Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  37    39    41  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 08:23 AM

Thank you Shari... I am so happy that Mike is there because I know how well you treat guests at Bahia Asuncion, having been one myself!

I was really worried after reading Ralph's post that Mike was going to blow off the Vizcaino Peninsula detour and walk to San Ignacio without experiencing your hospitality!

Merry Christmas! Happy Eclipse Tonight, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 08:30 AM

Yeah...we were pretty bummed when we read he was going to bypass asuncion which is why we put plan B into action...just go get him! I'm sure it will be a hilarious few days.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 08:38 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Good for you Shari! A Canadian kidnapping plan... or is that BURROnapping?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:47 AM

what a nice story,, Shari you and Juan are one in a million
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:52 AM

That is just awesome Shari! I know that Mike and company will share a memorable holiday season with you guys. Give Mike our best...
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 10:05 AM

I'm very happy that Mike, et al. will be in goods hands and subject to making merry.
PS: Solo's name is Solo Vieno (I come alone)
Give that doggie a big hug for me - and tell Mike I said HI.
Merry Christmas to you all
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 10:15 AM

Shari thank you for sharing and the wonderful pictures. May you all have a merry Christmas and happy New Year and I wish Mike, Don-Key and Solo the very best when they continue their journey.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Yeah...we were pretty bummed when we read he was going to bypass asuncion which is why we put plan B into action...just go get him! I'm sure it will be a hilarious few days.

We are so glad to hear you put Plan B into effect Shari. Sure hope they stay a week and take advantage of the town's hospitality.

Tell me something....does Redmesa still have Nieve? Think that's how you spell it.

:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 10:44 AM
Mike's December Miles (so far)

I just spoke with Mike on the phone from Bahia Asuncion... and he sounds so happy to be there! Great job Juan in finding the trio at Vizcaino!

Mike was asking about the daily distance figures...
DECEMBER:
1: past Punta Lobos: 11 miles
2: past Punta Prieta (on the coast): 13 miles
3: to Santa Rosalillita: 7 miles
4: 0
5: to Punta Rosarito: 10 miles
6: 0
7: to El Tomatal road: 12 miles
8: to near Jesus Maria: 11 miles
9: to Laguna Manuela: 6 miles
10: 12 miles
11: to Guerrero Negro: 6 miles
12-15: 0
16: to near Benito Juarez road: 14 miles
17: 13 miles
18: to 2 miles from Vizcaino: 13 miles.
19: to Vizcaino where Juan found him: 2 miles?

Total for December, so far: 130 miles... 13 walking days = 10 miles per day average miles per walking day.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 11:16 AM

Yeehaa !! or is that Yeehaw !?
Shari, again, you are one in a million and we are glad to know you !!
Best holiday wishes to you all !!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 11:24 AM
Bump for Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
On Nov. 1 Mike began his day 3 miles south of Colonia Vicente Guerrero (12 miles north of San Quintin).

The miles are from point to point and estimated, not included are side trips, etc.

11-1: 12 mi. (arrive near San Quintin Bay rd.)
11-2: 5 mi.
11-3: 8 mi.
11-4: 6 mi.
11-5: 8 mi.
11-6: 4 mi. (arrive El Rosario)
11-7: 0
11-8: 0
11-9: 11 mi. (arrive Punta Baja)
11-10: 3 mi.
11-12: 10 mi. (arrive Punta San Antonio)
11-13: 0
11-14: 9 mi.
11-15: 8 mi. (arrive Punta San Carlos)
11-16: 2 mi.
11-17: 4.5 mi.
11-18: 1.5 mi.
11-19: 3 mi. (SPOT assistance needed signal)
11-20: 2 mi.
11-21: 6 mi. (arrive Puerto Catarina)
11-22: 0
11-23: 0
11-24: 0
11-25: 16 mi.
11-26: 14 mi.
11-27: 14 mi. (arrive San Jose Fish Camp)
11-28: 10 mi.
11-29: 16 mi.
11-30: 14 mi. (arrive near Punta Maria)

Total November estimated miles of progress: 187 miles. 23 walking days. Average miles per walking day: 8.1.

A big jump in the daily miles occured after arriving at Puerto Catarina... those 6 days averaged 14 miles per day!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 11:28 AM
Bump for Mike...

Quote:
Good Morning, as today is Nov. 1... and Mike began his walk with Don-Kay on Oct. 1, I thought I would estimate the miles he has walked in the first month.

I am using the AAA map as it has mileages on all the roads, and Mike has almost always been on or parallel to the roads. The mileage numbers are rounded up to the next whole number.

As you know, he has rested on a few days... so the total is an average for both the days walking and days not walking.

Oct. 1 - Oct. 7 = 39 miles
Oct. 8 - Oct. 14 = 48 miles
Oct. 15 - Oct. 21 = 61 miles
Oct. 22 - Oct. 28 = 49 miles
Oct. 29 - Oct. 31 = 22 miles

Total for October = 219 miles

Daily average = 7.06 miles.

The most miles in one day is approx. 14

Naturally, there could be much more walking than just the point to point distances on a map. Perhaps Mike is keeping a GPS log for each day's distance?

