Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 11:27 AM

I justed talked to cousin Martin Arce in rosalillita and he will have some tasty flakes of hay waiting for Don Kay when they arrive there and give me a call on his cell to let us know he go there...thanks for that DK.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 12:19 PM

Weather report please for travel area. It has been a bit breezy with cool nites in mid fifties down here. Must be a bit cooler. By the way, why is he traveling so fast in one of the nicest areas? Does he need to finish in Cabo around a certain date? Tambien, was there a full route map posted back in this story?? I would like to get together with friends for a little Hospitalidad here in Pescadero!!:wow::bounce: Tio
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Weather report please for travel area. It has been a bit breezy with cool nites in mid fifties down here. Must be a bit cooler. By the way, why is he traveling so fast in one of the nicest areas? Does he need to finish in Cabo around a certain date? Tambien, was there a full route map posted back in this story?? I would like to get together with friends for a little Hospitalidad here in Pescadero!!:wow::bounce: Tio
No... but he is passing through LORETO. He has a home there. there was an interest in using El Camino Real south from San Ignacio.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:20 PM
Nov. 30, 2010: Punta Maria

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 14 miles today and have set up camp at a rancho near the driveway to Punta Maria.

I will total up the November miles traveled... stay tuned!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:26 PM

WOW!!!! It's tough to 'smell the roses' at the pace he is setting for himself, and company. He is on a marathon, it seems to me.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:43 PM
NOVEMBER REPORT

On Nov. 1 Mike began his day 3 miles south of Colonia Vicente Guerrero (12 miles north of San Quintin).

The miles are from point to point and estimated, not included are side trips, etc.

11-1: 12 mi. (arrive near San Quintin Bay rd.)
11-2: 5 mi.
11-3: 8 mi.
11-4: 6 mi.
11-5: 8 mi.
11-6: 4 mi. (arrive El Rosario)
11-7: 0
11-8: 0
11-9: 11 mi. (arrive Punta Baja)
11-10: 3 mi.
11-12: 10 mi. (arrive Punta San Antonio)
11-13: 0
11-14: 9 mi.
11-15: 8 mi. (arrive Punta San Carlos)
11-16: 2 mi.
11-17: 4.5 mi.
11-18: 1.5 mi.
11-19: 3 mi. (SPOT assistance needed signal)
11-20: 2 mi.
11-21: 6 mi. (arrive Puerto Catarina)
11-22: 0
11-23: 0
11-24: 0
11-25: 16 mi.
11-26: 14 mi.
11-27: 14 mi. (arrive San Jose Fish Camp)
11-28: 10 mi.
11-29: 16 mi.
11-30: 14 mi. (arrive near Punta Maria)

Total November estimated miles of progress: 187 miles. 23 walking days. Average miles per walking day: 8.1.

A big jump in the daily miles occured after arriving at Puerto Catarina... those 6 days averaged 14 miles per day!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 06:28 PM
Weather from Punta San Carlos... 11-30-10

Got a u2u from Neil at SoloSports and he said I could share the weather report with you...

"It's Neil from up in San Carlos. I am hoping Mike is alright but I would expect he has another chapter to put in his diary today. BIG Norte up here. Had sustained 50-60 with gusts to 80 from 7am to about 10. Backed off to 20 -50 now.
He is going to be one dusty son of a gun. It will be difficult getting the tent up unless he can find some cover."

[Edited on 12-1-2010 by David K]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 06:50 PM

This whole stretch must be loaded with croakers and corbina. I hope he brought a surf rod. Surfish usually bite better with flat seas.

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I justed talked to cousin Martin Arce in rosalillita and he will have some tasty flakes of hay waiting for Don Kay when they arrive there and give me a call on his cell to let us know he go there...thanks for that DK.

Good on you Shari for that!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 07:03 PM

things calmed down here before sunset....seems like a change in the air...supposed to be a lovely next few days.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 07:15 PM

yeah, Hook! those things are everywhere, if you know where to look. getting Don Kay (the burro!) to eat those things might be an issue, though.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 07:24 PM

so windy all day today in this area of Baja.... and now it is quiet, finally ! Mike must have eaten a lot of sand ... it was horrible in the wind - cold, sand stinging skin and eyes .... there were waves rolling in on the Sea of Cortez. What odd weather this year.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

David, can you estimate about when Mike will arrive in Rosalillita...we are going to arrange for some hay and goodies to be waiting for them there.

Shari,

Please take some pictures and post any information you can find about his last week.

It would really help this thread, I think. It's been a long time since BajaGringo was in touch.
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
WOW!!!! It's tough to 'smell the roses' at the pace he is setting for himself, and company. He is on a marathon, it seems to me.

Barry

Assuming he is only traveling about 6 hours a day, 16 miles a day would be 2.7 miles an hour. That's less than the average pedestrian speed. 16 miles a day has been his max, so I don't think he is moving too fast.

I'm not sure of his average hours a day walking though, so if it is less, he is really trucking.

Brian
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Quote:

Barry

Assuming he is only traveling about 6 hours a day, 16 miles a day would be 2.7 miles an hour. That's less than the average pedestrian speed. 16 miles a day has been his max, so I don't think he is moving too fast.

I'm not sure of his average hours a day walking though, so if it is less, he is really trucking.

Blane, you done any long hikes lately??? Don't know about you but 14 + miles per day every day is exhausting for most folks. Me, I am good for about 4 miles a day, now. At my peak, about 10 to 12 miles per day was enough, and no I am not overweight (much).

My main point was that covering that much ground per day is not really fun, but a project march, IMO.

But, I appreciate your point------if you push we are supposed to be able to do 3 mph consistantly.

Barry
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
if you push we are supposed to be able to do 3 mph consistantly.

Barry

I wonder how far it is from the bar to the men's room at Sharkey's? Sometimes it seems like miles. :lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

My main point was that covering that much ground per day is not really fun, but a project march, IMO.

Barry

I totally agree. Especially with the limited daylight hours.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Quote:

Barry

Blane, you done any long hikes lately??? Don't know about you but 14 + miles per day every day is exhausting for most folks. Me, I am good for about 4 miles a day, now. At my peak, about 10 to 12 miles per day was enough, and no I am not overweight (much).

But, I appreciate your point------if you push we are supposed to be able to do 3 mph consistantly.

Barry

in my experience, if you do a multi-week/multi-month hike, it is easy to do 15 miles per day. once your body gets into the groove, the miles come easier, and you recover more quickly
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 10:56 AM

Probably true, Goat, but Mike is in his early 60's I believe-------that is a problem for many, and I know it was for me, and I made my living hiking the back Country as a Ranger--------

-----but obviously Mike is "doing it", so that proves your point, I guess.

Barry
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2010 at 11:40 AM

Mike has been hiking and training with the burro through spring and summer. And he has been walking most days since October 1. He’s clearly in great shape for his age - 62. Probably thrown away all his medications by now.

Fifteen miles a day is very doable, and I guess he’s eating up the miles along there because he’s energized by the wild remoteness and that chilling gusting wind off the Pacific, and he’s clearly reaping the benefits of lightening the load on the burro.

Even so, he’ll be looking to find the right place to rest, somewhere comfy, out of the wind with plenty of water available. But he’ll also have in mind that Cabo is still a long way off, and heat will be a factor as the months go by.

At the end of the day, Mike still has plenty of time for a little bonding and joint cultural activity with Don Kay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq19Ffl8IRk

Pages:  1  ..  28    30    32  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.