Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Warning to Baja vets
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
There is a part of my primordial brain that knows all about that sound.

That is a fact. I was clearing brush when I was a kid years ago in the Sierra foothills northeast of Oroville CA and nearly stepped on a rattler coiled at the base of a young scrub oak. When that rattle went off, I instinctively jumped backwards, off of one foot, and landed on my back about six feet away, did a backwards somersault and ran another six feet, smack into a tree. That embedded fear and a good dose of adrenalin can make you an Olympic athlete, but your aim might not be so hot.

you should hear that snake relating that story to his snake buddy's around the campfire! :lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 08:26 PM

:P:P:P:o

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Working in the high desert we have the most venomous rattler in America, AKA Mojave Green. Supposedly aggressive and doesn't always broadcast its location. You know it's there when it bites you! Oh, and the occasional Sidewinder. So far none, hopefully it stays that way for the next 5-6 weeks!
I used to camp in Jawbone canyon.22 of us around campfire,Mojave Green came. Within 7/10ft of campfire at night,12 gauge Gone NO MAS.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Working in the high desert we have the most venomous rattler in America, AKA Mojave Green. Supposedly aggressive and doesn't always broadcast its location. You know it's there when it bites you! Oh, and the occasional Sidewinder. So far none, hopefully it stays that way for the next 5-6 weeks!
I used to camp in Jawbone canyon.22 of us around campfire,Mojave Green came. Within 7/10ft of campfire at night,12 gauge Gone NO MAS.

go git em. Only good rattler is a dead rattler. long wit injuns.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 09:40 AM

If your referring to me as, long wit injun NERDY . I would expect anything from our Resident Nature N-zi. Your only worthless posts,are to disrupt off road forms. That is fine, Its my pleasure to bring to attention what you are NERDY. Still a control freak,with dippers needing change. Give a rest NERDY, If you don't have anything good to say.Witch you never do in off road forums. You will be called out.You and your two other sit in chair,talkers no nothing. :?:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 09:46 AM

HUH?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 09:54 AM

It should be easy to understand Chuckie. Nerdy never has anything good to say about off road people. Since I'm;) pro off road,I will address him.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Of course there is your dog running around without boots and pants (at least mine won't wear his pants).

Take your pooches to rattle snake avoidance training. Its effective
MT You are beyond help,are you just plain stupid.Or just live in your backyard in SD. I wish the snake I dont kill,keeps you company.The Market across the street,had one inside,with two kids in there. Next door baby rattler in house,with 3 kids in there. Do you post,just to be seen.As no nothing, You should just go under a rock in Baja. I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.
Don't kill snakes, relocate them to an uninhabited remote area if you are worried about them. It's easy to do, just scoop them into a trash can or a cooler and take them for a little ride.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 01:00 PM

Good idea!

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 01:01 PM

Mono, relocating wildlife is not necessarily a better solution than killing them. Placing snakes into a new area without appropriate den sites or resources can mean that they slowly die of exposure, starvation, or other causes, which may be crueler in the end.

Managing your property to discourage snakes from taking up residence in the first place is the best solution. (obviously this may not apply to ranch/large acreage owners)

Also, encouraging people to handle venomous snakes without experience/training/when they're not comfortable with it is maybe not the best idea.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.

It seems to me that indiscriminate killing of rattlesnakes or any native wildlife is incredibly stupid and senseless. Hopefully more people will comment on this thread.
So another knuckle head,that does not live in Baja.Thinks rattlers are good,We dont kill them unless.There in our way.Let me ask you this. If your Child,God for give.Was about to be bit by a rattler,would you post this.:bounce:

So, I have to admit that I got my back up a bit when you posted about running over every snake you see. When I was researching for my trip to Baja I was interested in seeing a rattlesnake so came across a video of a guy chopping the head off a six or seven foot diamondback rattlesnake then proudly showing the severed head to the camera. Not too cool as far as I was concerned. Anyway, you got called stupid and in return I got called a knucklehead, probably not something either one of us needs.

From the few replies it looks like it is best to scare off or kill any rattlers near your home or camp and leave them alone (maybe even drive around them on the road) when in wild areas. And it seems reasonable and necessary to control them on the ranch. I grew up on cattle ranches in SE British Columbia and it was a constant battle to keep the gopher numbers down . Unfortunately their burrows left mounds in the hayfields and damaged the equipment at harvest time. I have shot hundreds or maybe thousands of gophers when I was kid, something I didn't think much about at the time. Many if not most country folk where I grew up also killed badgers, skunks and porcupine on sight. There were plenty of badgers around in the seventies and eighties but now they are critically endangered in BC.

I did a bit of research and found out that between one thousand and eight thousand people are bitten by rattlesnakes each year in the US which is really quite a lot. Between five and fifteen of these people die, which is about one tenth to three tenths of one percent of those bitten. Lightning kills at least three times as many people in the US though.

