Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 12:50 AM

And David, I sure appreciate all your great work and time on this thread and on Nomad in general. You make it so easy to follow Mike's progress.

And it's great to see him steadily moving along. Thanks to his burro gear he's no doubt having a better packing experience that I did.

On my journey to Loreto the load on the donkey's back was secured with string, duct tape, and bungees. Time consuming.

No wonder Mision occasionally flopped down in protest.

Or let the load slide under his belly

And complained to the authorities

But hey, we got there in the end... ignorance is bliss!

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 05:39 AM
Thanks Graham

Graham thanks for the terrific photos you have posted of Mike and your trip. They are beyond cool!!!!!

I think my Otis & Your Mission may be relatives?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 07:06 AM

Graham, I can see where Mission had cause to register a complaint with the authorities....pic #2 gives the distinct impression that you also made him balance a jug of water on top of his head! :lol: :lol:

The expression on his face in pic #3 pretty much sums up his thoughts on his gringo's abilities to secure the load....bungee cords & duct tape indeed! :rolleyes: :no:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 07:35 AM
Graham

Where was photo #1 taken????? Did you see any Trout??

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:35 AM

Great recap of your second book with those photos Graham!

I love Baja as much as all of you, and love maps too... so keeping track of Mike on maps is fun and I am happy to contribute to Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Graham, I can see where Mission had cause to register a complaint with the authorities....pic #2 gives the distinct impression that you also made him balance a jug of water on top of his head! :lol: :lol:

The expression on his face in pic #3 pretty much sums up his thoughts on his gringo's abilities to secure the load....bungee cords & duct tape indeed! :rolleyes: :no:

Looks like the jug is on the ground to me, but only Graham knows for sure.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 10:56 AM

Photo #1 taken on the NW side of the Sierra Juarez. No trout seen there but I did see them in Rio San Antonio and other rivers of the Sierra San Pedro Martir, until a series of El Nino winter storms turned them into boiling, rock-rolling cascades. Amazed I ever got my burro out of there... went ten days without seeing anyone.

I'm sure Mision has a lot of relatives. He was good at producing them. He left a string of little Misions as he bred his way down the Baja. It was quite a shock for a city boy like myself to have to witness that and take lots of photos.

The jug on his head might have contained beer! It was generally what was on my mind after Tecate agreed to sponsor and supply beer for the trip.

And things weren't quite as bad as it looked... the bungees, string and duct tape were usually for repairs and for holding everything together. Hey, in Mexico you learn to improvise.

Heavens, by the time I got to the Head and Mother of the Missions of Lower and Upper California, parts of me were being held in place with string and duct tape.

Last I heard Mision was still in glorious retirement near La Purisima, no doubt waiting for his old buddy to return and take him on another 1000 mile burrito-making adventure.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 11:04 AM

Good to hear Mision is still alive and kicking... I was affraid we would lose the information on him after Jim Dandy passed on.

Photo of Misión at La Purisima in 2002, from Neal Johns:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Last I heard Mision was still in glorious retirement near La Purisima, no doubt waiting for his old buddy to return and take him on another 1000 mile burrito-making adventure.

Graham, are you considering another trip???

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:00 PM
Dec. 8, 2010

Mike and company traveled approx. 10 miles today and are camping along an old dirt road at the base of the dune field... about 4 miles north-west of Villa Jesus Maria.

View northwest...

New map (larger are than previous, so the distances traveled by Mike are looking smaller, but are not):

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:12 PM

are there any people where Mike is now traveling or is he totally on his own? Shari - did he ever meet up with the niece of the uncle of the brother in santa rosalillita ?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 12:32 AM

It's a long way off, and a lot could happen, but when Mike gets to Cabo he'll need to return to Max and Rusty and find a good home for Solo. He asked me if I'd consider taking her. She's the sweetest most loyal companion you can imagine, mellow and magnificent with burros, people and cats, smart and very desert wise.

I'd give her a home in a heartbeat but I'm sure someone along the way or at journey's end will fall in love with her.

