BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Abandoned Stone Building & Adobe near San Miguel?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 12:37 PM

Thank you for your input Fishbuck....Lotta good cowboys come out of Alberta!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Hi all. I find David's statement about things in Baja being lost to history to be partly true. San Quintin area is a good example.
I also find it somewhat baffling that soo many nomads pile on to insult and criticize David K.
He tries to provide info to people here. And sometimes he includes some insight. Why attack him for that. I appreciare his candor and those of the others who contribute.
I now live in Everett WA and the library here is full of historical info. I can tell you the name of the very 1st settler and the natives of that time.
In contrast. I know personally the person who is the direct hier to a family that owned the entire San Quintin valley and still own a sizeable chunk.
Yet the history of the area is very vague and hard to find.
The locals don't care. Most of them anyway. You can't eat history.

Visit the museum out next to the restaurant Old Mill.

http://baja.com/san-quintin/san-quintin-museum-an-interestin...

[Edited on 6-24-2016 by rts551]
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 12:05 PM
Not a problem . . .

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
This forum is supposed to be about Baja, but here we are, arguing politics!

What's that....all you wanted was information about some remote Baja buildings?

I apologize, and hope some one is still willing to add any useful info to this out of control thread.

Well it sure won't be the first thread that went wildly off-topic . . . and it won't be the last (at least here)! ;)

Thanks to all the repliers, especially those that had some new info to offer. Feel free to update if you find out anything more. I have some more detailed pics on another harddrive I need to resurrect. The inscription on the cistern had some names IIRC.

It's such a great place, and for all those lucky enough to have camped on the beach near there, it may be a while before we can drive there again!

Although I personally am pretty much diametrically opposed to many of David K's political and societal views, he has been very generous with me in providing detailed ECR maps and was an excellent host at his Viva Baja events years ago. He seems to be a genuinely nice person . . . and our views are only as good as our source (hopefully SOURCES) of information.

I've found that just because I like Baja exploration, offroading, and photography, I won't necessarily find common cause with everyone who shares these passions . . . in fact, I rarely do!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:49 PM

Have we met at a Viva Baja event or other place?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 02:20 PM

Yes David, Annie and I attended two of your Viva Baja events some years ago . . . and we once met again at Kim's place in El Rosario when you happened by. That was several years ago too . . . how time flies!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by salttram  
Yes David, Annie and I attended two of your Viva Baja events some years ago . . . and we once met again at Kim's place in El Rosario when you happened by. That was several years ago too . . . how time flies!

Wonderful... yes I remember all three times! Many are still here but don't post as much as in the past.
Oh great that you are here on Nomad sharing the adventure side of Baja!!!
Did you ever get around to hiking El Camino Real?

Viva Baja #4 in 2003.

Viva Baja #3 in 2002.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Hi all. I find David's statement about things in Baja being lost to history to be partly true. San Quintin area is a good example.
I also find it somewhat baffling that soo many nomads pile on to insult and criticize David K.
He tries to provide info to people here. And sometimes he includes some insight. Why attack him for that. I appreciare his candor and those of the others who contribute.
I now live in Everett WA and the library here is full of historical info. I can tell you the name of the very 1st settler and the natives of that time.
In contrast. I know personally the person who is the direct hier to a family that owned the entire San Quintin valley and still own a sizeable chunk.

Thank you. I was unaware that a museum was opened. Haven't been to the old mill area since 2011.
A side note. The heir's family of which I mentioned sold the Los Pinos people their land. I think his grandfather did. The grandfather owed the entire valley at 1 time.

[Edited on 6-29-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 07:16 AM

Thank you. I was unaware that a museum was opened. Haven't been to the old mill area since 2011.
A side note. The heir's family of which I mentioned sold the Los Pinos people their land. I think his grandfather did. The grandfather owed the entire valley at 1 time.

You will find quiet a bit of early valley history there including a pre-Los Pinos plot map that I donated. (it shows close to Santa Maria a spring fed fresh water lake that is long gone). The old timers remember it as a swimming hole.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:36 AM

Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for this area?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:42 AM

Are you talking about GPS for the stone buildings or the Old Mil?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 11:05 AM

"You will find quiet a bit of early valley history there including a pre-Los Pinos plot map that I donated. (it shows close to Santa Maria a spring fed fresh water lake that is long gone). The old timers remember it as old swimming hole."

I think I have seen that map. Or a similar one. And that water hole may still be there in a form. I noticed it when looking behind the Santa Maria Hotel. It's sort of a canal that runs through Los Pinos and a retaining pond.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 04:18 PM

Does the name Rafael Orendien or the family name (also spelled) Orendein sound familiar?

In The 1969 Airports of Baja, Arnold Senterfitt writes that family was granted all of the San Quintin Valley, and the area near Cielito Lindo and the El Presidente (now Misión Santa María) Hotel was the last slice of land owned by the Orendein Family and Rafael has a hotel under construction on it (1969). This was on the airport runway named Playa de Oro, just south of the Cielito Lindo/ Rancho de la Mañana runway.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 05:30 PM

Rafael Orendain

http://www.ensenada.net/historia/vallesq-2.php

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Rafael Orendain

http://www.ensenada.net/historia/vallesq-2.php

Thanks Harald...

Here's the English of the part that involves Rafael Orendain:

On March 12, 1947 Lic. Miguel Aleman gives the family of Rafael Orendain 130,000 hectares covering the Valle de San Quintin and the old ranch Santo Domingo, this was the affectation of properties of this family in the state of Jalisco .

1st. December 1974 Luis Echeverría opens the road transpeninsular Benito Juarez coming to change the future of the entire peninsula.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 05:34 PM

Yep

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 06:37 PM

more here:
http://www.elvigia.net/el-valle/2014/1/19/repatriados-147435...

Harald Pietschmann
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 06:53 PM

Awesome. Seems as though by default BajaNomad is the "library" of alot of Baja history.
Sorrry I sort of hijacked the thread and turned it toward San Quintin.
We'll figure out those San Miguel buildings eventually. Does San Miguel have a museum?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 07:56 PM

no museum for San Miguel

the amount of work and the accuracy indicated Mina el Boleo
since none of the locals had the entrepreneurial spirit to produce enough food for the mine workers in Santa Rosalia, the mine operators eventually started producing food after shipping it in from mainland for a long time.

I know of:
Las Lagunas close to Santa Ana
27°38'40.76"N, 112°39'11.95"W
San Marcos Tierra and San Bruno Tierra
27° 6'2.01"N, 112° 3'25.43"W
San Bruno
27° 9'33.70"N, 112° 9'48.69"W
El Rincon
27° 6'58.00"N, 112° 4'23.31"W
El Mezquital
27° 5'53.70"N, 112° 4'10.00"W
El Caracol
27°41'37.07"N, 112°42'53.06"W

the way the pilas and water canals are constructed points to European engineering, the buildings are wooden and the same style as in Santa Rosalia

I'll look for some pics

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:45 PM

unedited - no captions (yet):
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Las-Lagunas-y-El-C...

Harald Pietschmann
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 05:31 AM

Well now I'm just going to HAVE to check out El Caracol . . . thanks Harald, more fresh meat . . .

[Edited on 6-30-2016 by salttram]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.