Good job Mike!

At this pace, he should be in the Seven Sisters region at the end of November (Punta Blanco to Santa Rosalillita) or beyond if his pace increases?

Maybe Bahia Asuncion to Punta Abreojos region by the end of November?

Just estimates, naturally!

OCT. 219 miles
NOV. 187 miles
DEC. 130 miles (so far)

Total: 536 miles!

[Edited on 12-20-2010 by David K]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 12:31 PM

The donkey ate your palm tree? That's hilarious.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 04:44 PM

Barbareno! Nieve is free on the desert with a promise to me that she will never be machaca. However, I collected Don Kay and we had a nice walk on the playa and he got to much some salt grass. He is now in our compound looking ready to go a roamin' again. I hope there is an alfalfa delivery soon.

Think I will get out that bottle of Kahlua you left me and make up some paralyzes tonight's solstice party.
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 05:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just spoke to Mike on the Phone at 6:35 p.m. Central Time. He say's hello to everyone and said he is doing great and happy to be spending the holiday with friends and Don Kay getting a well deserved rest.

We talked about Don Kay, his shoes and pack gear. I mentioned to Mike how to tell when the shoes show signs of excessive wear and when they need to come off. He turned the half bred around also.

Mike said he is staying until the 24th and then on the road again. I heard folks in the background so I am sure he has lots of company!

it is important to remember that mileage a day is not the issue and Mike and Don Kay cannot exceed their capacity based on terrain and weather. It is only important that they arrive wherever and whenever safely.

Don-Kay had a hard time being gone from his ranch for the first two weeks of the trip and had never crossed water before. He is a seasoned veteran of both now.

Don Kay is a Mexican Donkey and will most likely remain in Mexico when the trip is over but I hope to work on a U.S. Donkey for Mike that he can keep on our farm in Southern Missouri. Mike and I discussed making a U.S. trip in the future..... hopefully we can put that together.

I called him at 52-160-0320 on my Skype Phone and it worked great.

Shari, Mike gave me your number. Please stay in touch if I can help.

Mike remains humble and wonderful as the day is long and enjoying the festive skys.

Ken
SoMoMule.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 07:01 PM

Glad you talked to him Ken, when we talked earlier today, I told him that one of the items was on backwards per you reply a couple weeks ago. So, I am glad you gave him the correct info.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 07:09 PM

Shari ! Tell Mike to hang in there and walk to la bocana... we shall be back in la bocana on the 27th ...

his dog is the kindest animal .... just sweet as can be.

and I had never been near a donkey and boy - they are loving too.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 07:15 PM

Hi David,

You bet David, it's was all good! I was delighted to get the chance to visit with him. Mike has transcended in a few months what it takes some packers much longer to accomplish!

I was truly in awe of the pack animal experience he spoke of as if he had been doing it much longer. He spoke as if he had been doing it for years but ever so humble. Truly impressive.

I think the hardest thing in life is just doing it and Mike has!

Ken

Quote:
Glad you talked to him Ken, when we talked earlier today, I told him that one of the items was on backwards per you reply a couple weeks ago. So, I am glad you gave him the correct info.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:06 PM

Wonderful news Mike's there with Shari and Juan.

Enjoy the eclipse and the solstice you lucky guys. Sounds like a fun party in Asuncion. And a well earned rest for Mike, Don Kay, and Solo... and David can also take his well earned rest from months of assiduous map-making.

I hope somomule got that wrong about staying till the 24th and then hitting the road again??? Hope Mike has beautiful hospitality through Christmas and then on to La Bocana to spend time with BajaBlanca.

Get the dynamic trio well rested and ready for the next 500 miles or so.

somomule
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:11 PM

Correction on the number i reached Mike on. It was:
52-615-160-0320 via my Skype Phone.

I missed the 615 in my post...

Quote:
Originally posted by somomule
Hi Everyone,

I just spoke to Mike on the Phone at 6:35 p.m. Central Time. He say's hello to everyone and said he is doing great and happy to be spending the holiday with friends and Don Kay getting a well deserved rest.

We talked about Don Kay, his shoes and pack gear. I mentioned to Mike how to tell when the shoes show signs of excessive wear and when they need to come off. He turned the half bred around also.

Mike said he is staying until the 24th and then on the road again. I heard folks in the background so I am sure he has lots of company!

it is important to remember that mileage a day is not the issue and Mike and Don Kay cannot exceed their capacity based on terrain and weather. It is only important that they arrive wherever and whenever safely.

Don-Kay had a hard time being gone from his ranch for the first two weeks of the trip and had never crossed water before. He is a seasoned veteran of both now.

Don Kay is a Mexican Donkey and will most likely remain in Mexico when the trip is over but I hope to work on a U.S. Donkey for Mike that he can keep on our farm in Southern Missouri. Mike and I discussed making a U.S. trip in the future..... hopefully we can put that together.

I called him at 52-160-0320 on my Skype Phone and it worked great.

Shari, Mike gave me your number. Please stay in touch if I can help.

Mike remains humble and wonderful as the day is long and enjoying the festive skys.

Ken
SoMoMule.com
 Pages:  1  ..  37    39    41  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.