Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Stupid FMM ?
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 04:28 PM

now INM officials are considering a 90 day waiting period between 180 day tourist permits.....things are changing!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
now INM officials are considering a 90 day waiting period between 180 day tourist permits.....things are changing!

Makes sense. No tourist needs back-to-back 180-day stays. Fmm is single-entry permit for short-term stay, like tourists. If you live there semi-permanently, perhaps you are not a tourist, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2020 at 08:05 PM

It is of some irritation to Mex IMM that the continual back to back
180 day fmm's that have been available, of course they could
change that tomorrow. Wonder if there would any push back from
the Tourist industry in Mex if a 90 time period between fmm's
was the reg? I've glanced at the temp resident program, can't
remember what the cost is?
Imagine one would need an address in Mex

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Makes sense. No tourist needs back-to-back 180-day stays. Fmm is single-entry permit for short-term stay, like tourists. If you live there semi-permanently, perhaps you are not a tourist, eh?

That's the thing... it isn't just tourists using them but people who live in Mexico too, in homes they own or places they rent. I read of them (on Facebook pages) saying they need to run up to the border to get another one as the 180 days is almost up.

As for actual tourists using them... If they take a weekend to week-long trip, once a month, then they only need to stop for the process twice a year to possess a valid FMM.
Since I watched multiple U.S. plated cars crossing the border without stopping (when I was getting a new FMM), that must be how others are traveling? (LOL):wow:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I've glanced at the temp resident program, can't
remember what the cost is?
Imagine one would need an address in Mex

It's not just the cost, but plenty of documents to submit and forms to fill, plus a few trips to INM office, because they can't activate your resident status right at the border like they do in some other countries.

Fees 2020:
Consulate fee $US 50
RT fee
One year $4,271 pesos
Two years $6,400 pesos
Three years $8,106 pesos
Four years $9,607 pesos

First RT must be for 1 year only. $50 + 1 year RT +3 years, ~ 700 bucks total.

You don't need Mex address to start the process, I don't remember if they ask for some address later.

[Edited on 2-17-2020 by Alm]
Don Pisto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 01:39 PM

JMO mind you.....but I don't understand why mexico cares if you choose to reside with a tourist permit. the steep financial requirements exclude a ton of ex-pats that are well healed yet don't quite qualify yet mexico still reaps the benefits of not only the $30 every 6 months and knowing who's in their country but the ton of dough going into their economy.......bring back the amnesty program of a few years ago with no financial requirements would also be a great start:coolup:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 04:20 PM

the steep financial requirements {for RT} exclude a ton of ex-pats that are well healed yet don't quite qualify

People getting less than $1,900 total monthly retirement income for a married couple can hardly be called "well healed". For a single person it's more difficult because the amount is about the same.
Don Pisto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
the steep financial requirements {for RT} exclude a ton of ex-pats that are well healed yet don't quite qualify

People getting less than $1,900 total monthly retirement income for a married couple can hardly be called "well healed". For a single person it's more difficult because the amount is about the same.

well obviously your idea of well heeled and mine don't jive....average ex-pat on SS gets around $1500 a month, live in an oceanfront home for $600 or $700 a month and the rest goes into the mexican economy, that should be enough to legally live in mexico (IMO), now add a bank account of 30K and you still don't qualify??
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 05:18 PM

$1,500 a month = 3,000 per couple. Enough to qualify.

Bank account 30K is the requirement to be used instead of income, not to "add".

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 05:34 PM

JMO mind you.....but I don't understand why mexico cares if you choose to reside with a tourist permit. the steep financial requirements exclude a ton of ex-pats that are well healed yet don't quite qualify yet mexico still reaps the benefits of not only the $30 every 6 months and knowing who's in their country but the ton of dough going into their economy.......bring back the amnesty program of a few years ago with no financial requirements would also be a great start:coolup:

we can hope....but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another amnesty program...but you never know!:P
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 05:58 PM

Married couple in baja mexico making 1900 usd per month is doing pretty well, I would call that on the upper side of middle class.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
It says right on the FMM that it is valid for one time use.

Where? I am looking at my stamped FMM with an entry date of 22 Dec 2019 and cannot find any text that reads that the FMM is valid for one one entry or only one time use.

I may have missed it.

[Edited on 2-16-2020 by Mr. Bills]

Look right on the back of your card. The very first line under the word IMPORTANT "During your stay in Mexico you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country".

[Edited on 2-18-2020 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Married couple in baja mexico making 1900 usd per month is doing pretty well, I would call that on the upper side of middle class.

Upper middle class of Mexico maybe. The argument - if you read previous messages - was about well healed expats making 1500 each and can't qualify. There is no such thing yet. If it's a couple with 3K total, they qualify and if it's a single guy/gal, he is not really well healed, not in the US. With the expenses of 2 homes I doubt he could live like a Mexican upper middle class, either. Again, for a low-income person there is an option to show 27K-32K savings instead. It's not too bad yet but it's getting worse.

It should be 1,600 income (2,100 per couple) or 27K savings, but INM screwed up and didn't make reference to UMA amounts in their Act so the consulates are using minimum wages instead, those are rising every year.

[Edited on 2-18-2020 by Alm]
Don Pisto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...but INM screwed up and didn't make reference to UMA amounts in their Act so the consulates are using minimum wages instead,
In my experience, many government fees and amounts in Mexico are based on minimum wages; what's an "UMA" and why should they use it rather than their internal standard?
:?:

BTW, someone is "well healed" from surgery, nothing to do with money. :spingrin:

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-residency-minimum-wage-vs...
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  

. . . I am looking at my stamped FMM with an entry date of 22 Dec 2019 and cannot find any text that reads that the FMM is valid for one one entry or only one time use.

I may have missed it.

Look on the back of your card . . . "During your stay in Mexico you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country".

Thank you. I did miss it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 11:30 AM

"Surrender it" to any official... This happens at airports when you fly out from Mexico.

There is no "surrendering" as you drive out of Mexico. You do not drive through a Mexican exit station where you could surrender it, if you wanted to.

These forms are created in Mexico City by bureaucrats who obviously only think of tourists flying into Mexico.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 04:52 PM

... if the intention is to make sure that immigrating foreigners are positive contributors to the economy by having high incomes relative to the local workforce, it might actually make more sense to use minimum wages as the criterion.

What bureaucrats are thinking, is a mystery.
I believe income of any US or Canadian retiree is higher than average wages of local Mex workforce. More expat retirees - more positive contribution.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2020 at 08:06 PM

[More expat retirees - more positive contribution.

True. And the more local wage-earners get priced out of the housing market by foreign capital.

It's two-edged, and I'm still trying to figure out whether the gains outweigh the other side.
:?:

Gringos (and their developers) and other rich/elites have ruined all the nice beaches. Walls, fences, closed roads.
Thankfully, in usa we have vast swaths of public lands and beaches... though the rich are constantly trying to fence the public beaches and privatize the public lands.

Woke!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2020 at 07:10 PM

Locals are priced out of the housing market by foreign capital all over the US and Canada - especially Canada, with influx of Chinese capital in the last 25-30 years. Prices are disproportional to local wages, except for places where nobody wants to live - and even this is changing.

Mexicans have already done a good job fencing off the coast where they could, much fewer public beaches and parks than in the US.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.