In BC where I live two or three people are bitten every year by rattlesnakes, which are found in one small area of the province.. They are also much less venomous than the southern US snakes(not sure how venomous the Baja rattler is). Here the rattlers are not endangered but are on the provincial blue list because of habitat loss and many people killing them on site. In the area where there are rattlers there is also the large(diamondback size) non venomous gopher snake. It is basically harmless to people but they are also on the blue list because of habitat loss and people mistaking them for rattlers and killing them.

It was also interesting to find out that most or all of the rattlesnakes in the southern US and Mexico are not threatened even though so many are killed by people.

[Edited on 3-22-2016 by seasider]
I have known several people who were bitten by rattle snakes, all but one of them were bitten because they were trying to handle them or show off. They are an important part of the desert ecosystem and there is no need to kill them, diamond backs are not overly aggressive and can easily be relocated. I lived for 15 years on a ranch in BCS where we had rattle snake encounters quite often, I have relocated hundreds of them, also had dogs and cattle that seemed to somehow learn not to mess with them, because none of them ever got bit.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Mono, relocating wildlife is not necessarily a better solution than killing them. Placing snakes into a new area without appropriate den sites or resources can mean that they slowly die of exposure, starvation, or other causes, which may be crueler in the end.

Managing your property to discourage snakes from taking up residence in the first place is the best solution. (obviously this may not apply to ranch/large acreage owners)

Also, encouraging people to handle venomous snakes without experience/training/when they're not comfortable with it is maybe not the best idea.
It is very easy and safe to lay down a plastic trash can and move the snake into it with a stick or a shovel. It's complete BS that they are somehow better off dead than relocated to another area.

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 01:22 PM

I didn't say they were always "better off dead", but plenty of research shows that relocation is not the easy, happy solution people think it is (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140212164317.h... for one example). Relocating them to another part of your property within their home range would probably not harm them, but I don't think many people are willing to keep them around.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 02:06 PM

were all 22 full-on losers?
wow

"ohhhh no, the nasty snake is out to get me" (or tell me to bite the nasty apple :lol::lol:)
pathetic
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 02:38 PM

Another Green brainless looser. Question BeZZELESS, what you gonna do about it. The other poster mono,Its very easy to lay down plastic trash can move the snake.Be real hard when hiking or biking.Anytime kids are there,at night Mojave green is a threat. It will be history . You don't like it, that is just too bad. One kid,dog or cat bit by rattler is one too many. Its easy for you Arm chair talkers. On your reports from All over but Baja ,Mexico.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 03:02 PM

Ratllesnakes aint much different, no matter where they are..The ones we had in Loma Azul (mulege) would bite just like the ones in Texas, Arizona, Kansas, anywhere...Why do you think they are diiferent? Just because they are in Baja? Ours here in Kansas even speak Spanish, cuz I hear the Mexican cowboys talking to them..."Chinga Tu Madre" (pistol shot)

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 03:11 PM

BTR, ENOUGH with the name-calling already. I'm mostly on your side with the snake theory, but your belligerence outshines your intellect (or lack thereof). If you're gonna call someone a 'loser', at least lern how to spel it furst. When you use the term 'Green' derogatorily you're insulting half the people on this board. Stay as Brown as you want to, Big Bad Biker Boy. Just work on your middle-school essay skills, willya?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 03:13 PM

Another Green brainless looser. Question BeZZELESS, what you gonna do about it. The other poster mono,Its very easy to lay down plastic trash can move the snake.Be real hard when hiking or biking.Anytime kids are there,at night Mojave green is a threat. It will be history . You don't like it, that is just too bad. One kid,dog or cat bit by rattler is one too many. Its easy for you Arm chair talkers. On your reports from All over but Baja ,Mexico.

You keep making these accusations that no one else lives in Baja. In reality many have lived there for a long time. They just have another opinion.

4 months out of the year I am in Arizona which has a lot of rattlesnakes, including the Mojave green. It is generally recommended to leave the snake alone. They do not like people or large animals and will leave; keep your yard free of pests/rodents and do not provide them with living quarters. If there is a problem snake that insists on staying around, relocate it to an unpopulated area.

for educational value I have included the following information.
http://ifnaturecouldtalk.com/more-on-relocating-rattlesnakes...

And its not necessary to challenge everyone to a fight who disagrees. Sometimes you might learn something.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 03:17 PM

Snake heaven has a very low population...(just sayin)

[Edited on 3-23-2016 by chuckie]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2016 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
BTR, ENOUGH with the name-calling already. I'm mostly on your side with the snake theory, but your belligerence outshines your intellect (or lack thereof). If you're gonna call someone a 'loser', at least lern how to spel it furst. When you use the term 'Green' derogatorily you're insulting half the people on this board. Stay as Brown as you want to, Big Bad Biker Boy. Just work on your middle-school essay skills, willya?

Thank you for this!
This is a subject that could be discussed and debated with a lot of difference in opinion, but the name calling is ridiculous.

Because someone disagrees with Bajatrailrider does not make them a loser.

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.