Or maybe Mike will change his mind...

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 12:42 AM

Wow, this is good stuff!!!
Gulwinky

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 12:45 AM

to even HINT that Mike is cruel to animals shows absolutly NO knowledge of the man himself... reading thru these threads you only get a glimpse of him... *I* have known him for well over 10 years and he would NEVER treat an animal in anyway but 'nice' ...now big black hairy spiders just MAY be a different story, but... LOL anyhow, I finally registured here after reading over 26 or so pages of this journey... We (my other half) and I kinda lost track of Mike over the last couple years and I was quite surprized when I googled him and came up with this 'trip'... thinkin back it DOES sound TOTALLY MIKE tho, and to also HINT that he issn't prepaired for this journey also shows that one does NOT know the man... He (as has been said in newspaper articles and even here) has spent many weeks prior to takin off on this journey hiding some stuff in stash spots, and prolly gathering more info on "what to expect" than any baja racer or support person that decided to 'head south of the border' to help out in some off the road in the middle of nowhere place/pit ;)

anyhow, koodoz to Mike for having a dream and goin about doing it in a responsible way, and I hope he makes it without any 'more' problems than he has already encountered... WAY WAY WAY to many people just dream and do NOTHING about achieving their 'dreams'...

Alex Mikhael

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
150 lbs. was always the limit on pack animals in the Sierra Nevada, when we utilized them (frequently). These were a combination of donkeys, burros and pack horses.

But, of course, they didnt need to carry their own water. There were streams aplenty.

If that animal dies or is injured permanently, PETA is gonna have a new poster boy.

Anyway, after he reads all this, he'll realize (as so many of us have) that the publicity of the Nomads board can be a two-edged sword.

added... I really hope he keeps Solo, I KNOW Mike is a 'smaller doggie person' at heart, but to spend soo much time and get soo close to a doggie, that doggie chose HIM so personally, I KNOW he needs to keep Solo ;)

[Edited on 12-9-2010 by Gulwinky]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:04 AM

Gulwinky Alex, welcome to the Nomad board!

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:12 AM

thanks for that Gulwinky...nice to have more insight into Mike's character and also nice to have a new member to Nomadlandia...it will be nice for you to hook up with your amigo when he returns stateside.

Yes, I think Martin got some hay arranged for DonKay in Rosalillita but not sure he stayed with them. We might try to go see him when he gets closer to GN.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 09:05 AM

I just wanted to attest to Mike's Kindness to his animals. While I have never met Mike personally I did spend many days on the phone with him when he purchased his pack gear from us and was preparing to make his trip.

Mike was always concerned about comfort for Don'Kay on his trip. He purchased nothing less than top of the line pack gear from us. He could have chosen a less expensive pack pad but insisted on the best.

Mike also upgraded his cinch to a comfortable breathable neoprene cinch. The change was a good one and we are sure Don-Kay appreciated that!

Mike did not cut corners. He knew his trip would be long and arduous. He talked about insuring he and Don-Kay had ample water and how he was planning to do that.

He spoke with Graham I am sure many time. Graham is the " man in the know" he has been there done that. We are sure Graham's experience and kindness in helping mike has gone a long way. Thanks for all you have done and do Graham!

MIke asked me many questions and I provided as much assistance as I could. In the end Mike made all the right choices to insure safety and kindness for his animals.

We believe Mike to be a genuine kind Man with courage and tenacity that can only be admired and envied!

Ken
Southern Missouri Mule -Outfitter & Equine Supply.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulwinky
.. I really hope he keeps Solo,

The bonding process knows no bounds. He won't be able to part company with this dog. It would be like giving away a sibling....one that you liked, of course. :)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 09:50 AM

Just remembering how nice Shirley McClain looked riding her burro in High Plains Drifter with Clint.
I'm sure she was under 150 lbs !! :biggrin:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 10:08 AM

Diver... You sure that movie was not 'Two Mules for Sister Sara'?

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.