Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 10:32 PM

Yes, sure is... I might want to get out of town over the holiday and with that link you guys on Nomad can still see where his camp is each night!

Thanks again Ken!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 10:41 PM

Your Most welcome,

Glad we found you guys and Mike on this site. Graham helped us out and told us about it/ all of you great folks!
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, sure is... I might want to get out of town over the holiday and with that link you guys on Nomad can still see where his camp is each night!

Thanks again Ken!
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 10:46 PM

Thank you we are happy to be part of this great site and community of fine folks. We don't want to be misleading, Mike purchased from us. We did spend time trying to be as helpful as possible and answer as many questions as possible and help him with his product choices.

Thank You,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
my gosh he is moving fast !!

@ Southern Missouri Mule-Outfitter & Equine Supply - glad you found us at Baja Nomad and WELCOME !!!

so fantastic that you sponsored Don Kay's packing equipment !!!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by somomule
Mikes Donkey Decker also came with a Half-Breed Pad... In the picture Mike is putting them on upside out. It was probably just an oversight.

uh oh...

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:09 AM

Mike may have been distracted packing that morning as I was asking all kinds of questions about his equipment and even making a video... SEE LINK BELOW... while the poor guy was trying to feed and water and keep an eye on his burro and three dogs while also loading Don Kay.

You can clearly see the difference in the sides of the pad in the video... with the slats on just one side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_MPojVRQHY

Anyway, that was early on in his trip and he might have learned to turn the pad around. He was pretty good at inspecting the burro and pack saddle and certainly will have noticed if the Half-Breed pad was causing any problems.

Otherwise, as he approaches Guerrero Negro area and highway One I'm sure some kind passing Nomad will be able to tell him that we have it on good authority that his pad is upside down.

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:26 AM

No worries, the half breed will work either way just wanted to be helpful. Thanks for the video link I just added it to SoMoMule.com's Watch Videos page and our Somomule OutfitterSupply Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/somomule

http://www.somomule.com/multimedia_videos.html

Thank You,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by somomule]

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by somomule]
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 05:00 PM

Hey, Ken,
I went to grammar school iin Willow Springs!
Fellow Hillbilly:biggrin::biggrin:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 05:07 PM

Yessir,

We have a language all our own over here. Nice to see cya!

Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Hey, Ken,
I went to grammar school iin Willow Springs!
Fellow Hillbilly:biggrin::biggrin:
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 06:39 PM
Pac'n Fun How to Video's

I thought you'all might like to see some fun "How to Videos". I have more but thought I'd post this one and you can let me know if you want more?

Hm...just checked, does not look like it posted?

Thanks Ken
SoMoMule.com

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by somomule]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 06:59 PM
DEC. 6, 2010

Mike sent the signal out before noon today from a location about 1,000 feet north from yesterdays!? Maybe he is just enjoying the sea view from the tip of Punta Rosarito so much, he is spending a second night there...

See Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 SPOT locations on the Google Earth image:

The 'Rosarito' on the image is Arroyo Rosarito, not the town in this close up view.

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 07:03 PM

Don't anyone get their panties in a twist,............but..............

That looks like a nice surfing spot!!!:yes:;):saint:
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 07:30 PM

Looks like a nice right brake with a tube to the north!

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Don't anyone get their panties in a twist,............but..............

That looks like a nice surfing spot!!!:yes:;):saint:
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 07:33 PM

How are you receiving the those signals from Mike?

Thanks,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Mike sent the signal out before noon today from a location about 1,000 feet north from yesterdays!? Maybe he is just enjoying the sea view from the tip of Punta Rosarito so much, he is spending a second night there...

See Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 SPOT locations on the Google Earth image:

The 'Rosarito' on the image is Arroyo Rosarito, not the town in this close up view.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:16 PM

Good evening somomule!

I get the GPS SPOT emailed to me. Mike set it up so that Graham, Shari and I get the email notifications... as well as a couple others like his daughter, etc. That email has a link to a Google Maps look down view.

