, all welded aluminum jon boat with a tiller pull start 25 hp mercury motor and trailer. Ideal for running the bayous. Will put an aluminum deck plate on the bow for a trolling motor. Look out fish! Thanks for all the outboard motor info.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 09:35 AM
motors

Sorry for the late reply...work,,work.....Luv2fish..a four stroke as of today is better on sipping fuel..I think that will change in the near future !! Chukie.your a rasskle rabbit..the Suzuki RE5 was a bad ass machine from the two that I have seen from big time bike riders..Also had a Gyro effect in the curves....And does anyone Know the loser from Fullerton named Doug/vamonos that's seems to be sitting on a stick ????? never have I Heard such a FOOL!! Thanks all for helping each other in this big,bad storm.......K&T
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 09:38 AM

OK

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Sorry for the late reply...work,,work.....Luv2fish..a four stroke as of today is better on sipping fuel..I think that will change in the near future !! Chukie.your a rasskle rabbit..the Suzuki RE5 was a bad burro machine from the two that I have seen from big time bike riders..Also had a Gyro effect in the curves....And does anyone Know the loser from Fullerton named Doug/vamonos that's seems to be sitting on a stick ????? never have I Heard such a FOOL!! Thanks all for helping each other in this big,bad storm.......K&T

Settle down Capt! I know Doug personally and he certainly is no fool.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 02:08 PM
Hola 55steve

sounds like are friend Doug has a Ficht motor !! That's all I need to say !! LOL.. BTW you have great posts !! and BMW did make a I/O !! didn't sell worth ---t:tumble:
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.