Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 12:29 AM

I just read this whole post, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I really enjoyed it! Very entertaining! You Nomads are quite the cast of characters:) I wish Mike the best on his awesome adventure. Some of you have wondered about snakes. I was not too far from where Mike is now in Nov. and I spent 3 weeks doing tons of hiking daily and saw no snakes. In April I was in the same area and saw 8 snakes. So, time of year thing? In April there were several GIANT swarms of bees but none in Nov. Snakes I don't care for but those bees freaked me out. Hopefully Mike, Don Kay and Solo avoid both these things. I tried to attach a pic of a rattlesnake I took but even compressed it's way too big:(
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 12:34 AM

There are instructions for ways to post photos on Nomad posted in the Baja Photography Forum here... I hope you are able to figure it out okay, I would like to see them... and welcome to Nomad! Use the Search feature at the top of the page and search 'How To Post a Photo'

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 08:38 AM

OK, compressed and shrunk.

[Edited on 12-12-2010 by goldhuntress]

P1000201(1).JPG - 50kB
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:19 AM

beautiful snake
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 06:29 PM
Dec. 12, 2010

About mid-day today, Mike sent out a signal just east of yesterday's... Now at the Y intersction for Guerrero Negro...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:29 PM

Mike just called on his cell phone. Said he took advantage of an offer by a rancher to shoe Don Kay and give him a place to rest .

So having reached Baja California Sur, Mike and Co. will be enjoying a well earned break for 2-3 days.

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:33 PM

There are kind people everywhere and in every country! Let his, well deserved rest be memorable and his accomplishments unforgettable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Mike just called on his cell phone. Said he took advantage of an offer by a rancher to shoe Don Kay and give him a place to rest .

So having reached Baja California Sur, Mike and Co. will be enjoying a well earned break for 2-3 days.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:50 PM

When will the army of Paparazzi be buzzing around him like he's Mr. Gaga? :O
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 08:33 PM

I wonder if Mike, is going back to the coast line, maybe BA and then off to La Bocana.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

Thanks Graham...

Is there a hint if he is going to go the long way around to Bahia Asuncion along highways or short-cut across the desert via Ojo de Liebre spring?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 07:25 AM

We're headed down to our place in BA on Saturday. We'll keep our eyes posted for Mike. Graham, let me know if Mike needs anything or a place to stay.

Zac

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 07:59 AM

Is DonKay being re-shoed (shod?) or is this his first pair? Hope they look like Chuck Taylor's high-top Allstars.:D
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 08:04 AM

I thought he might stop and visit "Maruchan" at the cowboy ranch at the "Y"...they are a friendly bunch.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I thought he might stop and visit "Maruchan" at the cowboy ranch at the "Y"...they are a friendly bunch.

If Mike makes it to BA, he is welcome to set up on our lots and let Don Gay graze away !!
It probably hasn't been grazed since Martio roamed .....
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 09:24 AM

Interesting update. Don Kay didn't have shoes - Mike says shoes make their hooves slip on rocks. But maybe best for the task at hand now. Goldhuntress - where exactly were you where you found 8 snakes? In 35 years of Baja travel, I've only seen 2 snakes. Mike sure didn't stick around long in GN. So glad he's doing well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Interesting update. Don Kay didn't have shoes - Mike says shoes make their hooves slip on rocks. But maybe best for the task at hand now. Goldhuntress - where exactly were you where you found 8 snakes? In 35 years of Baja travel, I've only seen 2 snakes. Mike sure didn't stick around long in GN. So glad he's doing well.

I think it is the month of April that you must be there... In all the years of my trips... I have only seen rattlesnakes in April on our Spring Break trips... In 2003, we saw three rattlesnakes, in one trip! Remember the one Sarah is playing with, on the stick?

The first rattlesnake I recall seeing in Baja was April, 1974 while walking from Mision San Fernando to the rock art cliff just west of it.

Although, we did come upon a dead rattlesnake in June, 2006 the day after the Baja 500...

Here is Roy (The Squarecircle) checking it out...

[Edited on 12-13-2010 by David K]

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 09:57 AM

You wanta encounter rattlesnakes - lots of 'em?
Go to the 'mountains' above San Bartolo in early May. That's rattlesnake mating season and in some areas it's difficult to walk 30-40 feet without seeing yet another snake. They're also kinda hyped up right then, so ya gotta be very alert.

When JR was building his Bamboo Parque up there, he laid stone steps leaving a hollow behind/beneath each step. Big mistake. One day we're having a rest in camp when one big mother rattlesnake slithers through the center of us like nobody's business, then takes up residence beneath the stone steps.

JR's right hand man Flaco proceeded to make a 'snake-catcher' - a sturdy stick with a 'y' on one end. He carefully approached those steps and kinda poked at the rattler until its head was in the right position.... then - whap! - Flaco slams that 'y' part of the stick just behind the head of the snake, pinning it to the ground. After that he cut off its head with a machete. A very impressive sight, it was indeed. Later that day construction for closing up those stairs was begun.:lol:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 10:08 AM

In June 2006 at Punta Baja on the first night of my first Baja trip after many years, I set up my cot with my head about 12" from the rear wheel for a windbreak.

When we were pulling out the next morning, someone noticed a small rattler had crawled up on my warm brake drum (the one I slept next to) for the evening.:wow:

No worries
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

True story, shoes can cause an animal to slip on rocks although they do pretty well in them and figure it our quickly. Smaller Donkeys, large standards like Don-Kay are rarely shod because the distance from the white line of the hoof to outside of the lamine is very thin and troublesome to hold nails if they are not put in just right. If a shoe starts to come off it may be necessary to pull it and he may not find another Farrier to re-set it. Then Don-Kay will be on three tires instead of four so-to speak. Mike would need a clinch cutter to break the nail clinches and a shoe puller to pull a bad shoe.

Don Kay could make the trip fine without shoes as long as Don-Kay's load does not exceed 20% of his weight and if Mike has a farrier rasp and knows how to taper up the hoof every couple of days.

Ken
SoMoMule.com
Farrier-Tucson School of Horseshoeing 1996
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2010 at 11:17 AM

On the recommendation of a couple of ranchers I had my burro shod a month into my six month Baja burro journey.

Cost me a gallon of cheap tequila. They did a great job. Shoes lasted till they became so thin they more or less fell off three months later when they'd pretty much done their job.

Mision was not overly excited by the idea of having nails hammered into his hooves.

Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.