What I do is then take that GPS and load it into my Google Earth program, change the GPS crosshair to the hiking man icon with the date. Then, depending on the location I may do a 3-D side view instead of just a looking straight down view (as the Google Maps give).

Then I plot that location on the popular automobile club Baja road map (2007 edition) and highlight the roads or estimated route he walked and the etimated miles walked.

I have been doing this since the beginning of his journey on Oct. 1... Just scroll back up this thread to see all the maps and images I posted.

As for where he is right now, Punta Rosarito... known as 'The Wall' as there is quite an intersting rock wall that campers have been building there for wind protection. The coastline of the bay to the north is a wide flat sand beach with a wall like berm of gravel, shells and driftwood at the storm-high tide point. The dirt road from Santa Rosalillita runs along that and that berm is so tall it blocks the ocean view... like a wall.

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 06:41 AM

Very interesting. Great stuff. Glad you are doing that. Techology can be wonderful. II never stop learning more new things.

I want to keep my SoMoMule OutfitterSupply Facebook crowd up to date on Mike's trekk and of course I want to as well.

I am starting to see our facebook page watching his progress now. He's getting quite the following and I'm be asked "Hows Mike Doing", which is great.

You all are doing a terrific job in your posts and support! Thank You.

Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Good evening somomule!

I get the GPS SPOT emailed to me. Mike set it up so that Graham, Shari and I get the email notifications... as well as a couple others like his daughter, etc. That email has a link to a Google Maps look down view.

What I do is then take that GPS and load it into my Google Earth program, change the GPS crosshair to the hiking man icon with the date. Then, depending on the location I may do a 3-D side view instead of just a looking straight down view (as the Google Maps give).

Then I plot that location on the popular automobil club Baja road map (2007 edition) and highlight the roads or estimated rout he walked and the etimated miles walked.

I have been doing this since the beginning of his journey on Oct. 1... Just scroll back up this thread to see all the maps and images I posted.

As for where he is right now, Punta Rosarito... known as 'The Wall' as there is quite an intersting rock wall that campers have been building there for wind protection. The coastline of the bay to the north is a wide flat sand beach with a wall like berm of gravel, shells and driftwood at the storm-high tide point. The dirt road from Santa Rosalillita runs along that and that berm is so tall it blocks the ocean view... like a wall.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 08:18 AM

Happy to do something that others enjoy seeing... I only wish it was me on a Baja adventure instead of behind a keyboard!

To add to the process described above, I forgot to mention that the satellite image is saved to my PC, and the map I made is scanned and saved to my PC, then uploaded to Photobucket.com at the rduced size to fit on Nomad's 15" monitor size requested limit.... Then I copy and paste those image urls here on Nomad. The entire process takes me 30-60 minutes every night.

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Happy to do something that others enjoy seeing... I only wish it was me on a Baja adventure instead of behind a keyboard!

To add to the process described above, I forgot to mention that the satellite image is saved to my PC, and the map I made is scanned and saved to my PC, then uploaded to Photobucket.com at the rduced size to fit on Nomad's 15" monitor size requested limit.... Then I copy and paste those image urls here on Nomad. The entire process takes me 30-60 minutes every night.

Love the dedication! I'm my own webmaster on SoMoMule.com but still behind the curve on many things. It just gets better learning more, never ending!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 06:56 PM
Dec. 7, 2010

Mike and company walked an estimated 12 miles today and have made camp just off Hwy. 1 on a road that goes to El Tomatal... :O http://vivabaja.com/et

skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:38 PM
thanks DK

I had know idea that you were spending that much time everyday day keeping this post current. I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying reading about Mike's progress.

Thanks!!!!
If I ever meet you I will be buying you a beer!
Lori
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skipowell
I had know idea that you were spending that much time everyday day keeping this post current. I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying reading about Mike's progress.

Thanks!!!!
If I ever meet you I will be buying you a beer!
Lori

Me too!
Thanks for your hard work!
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.